Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Im new to this forum. Just got a new 2021 love it so far. I have about 200 miles now. But after l ride it for a bit over 45-50 miles and go to stop sometimes sounds like it won't go into 1st gear. Like if the gears are Grinding. Ones it fully stops gets in gear and it works just fine.
has anyone had that issue? It is an intermittent issue.

·
Registered
2021 Kawasaki KRX 1000 #TeamGreen
27 Posts
Hi Im new to this forum. Just got a new 2021 love it so far. I have about 200 miles now. But after l ride it for a bit over 45-50 miles and go to stop sometimes sounds like it won't go into 1st gear. Like if the gears are Grinding. Ones it fully stops gets in gear and it works just fine.
has anyone had that issue? It is an intermittent issue.
Welcome to the forum?

How many gears does your KRX have?

• Haha
Reactions: BobX2 and AmsoilRon

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clutch weights worn? Do a search on clutch weight issues.
I took off the cover today and everything looks good in there.
the machine only has 200 miles on it. Bought it new a month ago. And it started doing it the first week and it has done it several times after

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have understand they have 2 gears
Ok. I'm just trying to understand your question. The KRX has a High range and low range. Are you saying that when switching from high to low the gears are grinding? Are you at a complete stop before switching from high to low? You have to be at a complete stop.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If ya hearing a grinding noise it could be popping out of high gear. It usually happens when going down a hill and sounds awful when it happens.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. I'm just trying to understand your question. The KRX has a High range and low range. Are you saying that when switching from high to low the gears are grinding? Are you at a complete stop before switching from high to low? You have to be at a complete stop.
I am no mechanic, i could be wrong but l was told when l bought the machine they a two speed transmission. It happens in high when lm crusing and try to stop. Without me touching or changing any gear or the knob.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah yes, possibly need to adjust the shifter cable. Under warranty?
It is under warranty but the local dealer takes for ever to get things done
If it was the cable adjustment it would happen when l first put it in gear
This happens after is already going for a while.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am no mechanic, i could be wrong but l was told when l bought the machine they a two speed transmission. It happens in high when lm crusing and try to stop. Without me touching or changing any gear or the knob.
Sounds like the shift linkage is out of adjustment like said by Bizill. The cable may need to be adjusted. There are videos on YouTube that show you how. If you are not mechanically incline and don't feel comfortable, my recommendation would be to take it to a Kawi dealer and have it serviced under warranty.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does it happen when coasting down a hill? If so, it's more than likely the cable adjustment. If it is happening on flat ground while coasting, it may be the one way clutch. The cable can be adjusted by you but make sure it's done properly. If it is the one way clutch, it will need to go to the dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If ya hearing a grinding noise it could be popping out of high gear. It usually happens when going down a hill and sounds awful when it happens.
That would make sense because it happens is when l try to reduce speed let's say lm doing 50-60 and l slow for a curve or something. As soon as l fully stop l feel like it engages again and she just keep going normal

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does it happen when coasting down a hill? If so, it's more than likely the cable adjustment. If it is happening on flat ground while coasting, it may be the one way clutch. The cable can be adjusted by you but make sure it's done properly. If it is the one way clutch, it will need to go to the dealer.
[/QUOTE
Sounds like the shift linkage is out of adjustment like said by Bizill. The cable may need to be adjusted. There are videos on YouTube that show you how. If you are not mechanically incline and don't feel comfortable, my recommendation would be to take it to a Kawi dealer and have it serviced under warranty.
l am mechanically inclined l used to have RZR with them is hard to not become a mechanic. I ll look up some videos about that cable adjustment

·
Registered
275 Posts
Haven't had to mess with my KRX shift linkage adjustment any but did when I put my gated shifter in my xp 1000. Man, LITTLE adjustments go a LONG way. Heed the warning.:) And yes, a Polaris will force you into mechanic work!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haven't had to mess with my KRX shift linkage adjustment any but did when I put my gated shifter in my xp 1000. Man, LITTLE adjustments go a LONG way. Heed the warning.:) And yes, a Polaris will force you into mechanic work!
Hopefully that's it
I ll keep you guys posted

·
Registered
158 Posts
couple questions:
1) when in Low range, do you have engine braking going down hill? say start at the top of a hill stopped, let it roll forward under gravity alone, as it builds speed does the engine rpm go up and start to hold back the vehicle?
2) if you were to do the same thing in High range, does it exhibit the same engine braking?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,663 Posts
At the very least you need to get it reported to your dealer so it is on record for your machine. Document everything! If/when it goes in for warranty work in the future you will want all that documentation.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts