Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to figure out which road to go down with a GPS? I want a tablet, I want something that tracks my path, but also want something that I can plan my routes.
What are some good choices that run strictly off of GPS???

·
Registered
782 Posts
Samsung Android tablets have some pretty impressive gps capabilities I'm usually within 20'-30', or closer, of where it says when checking with a Garmin hand held GPS.. Playing with onX off road app currently. Its a little weak in the map dept, it installs on a desktop and your mobile devices and syncs between them so you can plan on your desktop and play on your tab. Super easy to download a GPX route file and apply to map. I've used a few other apps with android tabs and they all track movement very well. Liking onX so far but still evaluating. Going to spend some time on the desktop laying out some local trails next week to so how that goes. Signed up after the free trial. YMMV

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a Samsung Tab A. Mine unmounts pretty quickly off the Ram mount if I have trouble seeing it, which wasn't that big of a deal. I also place mine in a ziplock bag for rides so it doesnt get loaded up with mud.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
899 Posts
I haven't tried Lifetime Trail Maps but I have used BackCountry Navigator with Bob T's maps. I bought a refurbished Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10" from Amazon for $110. $15 bucks for the BackCountry Navigator app and of course Bob T's maps are free. I use a computer everyday so I didn't have trouble setting it up. The app is very powerful so that means it is not always the easiest to use... best to practice on local trails for a while until you get the hang of it. Make your own tracks, save your waypoints, etc. On local trails you know. If no trails - get in the car and drive around on local roads, the point is to learn how to use it before you need to rely on it.

Basically what Bob T's maps are is a collection of waypoints and tracks for the locations he's documented. West Virginia seems to be the most popular. They overlay on top of the terrain the app shows you. You can turn all waypoints & tracks off, and then just turn on what you want. After making your own track you can export it to share with others or to preserve it. The Google Earth app on a computer can open these tracks so you can look at them later.

I put mine in a Ram mount with a 1.5" (C-size) ball since its such a big tablet. The 10" tablet is a little on the large size. I started this in my Wolverine X2 and now I'm moving it to the KRX where there is so much more room, the 10" might be ok. I've often thought if I were doing it again I would do a 7" or an 8".

·
Registered
782 Posts
So in your guy’s opinion, is the 10” to big? Should I go with an 8” instead?
I appreciate everyone’s feedback!!!
I'd go with a C size ball Ram mount and a 10"tab. Rock solid. Add a clear dry bag tablet protector for wet days if your running open cab. 10" is pretty readable for me from the drivers side when mounted on the passenger side grab bar.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm actually doing the opposite. Going from an 8" to a 10". Tab A's are running a TFT display which I've found catch a lot of reflection and don't quite have the contrast ratio to see easily in a sunlit cab. I'll be picking up something with an OLED display, personally. Mounting orientation can certainly cut down on reflection, but if you're going to mount flush with the dash so both you and a passenger can see the screen OLED would be my recommendation.

I prefer GAIA, and their recent update to switch to dark mode was a nice add. OnX is a close second.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Lifetime trail maps - Galaxy Tablet in a protective case and mounted to the grab handle. In case, 9 inches long. Have bee using this tablet since 2017 have not had any issues. Ride about 2000 miles a year. If I get into some really nasty stuff I'll put a 1 gallon zip-lock bag over it. The GPS has been Dead Nuts and the program has a lot of useful features.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Lifetime trail maps - Galaxy Tablet in a protective case and mounted to the grab handle. In case, 9 inches long. Have bee using this tablet since 2017 have not had any issues. Ride about 2000 miles a year. If I get into some really nasty stuff I'll put a 1 gallon zip-lock bag over it. The GPS has been Dead Nuts and the program has a lot of useful features.

View attachment 1713
Does the Lifetime Trail maps or any other GPS show the difference between public and private property with different shading or anything like that?

·
Registered
155 Posts
We use an 8” tab a loaded with avenza, maprika, and ride command. Haven’t used it to plan any routes, but as far as tracking rides and current location all of them work great. Got it new for $109 at best buy. My understanding is ipads have to be cellular capable to have a gps chip and they cost twice as much. Mounted mine on a ram mount as others have mentioned and it’s rock solid.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 65 Posts