Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ik it's been talked about but let's say smooth slow trail rides which low are you guys using the rocker switch or the gear shifter low and what's the differences

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
707 Posts
The only time I put my machine in low is on steep climbs. The switch on the dash I use when rock crawling. Other then that, high gear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've just heard from other people driving other makes that if your under 20 mph you should be in low but I think the krx are gear diff right

·
Registered
219 Posts
I usually run in low gear for slow going and steep climbing. 20ish mph seems like a good rule of thumb that I tend to follow. I also run in low power mode most of the time when in low gear, I like the power delivery in low power while in low gear, and I like that it allows me to have my foot deeper in the pedal stroke, it's more comfortable for me. However I don't like low power mode in high gear. The power switch dose nothing to gear ratio, just limits power delivery.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
856 Posts
I use only the shifter for high and low. I would remove the low power switch from the dash if I could. I have zero use for it and it is a waste of space on there.
I probably run in low more often than I really need to, but that is a carry over from my time in my Polaris General. The gearing and the clutching in the KRX is much more high range friendly.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
227 Posts
I usually run in low gear for slow going and steep climbing. 20ish mph seems like a good rule of thumb that I tend to follow. I also run in low power mode most of the time when in low gear, I like the power delivery in low power while in low gear, and I like that it allows me to have my foot deeper in the pedal stroke, it's more comfortable for me. However I don't like low power mode in high gear. The power switch dose nothing to gear ratio, just limits power delivery.
Those are my thoughts - 20 mph, but I have not tried the “Full - Low” dash switch yet.

·
Registered
2020 Green KRX
624 Posts
I feel like the machine tells me when to put it in low gear. When I’m climbing some steep gravel roads or most recently old mine roads, it warrants more power. Switch to low gear 4wd lock and no problems whatsoever. As far as the low power switch goes- I hate it. Lol

·
Registered
163 Posts
I use only the shifter for high and low. I would remove the low power switch from the dash if I could. I have zero use for it and it is a waste of space on there.
I probably run in low more often than I really need to, but that is a carry over from my time in my Polaris General. The gearing and the clutching in the KRX is much more high range friendly.
I did. I zip tied to the bar behind the dash about 800 miles ago. Not wasting a switch spot anymore and I can still reach it if I need to switch it to run 87 on my VFJ tunes.

·
Registered
613 Posts
You run in whatever gear matches needs of the terrain and RPM power band.

I love the dash switch low power mode when on steep rocky crawling speeds. Smooths out throttle response.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
856 Posts
I feel like the machine tells me when to put it in low gear. When I’m climbing some steep gravel roads or most recently old mine roads, it warrants more power. Switch to low gear 4wd lock and no problems whatsoever. As far as the low power switch goes- I hate it. Lol
That's exactly right. That's what I used to tell people on the ATV forums for years. You just know when low is needed. If you hit the throttle and the machine doesn't respond, it's time to shift. I pay no attention to what speed I'm running, it's all about how the machine is acting. I'll run all day long at 5 mph in high gear if there is no load on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ik it's been talked about but let's say smooth slow trail rides which low are you guys using the rocker switch or the gear shifter low and what's the differences
I use it for both gears. I find that it allows me to hold steady power during uneven terrain and eliminate the machine from being jumpy because of acceleration. Wife loves it as passenger and regularly tells me to put it on during our trail riding.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts