Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some ideas where and how to mount my Midland mxt 275. Also where are you guys mounting your mic holders and what mountscare you using.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i had the same radio....... if you ever plan on putting in a intercom system then stop right there and look at the Rugged Radios clearance section; i have a whole new system (helmet kit, PTT button kit, MXT275) that I'm looking at selling just because there is no way to integrate it into any of the Rugged Radios equipment, which seems to be the only guys who make a decent intercom system, definately Midland doesn't make anything... FWIW: i mounted the radio on the inside roof and the intercom unit i cut a hole in the dash just to the right of the passenger handlebar... works good and looks good. i'll post pics later.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i had the same radio....... if you ever plan on putting in a intercom system then stop right there and look at the Rugged Radios clearance section; i have a whole new system (helmet kit, PTT button kit, MXT275) that I'm looking at selling just because there is no way to integrate it into any of the Rugged Radios equipment, which seems to be the only guys who make a decent intercom system, definately Midland doesn't make anything... FWIW: i mounted the radio on the inside roof and the intercom unit i cut a hole in the dash just to the right of the passenger handlebar... works good and looks good. i'll post pics later.
I have seen the rugged radio intercoms and do like them. However I do like the Gmrs ability to communicate with other hand held etc... plus I already have the mxt 275 but that could be sold to one of my buddies with a jeep. What do you like about the Rugged Radios better? Is it the ability to talk to the passenger or what aspects are they better than the mxt 275. I am new to Radio communications and just based on the setup you are selling you definitely have alot more experience and trial and error than me!!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have seen the rugged radio intercoms and do like them. However I do like the Gmrs ability to communicate with other hand held etc... plus I already have the mxt 275 but that could be sold to one of my buddies with a jeep. What do you like about the Rugged Radios better? Is it the ability to talk to the passenger or what aspects are they better than the mxt 275. I am new to Radio communications and just based on the setup you are selling you definitely have alot more experience and trial and error than me!!!
it was an expensive trial and error, i bought two 275's, then ended up putting one on the shelf because it won't intercom easily, and its internal software sucks. to set a main channel is easy, but then you need to set the "privacy code" which is a complete pain in the arse..... for say channel 17-5 you have to first set channel 17, ok that's easy, then you gotta enter the menu's, figure what type of signal you want to be on- digital or analog, then what induvidual privacy code (5 in my example) then hit ok... and it must be the same process for all the channels wanted, and if you say go for a ride with some buddies and they're on 17-6 then you have to go through the same process all over again. also the other menu items are difficult to understand and the instructions suck....by then end you might understand it, but my wife/friends/etc. i needed something simpler that i wouldn't have to have a 5 minute tutorial each and every time, plus the only real decent intercoms for the environment we operate in are from Rugged, and they don't exactly integrate with Midland... you can have a "llisten only" connection between the two, but if you want to be able to push to talk then for ease of use i ended up just getting all Rugged equipment, and now i have one MXT25 is sitting on a shelf. also, the Rugged GMRS radio even though it was the least expensive one is easy to set a channel and use. our other side by side the Wolverine i just installed a MXT25 and it works fine communicating to the Rugged radio in my KRX. FWIW: i got the radio and the intercom through Rugged's clearance section, way cheaper. look up Notarubicon on you-tube.... he does a evaluation of a MXT15 (nearly identical) and he's brutally honest about how much it sucks, the good and the bad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it was an expensive trial and error, i bought two 275's, then ended up putting one on the shelf because it won't intercom easily, and its internal software sucks. to set a main channel is easy, but then you need to set the "privacy code" which is a complete pain in the arse..... for say channel 17-5 you have to first set channel 17, ok that's easy, then you gotta enter the menu's, figure what type of signal you want to be on- digital or analog, then what induvidual privacy code (5 in my example) then hit ok... and it must be the same process for all the channels wanted, and if you say go for a ride with some buddies and they're on 17-6 then you have to go through the same process all over again. also the other menu items are difficult to understand and the instructions suck....by then end you might understand it, but my wife/friends/etc. i needed something simpler that i wouldn't have to have a 5 minute tutorial each and every time, plus the only real decent intercoms for the environment we operate in are from Rugged, and they don't exactly integrate with Midland... you can have a "llisten only" connection between the two, but if you want to be able to push to talk then for ease of use i ended up just getting all Rugged equipment, and now i have one MXT25 is sitting on a shelf. also, the Rugged GMRS radio even though it was the least expensive one is easy to set a channel and use. our other side by side the Wolverine i just installed a MXT25 and it works fine communicating to the Rugged radio in my KRX. FWIW: i got the radio and the intercom through Rugged's clearance section, way cheaper. look up Notarubicon on you-tube.... he does a evaluation of a MXT15 (nearly identical) and he's brutally honest about how much it sucks, the good and the bad.
Thank you for the information. I will look it up

·
Registered
132 Posts
There is an updated YouTube video from notarubicon where he recieved the newest version of the Midland mxt115 and many of his concerns from the original video were corrected and he also recommends it as a good beginner/entry level gmrs radio.

I have not compared it's specs to the mxt275 that we are interested in. I am only interested in a radio that i can transmit a max range of 10 miles and the radio will be not be used that often. If i was out west, needed longer range and also needed headsets then i would go to another brand which are considerably more expensive like Rugged Radios etc.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
642 Posts
Pictures taken during the build stage of what worked for me. Rugged intercom top, Rugged GMR25 25WATT GMRS RADIO (plugged into the intercom), TYT8600 2meter, uhf ham (no intercom connection) bottom.The GMR25 and th TYT are IP68 waterproof. I made a neoprene bra to cover the intercom. Been rained, snowed on, and kind of indirectly spayed with a pressure washer no issues so far.

·
Registered
106 Posts
There is an updated YouTube video from notarubicon where he recieved the newest version of the Midland mxt115 and many of his concerns from the original video were corrected and he also recommends it as a good beginner/entry level gmrs radio.

I have not compared it's specs to the mxt275 that we are interested in. I am only interested in a radio that i can transmit a max range of 10 miles and the radio will be not be used that often. If i was out west, needed longer range and also needed headsets then i would go to another brand which are considerably more expensive like Rugged Radios etc.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
ya i watched his updated video... that guys a hoot...
well if you want, send me a message: i have the whole setup that was used once, and if i could just recover the cost of the radio itself i'd be happy. includes external speaker/radio w.antenna/headset kit/push to talk kit... the only thing i would recommend buying is a noise filter for the power cord and a screw on clip for the microphone as the stick on one it comes with will detach when it gets hot outside. i mounted the mxt in the upper dashboard glovebox and it fit real nice, it just wouldn't connect properly to the Rugged radios stuff.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Looking for some ideas where and how to mount my Midland mxt 275. Also where are you guys mounting your mic holders and what mountscare you using.
the one advantage to the MXT275 is the controls and screen are all on the mic. so you can mount the radio box anywhere. when i had it mounted in my KRX, i bolted it in the upper dash glove box and ran all the wiring out from there behind the dash, mounting the mic on the dash and drilling a hole in the side of the dash to feed the mic cord out from the upper glovebox with the code coming out just above the passengers left knee. once the glovebox door was shut it was protected from the weather. the one thing i liked about the Midland antenna cord i purchased is that the large connector would unscrew from the end so you didn't have to drill a huge hole to feed it through the dash, the other thing i liked was the mounting bracket once bolted down had a quick clip to hold the radio box.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts