Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just bought a cordless pistol grip air compressor that I'd like to be able to charge if needed in the machine. The charger is a 120V 60Hz 15W output. The plan would be to buy a DC to AC adapter. The machine has no aftermarket lights/stereo etc. Can the KRX charging system handle this battery charger?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,114 Posts
Hello,

I just bought a cordless pistol grip air compressor that I'd like to be able to charge if needed in the machine. The charger is a 120V 60Hz 15W output. The plan would be to buy a DC to AC adapter. The machine has no aftermarket lights/stereo etc. Can the KRX charging system handle this battery charger?
here’s my personal experience. It can handle anything you throw at it. The draw isn’t the problem, it’s replacing the draw. The stator puts out 15amps max. And that’s at 6500 rpm. For me if I run all of my accessories, the stator won’t keep up and eventually my headlights start flickering and my battery flattens. I’m looking into upgrading my battery and or a dual battery setup. Not interested in the $600 alternator kit plus labor that cant go under water. I think it would charge it but very very slow, as the system is a 12v compared to household which 110-120v.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,114 Posts
I want to say the stock battery is rated at 45 amp/hrs with 450 cold cranking amps. I made a mental note while wiring up my winch.
Yes it is. I’m looking at 40 series batteries. They’re in the 80-100 amp hours. Same height too

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hello,

ok so 2 things to consider here... One what voltage batteries are In the pistol grip compressor .. my buddy has a supercomp dragster and uses a pistol grip compressor at the track.. he uses it for a week airing stuff up without needing to charge it up.. he carry's a spare battery for just in case...but those things generally last a long time especially the lithium ones.. a spare battery maybe a lot less and easier than an inverter or the draw it would take off the krx to charge it IMO.. second even a small inverter 12vdc to 120vac using say 5 amps ac would pull near 60amps dc.. if your battery is say 100 AHR rated lead acid is not recommend to pull down more that 80%.. a rough estimate nets around 20min run time.. then you have to consider the time that its going to take to charge the krx battery back up from running the engine. and what's left over of the 15amps from the rectifier.. not saying it can't be done if you figure out an economic way to do it let us know..

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so 2 things to consider here... One what voltage batteries are In the pistol grip compressor .. my buddy has a supercomp dragster and uses a pistol grip compressor at the track.. he uses it for a week airing stuff up without needing to charge it up.. he carry's a spare battery for just in case...but those things generally last a long time especially the lithium ones.. a spare battery maybe a lot less and easier than an inverter or the draw it would take off the krx to charge it IMO.. second even a small inverter 12vdc to 120vac using say 5 amps ac would pull near 60amps dc.. if your battery is say 100 AHR rated lead acid is not recommend to pull down more that 80%.. a rough estimate nets around 20min run time.. then you have to consider the time that its going to take to charge the krx battery back up from running the engine. and what's left over of the 15amps from the rectifier.. not saying it can't be done if you figure out an economic way to do it let us know..
You're exactly right....after using it, there is no real reason to have to charge it in the machine. This is what I use, but it was like $45 when I bought it. Works great.

·
Registered
2021 Blue Kawasaki KRX
37 Posts
This is what is shown in the factory service manual: Maximum Output 14.0 V - 37.9 A @5 000 r/min (rpm)

Reactions: MOKRX
1 - 7 of 7 Posts