Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This past weekend I was stuck in a decent mud/water hole. Once I got pulled out, I noticed the belt slipping. I pulled the drain plug and water poured out of the ctv case. The depth of the mud hole matched the height of my factory tires. I feel like I shouldn't have had water intrusion. Am I wrong? I should I take it apart and check the seal? Should I take it to the dealership and ask what's up with that? Or is this normal behavior?

Do I now need to keep a spare CTV belt since this one has gotten wet?

·
Registered
82 Posts
This past weekend I was stuck in a decent mud/water hole. Once I got pulled out, I noticed the belt slipping. I pulled the drain plug and water poured out of the ctv case. The depth of the mud hole matched the height of my factory tires. I feel like I shouldn't have had water intrusion. Am I wrong? I should I take it apart and check the seal? Should I take it to the dealership and ask what's up with that? Or is this normal behavior?

Do I now need to keep a spare CTV belt since this one has gotten wet?
I have been in a lot of water that rivals the depth you describe, and have never had even so much as a drop in the cvt housing. However when I took the cvt cover off for inspection and cleaning a few weeks ago I found that the seal had been installed incorrectly from the factory. It had been folded over on itself, absolutely intentionally by the person who installed the cover. If you put one of those long seals in you should use a silicone lubricant on it so they won't stretch during installation and cause too much seal to be present when you get to one side. This is what happened at the factory and caused there to be excess seal, so the tech just folded it over rather than doing it right. It is amazing it didn't leak like a sieve. I'll bet the same thing happened to yours but you weren't as lucky.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips. I opened up the CVT cover and part of the seal was awry. It wasn't doubled over, but it definitely wasn't sealed. Took it to the dealership, and they ordered me a new one under warranty. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts