Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
There’s deceleration ignition mapping. -13 to -16 timing.

Wouldn’t let me upload the vid where it is explained so much easier.

So now what? Like I said. Timing isn’t any issue. We got a lot to go to cause issues there.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,462 Posts
Cavitation of the pump can certainly cause a cylinder to starve for fuel and create a lean condition, because of the shape of the fuel tank you could actually cavitate the pump with as much as 4 gallons of fuel left in the tank (if you were climbing an incline). Could this be the reason our fuel gauges are flashing empty and you can only get 5 or 6 gallons in the tank???
I’m just saying many things can cause a motor to blow, if there was a problem with VForce Johns tune you would be hearing about a lot of blown motors not just a couple.
Understood. Would a stock tune also cause a motor to blow with cavitation issues?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,555 Posts
So "only" 20 blown motors running his tune.... lol I guess that's a great percentage, unless you are one of the 20. Where is the chart comparing the number of vfj blown motors to the number of PV3 blown motors? I've heard of zero blown engines caused by PV3. Not saying there aren't any, but I've read of plenty from the other.
If you want to spin your engine 11,500 rpm, good luck and enjoy the results. lol

·
Registered
182 Posts
John, Since I don't understand much about tuning I guess I'd ask if there are some things that should be done to prevent the engine blowing up with or without a tune? Is a higher capacity fuel pump the answer to most of the issues? Or don't let the fuel tank get below half full? Or ????

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,462 Posts
I would not inject into this conversation, because I don't know the subject material well enough to even make a coherent arguement. Let the man have his thread. Argue his points, not internet hate.
I want to hear his competitors rebuttal.........Probably be crickets!!!!!
I’m with you, but I am also wanting to learn.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Glad to see you here John!!
I've mentioned this here a few times that the PV3 can only do so much as per our past conversations.
You have more tuning data than anyone else out there so people should take note..... :)
if you want to race your krx and get that last little bit out of it - he might be your guy - for 98% of krx owners that don't race - a pv3 wakes it up fine - full power reverse- eliminates seat belt........if i were racing i wouldnt have bought a krx to begin with:) all this chasing for a very slight performance gain - 90% of the market just needs waking it up from 35" tires - Ive had 2 stand alone tune on the krx - alba was the first to market and i got that - then i got the cops - I just wasnt thrilled running the rpms that high and have switched to a pv3 aftermarket assassins tune - A BIG plus to a pv3 is you dont have to deal with john and you can change it back to stock yourself in 5 minutes instead of days of shipping for warranty work(big deal if you have the extended warranty)- I have 3 tunes on my pv3 and can change them at anytime fast - even on the trail. I have had a total of 4 tunes - Alba - Cops_ and then 2 on my pv3 - both from Aftermarket assassins - I have not had the force tune - mainly because I asked a question and he took it all personal and i chose not to send him a dime cant imagine his response if i had an issue- but I have had 4 tunes - and if you selected one with me in a blindfold - i wouldnt be able to tell you which one it was - its a very small difference in actual trail riding-only so much ANY tune will do to 112hp motor........the convenience of a pv3 is what i ultimately chose and im happy with it - different strokes for different folks and all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I know a good number of people that have blown their WRX with the stock COBB (very popular tuning company) tunes and no modifications to the car other than the tune. Many times, it's either due to operator error (loading the wrong tune, etc) or neglect. It’s just one of those things that happens and often it’s not a fault with a tuner. You’ll have that with mail tunes. Anyone that wants the best tune for their particular machine should go somewhere with a dyno with their specific machine.

VFJ, have you seen any difference in fueling when going to a center or dual feed fuel rail? And would a higher capacity fuel pump and injectors make a difference, or are we far away from running out of injector in a N/A application? I wonder how hard it would be to go to a ITB setup for individual cylinder lambda control, providing the ecu is even capable of this.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So "only" 20 blown motors running his tune.... lol I guess that's a great percentage, unless you are one of the 20. Where is the chart comparing the number of vfj blown motors to the number of PV3 blown motors? I've heard of zero blown engines caused by PV3. Not saying there aren't any, but I've read of plenty from the other.
If you want to spin your engine 11,500 rpm, good luck and enjoy the results. lol
11,500 rpm is for my engine. I push MY limits on my machine. That’s sure NOT for the public. What do you think I do here for 20 years ? Not push the envelope?

It’s obvious that people would hear about me. Nobody on the planet has tuned more of these machines than me.

Maybe 20 motors. Out of around 1850-1900 ecms I’ve tuned. What’s that percent??? 1% failure rate. Do the math.

1.01% of the ecms I’ve tuned had an issue. So 1 out of 100 people. The chances of that happening because of the machine alone

If my tune had issues. THERE SHOULD BE 1800-1900 machines with blown motors. 😉. everyone would be Blowing them up DAILY. Mine would have blown up. However that’s not true.

Kawasaki has already bought back more lemon machines than that. Plus the “covid built” motors from the 3rd quarter last year that never had the head tight.

How many KRX engines had issues without tunes had Loose head bolts and busted heafgaskets. I can easily count more than 20.

HERE is what I’ve been saying all along.

READ CAREFULLY GUYS AS I SEE SOME CANT COMPREHEND THINGS EASILY.

The fuel pump filter is excellent at filtering. Then when it plugs quickly guess what happens????

WHOS BEEN SAYING THIS FOR 9 months now???? Yeah. ME. Now here is S&S motorcycle company saying the same thing. WOW. ISNT THAT A COINCIDENCE??

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
John, Since I don't understand much about tuning I guess I'd ask if there are some things that should be done to prevent the engine blowing up with or without a tune? Is a higher capacity fuel pump the answer to most of the issues? Or don't let the fuel tank get below half full? Or ????
Keep the filter clean. Put your fuel tank on E put your fuel tank on E! which is 1/2 tank full. Raise the front 25° angle then look in your tank. Guess what. The filter is OUT OF THE GAS!!!! Go ahead and get some air bubbles in the fuel rail and get with cylinder doesn’t get the fuel #2. This is why you guys out west that climb sand hills Have more issues.

This motor had no tune. Take a look what happened.

This was an issue on the kawasaki 450 and the Ultra 310. Brittle piston castings. Breaks the ring land intake side due to thin valve pocket to ring clearance.

Top is a 100 mile stock 2021 KRX. Bottom is a 2021 Ultra 310. How’d that happen?? All stock.

This is why they have a warranty, as things break. It’s a fact of life.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Unfortunate that kawi thinks “scared to drive it” is a bad thing…that’s what it takes to be a competitor. See: 1st gen hellcat with stock width tires and the 6 speed.
I’ve taken machines like that right off the delivery truck with zero miles right to the racetrack and raced NMRA events all over the country. Tuning them myself and beating the big boys. But shit happens. Couldn’t keep a clutch in the car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Unfortunate that kawi thinks “scared to drive it” is a bad thing…that’s what it takes to be a competitor. See: 1st gen hellcat with stock width tires and the 6 speed.
I’ve taken machines like that right off the delivery truck with zero miles right to the racetrack and raced NMRA events all over the country. Tuning them myself and beating the big boys. But shit happens. Couldn’t keep a clutch in the car.

View attachment 5928
I would not inject into this conversation, because I don't know the subject material well enough to even make a coherent arguement. Let the man have his thread. Argue his points, not internet hate.
I want to hear his competitors rebuttal.........Probably be crickets!!!!!

I’m never arguing. People get mad when I prove them wrong. I have the facts. I guess People just get pissed When I make 1/2 million dollars Tuning KRX machines in a year.

I’ve been tuning strictly kawasaki machines for 20 years and operate a dyno facility for 25 years. One man. One mission.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
if you want to race your krx and get that last little bit out of it - he might be your guy - for 98% of krx owners that don't race - a pv3 wakes it up fine - full power reverse- eliminates seat belt........if i were racing i wouldnt have bought a krx to begin with:) all this chasing for a very slight performance gain - 90% of the market just needs waking it up from 35" tires - Ive had 2 stand alone tune on the krx - alba was the first to market and i got that - then i got the cops - I just wasnt thrilled running the rpms that high and have switched to a pv3 aftermarket assassins tune - A BIG plus to a pv3 is you dont have to deal with john and you can change it back to stock yourself in 5 minutes instead of days of shipping for warranty work(big deal if you have the extended warranty)- I have 3 tunes on my pv3 and can change them at anytime fast - even on the trail. I have had a total of 4 tunes - Alba - Cops_ and then 2 on my pv3 - both from Aftermarket assassins - I have not had the force tune - mainly because I asked a question and he took it all personal and i chose not to send him a dime cant imagine his response if i had an issue- but I have had 4 tunes - and if you selected one with me in a blindfold - i wouldnt be able to tell you which one it was - its a very small difference in actual trail riding-only so much ANY tune will do to 112hp motor........the convenience of a pv3 is what i ultimately chose and im happy with it - different strokes for different folks and all.
Then...guess what...it cost you more. And you got less performance. Then spent time out of your day to accomplish loading many tunes to see what works. Computers. Internet. Flash, read, Datalog, whatever.

My customers don’t have to do that. They plug it in. Go ride.

If I really wanted to blow up the market I could tell everybody how to tune these things for $18 Worth of electronics and an android cellphone.

The reason why you can’t tell the difference between the tones is the power vision can not pull the bench flash tune off of there correctly

Open the alba and cops tune. They use the software that I use. It’s 30,000.00 for that setup. Dynojet cannot display it correctly. So trying to load it back with a power vision only defines the definitions by Dynojet

So you’re right. There would be little to no difference between them Why? Canbus virtual writing isn’t a bench flash. People aren’t educated enough to know the difference

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·

More facts. nobody heard about this company S&S blowing up Mcgraths motors? They use PV3 tuning. What happened there???

I’ve yet to even see a blown KRX motor at my shop.

This info is coming direct from kawasaki.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I made my own closed loop fueling setup. My own fuel rail and adjustable regulator with all stainless hydraulic PTFE lines.

What Kawasaki should really do is incorporate a fuel pressure sensor.

Fuel pressure drops below a certain limit under engine revolution Engine light comes on and restricts your power level

For less than 15.00. They can remedy this issue with a fuel Pressure sensor and 3 extra wires. Brute force has fuel pump problems Teryx 750-800 fuel pump problems. Crotch rockets. Fuel pump issues. This 35mm Pump is off of a 1990s Mitsubishi colt.

One day maybe. Until then. A basic inline pressure gauge does the job for me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
How hard would it have been for them to install a vacuum referenced pressure regulator, or even a sensor like you're saying? There's a lot of "good enough for average" engineering going on in the power sports sector...

21 - 40 of 70 Posts