Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just read the thread on removing or disconnecting the front sway bar on the standard KRX. I've either disconnected the front sway bar on our previous side x sides, or on our Polaris TRE never had one. Now we own the KRX eS and it has front and rear sway bars. Why? Isn't the whole concept of Live Valve electronic Suspension it's ability to maintain a level stance through varied terrain? If so, then why do we need 2 sway bars? By the way we've only owned it for 3 days and it has less than 4 miles of lawn and ditch crossing. Maybe some of you guys have ideas on why Kawasaki thinks it needs both systems. We are headed to Lake City Wednesday for serious riding. I think we're going to like this new machine!
Dwight

·
Registered
259 Posts
ALL electronic suspension models (can-am, polaris, etc) continue to run traditional sway bars from what I have seen. Not just the KRX

Yes the electronic suspensions in theory can help to control sway by stiffing outside shocks but I dont believe to the level of replacing the sway bar entirely. Those things encounter some pretty severe forces in hard turns. Taking away traditional sway control would require some SERIOUS stiffing of the outside shocks to compensate. So much you probably wouldnt like the ride.

Many do disconnect on no-ES models but I wonder what affect that would have on an ES model?? The ECU behind the ES has no way of knowing the sway is connected.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sandman, that was going to be my next question. If we had purchased the standard model disconnecting the front sway bar would have been my first mod. I'll learn much more about how all of this works beginning this Thursday when we get to Lake City. This KRX eS was kinda of a hard sell to the Boss Lady, having some red paint helped but I'm hoping the Cadillac ride will win her over. ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
My guess is that relying solely on the stiffness of the shock would require "locking" it up to support the majority of the vehicles weight and not allowing suspension travel. Sway bar is flexing allowing controlled body roll and wheel travel at the same time. Tune for your riding style, high speed you need it, low speed crawling is better disconnected. This is why they make quick disconnects. eS is the *hit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
while i don't own a ES model, i've never felt the sway bars as a hindrance for anything on the KRX..... my riding is everything from rock crawling to high speed flat out driving and the suspension never disappoints. it rides smooth in all situations and i get full suspension travel even when it's just me driving and no passenger. now on our Yamaha Wolverine it's a different story, disconnecting the sway bar in the rear definitely helped it ride better and gave it more articulation over the rocks. you have to look at where the sway bars mount to understand why..... in the rear they hook to the trailing arms which makes it so they have good affect on body roll without being a limiting factor on suspension travel. in the front again the mounting point allows the suspension to move but the sway bars length from where the end links attach to where it pivots on the frame is long to allow for alot of suspension travel while still making the sway bar effective and allow it to have good control on body roll in the corners without limiting suspension travel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts