Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new KRX, purchased last weekend with 30 miles on it. I've driven it around the block, and it's been in my garage getting mods to become street legal. It passed that inspection yesterday.

I got to looking at my engine oil indicator. It looked (overfull) and opaque-brown:

Pulled the filler cap off and found this:

Then I took this picture:

And here's what the sample looks like:

I've never seen it before, but is this water in my engine oil? If so, how the heck did it get there?

Unless somebody tells me that I'm crazy, I'm off to the dealer to ask what's up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Definitely water my friend. Could be a blown head gasket,or worse case cracked block or head. Have you been in any deep water by any chance?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,132 Posts
Brand new KRX, purchased last weekend with 30 miles on it. I've driven it around the block, and it's been in my garage getting mods to become street legal. It passed that inspection yesterday.

I got to looking at my engine oil indicator. It looked (overfull) and opaque-brown:
View attachment 3631

View attachment 3629

View attachment 3630

View attachment 3632

I've never seen it before, but is this water in my engine oil? If so, how the heck did it get there?

Unless somebody tells me that I'm crazy, I'm off to the dealer to ask what's up.
That’s the result from a failed head gasket.Water leaking into the oil internally. Dealer will most likely replace the engine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I went to the dealer. They said it's normal, that it's the "break-in oil." We checked another brand new KRX on the lot--it has the exact same appearance. One of the guys in the shop used to work at another dealership, and he said that all the KRXs look like that from the factory. Told me to run it until the first service interval and not worry about it.

I imagine that comment will be met with some skepticism. Has anybody who bought a brand new machine recently (mines a '21) seen this?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,132 Posts
So I went to the dealer. They said it's normal, that it's the "break-in oil." We checked another brand new KRX on the lot--it has the exact same appearance. One of the guys in the shop used to work at another dealership, and he said that all the KRXs look like that from the factory. Told me to run it until the first service interval and not worry about it.

I imagine that comment will be met with some skepticism. Has anybody who bought a brand new machine recently (mines a '21) seen this?
Nope my oil was gold all through the 120 mile service. They use mineral oil for break in. That oil has water in it. It’s clear as day.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,132 Posts
Nope my oil was gold all through the 120 mile service. They use mineral oil for break in. That oil has water in it. It’s clear as day.
Also, if the other unit has the same oil looks like that one has a bad engine as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I'll run it for a little while today and change the oil. I'm going to send a sample to Blackstone Labs to see what they say about it. If the changed oil gets milky, then I'll know there's a problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is water in the oil, but most likely not from an engine problem. This is common on units at dealers that move them around on their lot, or especially if they park them out front every morning and move them back in every night. The engine just builds enough heat to get condensation in it, but never enough heat to evaporate the condensation out of the oil or the engine. Every day the little bit of condensation (water) goes into the engine oil and over several days of this it begins to turn milky. The drive around the block also didn't run it long enough or hot enough to do much with the water in the oil. Your oil sample from the lab will likely come back as water in the oil (but not coolant), and I bet if you change it and then drive it for longer periods (up to normal operating temps) it will not turn milky again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just drove it for about 20 minutes and got it up to the mid 180s for a while. When I parked it, the milky look was gone. I’ll check it again after it cools off.

Also, I am/will be monitoring the coolant level.

Thanks all.

·
Built For Battle
124 Posts
It is water in the oil, but most likely not from an engine problem. This is common on units at dealers that move them around on their lot, or especially if they park them out front every morning and move them back in every night. The engine just builds enough heat to get condensation in it, but never enough heat to evaporate the condensation out of the oil or the engine. Every day the little bit of condensation (water) goes into the engine oil and over several days of this it begins to turn milky. The drive around the block also didn't run it long enough or hot enough to do much with the water in the oil. Your oil sample from the lab will likely come back as water in the oil (but not coolant), and I bet if you change it and then drive it for longer periods (up to normal operating temps) it will not turn milky again.
This^^^ Exactly.

I've seen a ton of KRX's like this. You can probably talk your dealer into changing all the fluids for free for you, but this really is pretty normal.

·
Registered
25 Posts

View attachment 3631

View attachment 3629

View attachment 3630

View attachment 3632

PLEASE KEEP US POSTED REGARDING WHAT YOU FIND.
NOT A GOOD SITUATION!

THANKS

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,237 Posts
This^^^ Exactly.

I've seen a ton of KRX's like this. You can probably talk your dealer into changing all the fluids for free for you, but this really is pretty normal.
I agree. I know this was a big topic early on when the KRX came out. Mine did the same. Ran it until up to normal operating temperature and it cleared right up. I would bet most all machines do the same, you just can't see it with no window.

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000 blue tons of options
590 Posts
Same. Milky at the dealer and until I rode it for about 20 min. Then nice and clean. Fortunately, I’d already seen the older posts about it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts