Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed the weekly shop mud shoveling chore when #1son dropped by to help with a small project and test drove the KRX to see how the radios, intercom nand and navigation worked. Even money he has a new KRX before our trip in April 馃槃 He got mine a little muddy so I figured I'd ask about your favorite way to clean your machines. I'm going to wait a few days until the storm system we're waiting on to pass, than hit it with a pressure washer, and try a new fangled foam cannon thingie to see how it works. I normally just use a soft RV brush. Dry with a leaf blower and chamois. Posted this because I wondering how members here deal with this chore. Hopefully something easier as I'm a total slacker on cleaning.

Premium Member
2020 KRX
No mud where I am, just dust. So I just pressure wash it, and take it for a quick spin around the bock.

Registered
I just completed the weekly shop mud shoveling chore when #1son dropped by to help with a small project and test drove the KRX to see how the radios, intercom nand and navigation worked. Even money he has a new KRX before our trip in April 馃槃 He got mine a little muddy so I figured I'd ask about your favorite way to clean your machines. I'm going to wait a few days until the storm system we're waiting on to pass, than hit it with a pressure washer, and try a new fangled foam cannon thingie to see how it works. I normally just use a soft RV brush. Dry with a leaf blower and chamois. Posted this because I wondering how members here deal with this chore. Hopefully something easier as I'm a total slacker on cleaning.

View attachment 2337 View attachment 2338
Take it to the car wash then come home and open a cold beer and hand wash it 馃槃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Take it to the car wash then come home and open a cold beer and hand wash it
LOL....I wish. The nearest carwash is 15 miles down the very road that got it muddy in the first place. Our car wash guy is pretty cool though. I've seen him not bat an eye when a big ass gooseneck flat bed with 3 caked with bog mud UTVs pulled in and washed what must have been #500 of mud into his sediment clarifier.

Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
Pressure washer at home, has foam cannon nozzle and containers already on it. I use meguiars car wash soap. Leaves the plastic and seats super nice. Not sure if it has some sort of conditioners. Stay away from brushes they scratch the plastic easy. Hand dry with micro fibers. Detail with chemical guys interior cleaner. No greasy mess just pure natural shine and always makes everything look new again.

Registered
I have used dozens of different soaps and degreasers. The only thing that I swear by is slick products! Makes the machine look brand new every wash. Here is my method:

1. Power wash all the mud and dirt off
2. Hand wash with the off-road wash by slick. I do small areas at a time. Keep the machine wet where you washed so it doesn鈥檛 air dry
3. Use slick degreaser for spot treatment if needed
4. After the machine is all washed, rinse the machine very well
5. Get the backpack blower out and dry the machine
6. Use the slick shine & protectant on all the plastic and seats.

If you use this method, especially the shine & protectant, the next time you have to power wash it, it will clean up much better.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pressure washer at home, has foam cannon nozzle and containers already on it. I use meguiars car wash soap. Leaves the plastic and seats super nice. Not sure if it has some sort of conditioners. Stay away from brushes they scratch the plastic easy. Hand dry with micro fibers. Detail with chemical guys interior cleaner. No greasy mess just pure natural shine and always makes everything look new again.
Thanks for the input! I just realized that I treat our Pioneer like a piece of work equipment when it is cleaned. Same with the ATVs. I don't mean to say they are brushed with a wire brush or anything like that, but I haven't really thought about keeping them super nice. The KRX is a lot nicer finish wise and I'd like to keep it that way as long as possible. This is kind of a new learning experience cleaning wise.

Registered
I live close to a hot pressure washing station. The place has all I need including blowers. Takes me about 15 minutes to go from muddy mayhem to showroom clean. I try to hit it up before putting anything away in my shop.

Registered
Haven't need to clean the new KRX, yet, but I'll do it the way I've cleaned my ATVs--high pressure sprayer and drip dry. I'm not into all the super shine stuff--I'm a LOT more into getting it dirty! :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haven't need to clean the new KRX, yet, but I'll do it the way I've cleaned my ATVs--high pressure sprayer and drip dry. I'm not into all the super shine stuff--I'm a LOT more into getting it dirty! :)
You can see I got the getting it dirty part down :) This time of year, just driving down the driveway gets messy. I have to scrape and shovel mud out of the shop at least once a week between my truck, UTV/ATV, and plow equipment in and out. After mud season, the shop floor gets pressure washed and things get back to somewhat normal. I do the ATVs and the Pioneer like you do, just pressure wash with hot water and drip dry. The KRX warrants a higher level treatment ( at least every few cleanings) because they do clean up no nicely.

Registered
This is a great thread. Aren't the slick products pretty expensive? Anyways here's my routine. Winter is usually a bit different due to more mud. 1400 psi Ryobi electric pressure washer first. I don't like to blow water into ball joints and bushings. The a lance filled with a carwash soap. A good wipedown with a washmitt and back to pressure washer.

I then load up a cheap paint gun with wd 40 and mist the suspension, motor, exhaust, radiator and outside plastic. Let is sit for a bit as the wd 40 displaces all the water and then wipe it down with microfiber cloth. I the use a soaked cloth to wipe down the interior. It's amazing how everything comes off under the pressure washer after a few treatments. Also, the suspension never develops any squeaking.

Registered
Slick is kinda pricey. But worth it in my opinion. Cuts down on cleaning time by a lot. I like to keep my stuff looking good, and people always compliment that my machine looks new. They usually have promo codes for 15% off. Once you buy once, they send you sales to your email often

Registered
I like the WD40 idea--especially the suspension. I've used it as a general purpose cleaner for a variety of stuff but never thought to use it on my off road toys. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I then load up a cheap paint gun with wd 40 and mist the suspension, motor, exhaust, radiator and outside plastic. Let is sit for a bit as the wd 40 displaces all the water and then wipe it down with microfiber cloth
I remember reading, or seeing a you Tube video on doing the WD40 thing. The guys doing the video swore by it and their machines looked awesome after a quick mud clean up. They said it made clean up a LOT easier. In fact, I bought some extra to try. Than I think I read something about it not being so good for long term use on plastic? I need to revisit that. It sure sounds like a good way to go as this time of year, I think the mud actually breaks into the shop and jumps on stuff it is so bad.:) These responses are GREAT! I have learned a bunch!

Premium Member
2020 KRX
Here鈥檚 a trick that I used to do on my ATV鈥檚 when I lived back east. Take pledge clear floor wax and apply it to all your plastics. Mud will just slide right off it.

Registered
I've tried several different things over the years. I like to keep my rig clean and fortunately have a hotsy hot psi washer.. soap it down and let it stand a bit soapy before spraying it off always seems to help release the grime.. when done and still wet.. I walk around with armorall, or similar that's on sale slick or Lucas works the best. mist it all over. Then wipe it all down with a towel. Sometimes the Alkaline from the mud will leave a white spots.. spray on scrubbing bubbles usually takes those right off.. The WD 40 thing.. don't get it on your plastic it tends to dull or etch it!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The WD 40 thing.. don't get it on your plastic it tends to dull or etch it!
Almost made the WD40 mistake (had a gallon bought but I got a ton of other uses for it so no loss), glad I missed that train wreck. I have hot water for the washer so, I'm pretty much leaning to your technique. I think the plastics dull over time if you aren't doing some kind of treatment at least once in a while.

Registered
Almost made the WD40 mistake (had a gallon bought but I got a ton of other uses for it so no loss), glad I missed that train wreck. I have hot water for the washer so, I'm pretty much leaning to your technique. I think the plastics dull over time if you aren't doing some kind of treatment at least once in a while.
yea wd40 contains kerosene not the best for the vinyl decals.. also watch out for degreaser will also etch plastic or vinyl in a big hurry..
btw.. looks like I may have to push back my trip to Ticaboo a couple of weeks.. may end up there end up there the same week as you..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts