Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like most people, in 10-12 years of trailer ownership I always took my trailer wheel bearings in stride saying "it's not a boat trailer in water, so the bearings should last forever...."

this just happened last week, lucky lucky lucky in was in my driveway and didn't have the KRX on it at freeway speed.

Ate an outer bearing and the friggin' tire fell off at 5 mph in my driveway. SUPER lucky !

People!!!, jack up your trailer at least once a year and check for bearing slop, and grease 'em every couple years. I put on brand new hubs, bearings, seals, and tires on both sides. I'm super lucky it didn't bugger up the spindle.

CAN'T IMAGINE what would of happened or what I would of done with the KRX loaded and traveling at 60 mph!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I do them every spring. I've still had 3 I can remember failing. Never lost a tire though. 3500 lb axles just suck. Every one I've every had that gets loaded beyond 75% of capacity has failed sooner or later. I try to treat them as 2500 lb axles anymore.
I caught this one a few trips ago before leaving to come home. Lucky, knowing 3500lb axles suck, I keep 2 sets of bearings, seals and 1 complete hub in my truck.

·
Registered
2021 Blue KRX
233 Posts
I’ve been meaning to do mine for the last two days but will check them tomorrow for sure.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,550 Posts
I’ve been thinking about my trailer wheel bearings a lot actually, I just installed new tires, freshly coated the boards with oil and painted the whole trailer with rust oleum jet black and replaced the wiring and lighting. When I got home that day I was like- I can’t believe I missed the most important part which was maintenance on the wheel bearings. 😬

·
Registered
217 Posts
It’s always a horrible feeling when you see a wheel go past you going down the road and then the sudden panic when you realize it’s yours.

·
Registered
2021 KRX SE
385 Posts
I do them every spring. I've still had 3 I can remember failing. Never lost a tire though. 3500 lb axles just suck. Every one I've every had that gets loaded beyond 75% of capacity has failed sooner or later. I try to treat them as 2500 lb axles anymore.
I caught this one a few trips ago before leaving to come home. Lucky, knowing 3500lb axles suck, I keep 2 sets of bearings, seals and 1 complete hub in my truck.

Glad you brought this up, I think about it from time to time but then think eh, it'll be alright this trip I'll do it when I get back. An I always say I'm gonna order one of those fancy wheel bearing packers everytime I do it but I always wind up doing the grease on the palm technique lol. One thing I might add is check the air in your spare from time to time as well, another thing I dont do as often as i should.

·
Registered
2021 KRX SE
385 Posts
Sorry, I meant thanks to Rocky for bringing this up, an thanks to jra for the idea of carrying extra bearings.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Have a look at your suspension bolts and Ubolt nuts yearly. I've had two trailers look like this.

Top is the ubolt nuts. This trailer was spring under so that what was left holding the whole thing up.

·
Registered
2014 T2 SE, 2021 KRX 1000 TE
121 Posts
The other thing that gets neglected is the tires. Had one of mine start to separate last month just after dropping off a friends truck. Fortunately it held up long enough to make it the hundred miles to home. Saved me having to get out in the 98 degree heat and change it. Ironic thing is that I already had the new tires in my shopping cart since they where due for replacement at 7 1/2 years old. The trailer is maintained and kept indoors. It also gets used hard.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,647 Posts
I hand pack (old school) my trailer bearings every year and bought a brand new tire for my spare before I made the trip up to South Dakota this year. Don't know how long I pulled it with a spare that was totally flat and wouldn't take air, but that's one thing I'm bad about checking. Burned a bearing years and years ago on my tent trailer way out in the sticks. Don't ever want to have to go through that again.

·
Registered
2021 Trail Edition, RCOR weights, Shock Therapy, CageWRX cage, 31"x10.50-15LT General Grabber X3's
255 Posts
Like most people, in 10-12 years of trailer ownership I always took my trailer wheel bearings in stride saying "it's not a boat trailer in water, so the bearings should last forever...."

this just happened last week, lucky lucky lucky in was in my driveway and didn't have the KRX on it at freeway speed.

Ate an outer bearing and the friggin' tire fell off at 5 mph in my driveway. SUPER lucky !

People!!!, jack up your trailer at least once a year and check for bearing slop, and grease 'em every couple years. I put on brand new hubs, bearings, seals, and tires on both sides. I'm super lucky it didn't bugger up the spindle.

CAN'T IMAGINE what would of happened or what I would of done with the KRX loaded and traveling at 60 mph!

View attachment 5252
This is why you should NEVER use a single axle trailer to haul your $25,000 toy 60mph down the road.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lots of options on it...........lots!

Moved over most my accessories from my totaled Blue KRX.

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000 Trail Edition, Shock Therapy Springs, RCOR Weights, Cagewrx Cage, 32" Rock-a-Billys
76 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts