Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OEM 1482 ECU. Check this out. I'll add to it as I go along. There's ALOT the PV3 cannot do, this is why I don't support it. PV3 only flashes the small 5-30 KB file of what the DJT file made in C3 changes. Rest goes back to the STK file parameters

Example 1.

Pv3 has 3 timing maps. 1 base, 2 rpm vs throttle... I got 27 Timing maps 19 Base maps, then 8 offset maps cyl 1 and 2 for High, low, neutral, reverse.

What's up with that???

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
EXAMPLE 2.

These maps like this show the calculated airflow/HP the engine targets to produce the claimed HP.

If you want to gain HP. you need to change and smooth these.....PV3 cant. There is one for Full and one for LOW power mode.

this is why it doesn't pull until over 7000 rpm or under 35% throttle. Basic stuff. right??

·
Registered
111 Posts
OEM 1482 ECU. Check this out. I'll add to it as I go along. There's ALOT the PV3 cannot do, this is why I don't support it. PV3 only flashes the small 5-30 KB file of what the DJT file made in C3 changes. Rest goes back to the STK file parameters

Example 1.

Pv3 has 3 timing maps. 1 base, 2 rpm vs throttle... I got 27 Timing maps 19 Base maps, then 8 offset maps cyl 1 and 2 for High, low, neutral, reverse.

What's up with that??? View attachment 5901
Glad to see you here John!!
I've mentioned this here a few times that the PV3 can only do so much as per our past conversations.
You have more tuning data than anyone else out there so people should take note..... :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
EXAMPLE #3

THROTTLE PEDAL MAPPING!!!! PV3 cannot access these 18 maps

nobody wants a Lame pedal....Sure doesn't happen with my tune setup. I can alter the actual pedal response any way I choose for any power mode or gear.

Can you?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
EXAMPLE 4

THROTTLE BODY MAPPING ALL 41 Maps. Powervision allows 8 of these maps to be altered. leaving 33 Throttlebody Maps unaltered.

PV3 does alter these, however they exaggerate the values to 120% Throttle body stops at 99.97 DEGREE angle.

This references exactly what ANGLE the TB opens to. These are NOT correlated to the pedal maps, which ever map holds the higher value is what these refence to, it's pedal demand vs throttle blade opening. This is what calculates the LOAD maps. higher the load number gets, the quicker it pulls them back. Foolish to turn them to 120 like DJ does when you can alter the lower numbers on the pedal maps for much better response without the added Load values.

one more thing the PV3 Does not do

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you still revving the KRX to 10K rpm??????
Ive taken mine to 11,500 on numerous occasions.

10K is plenty that's 500 rpm over stock which is very safe. stock rpm limit hits at 9450-9600 but throttle closes by 9350 to 57%

the new ES will show 10,500 rpm STOCK on the dash. it's 1000 rpm over actual value. dash is generous

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Example 5.

PEDAL MAP VS THROTTLE BODY MAP HYSTERESIS. This is the FULL POWER MODE map Low has it's own map. these maps tell the throttlebody how much it's capable of overriding or UNDERRIDING the commanded values of the pedal as you see, it's 9.9% change. PV3 only allows you to change that one single value. you cannot alter the high end values in the PV3.

this is why stock 8500 and up it falls on it's face. you can have the Drive by wire maps at 120 on a PV3, but it'll pull that throttlebody backwards past 8600 rpm gradually( and not tell you as the PV3 only knows RPM vs throttle)

this is how you gain major top speed with a modded clutch and even enhance how the gearing feels past 65 mph.

These maps also account for the SHIFT feeling between 8500-9000 rpm as it cuts throttle back at 8600 then allows throttle again when it dips to 8400 feeling like a shift

There are 6 of these maps HIGH LOW REVERSE in both FULL and LOW MODE

PV3 again......NOPE

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
EXAMPLE 6

REQUESTED LOAD MAPS!!!!

28 Load control maps for RPM, MAP, and RPM

This helps calculate fuel demand vs Baro VS Map VS RPM VS temp. all values together equal a load value.

PV3 uses the same load maps for cyl 1 and cyl 2 regardless of gear, or power switch position. check them out yourself. they re similar.

REALITY CHECK

There are another 26 maps that deal with coolant temp compensation, Ambient Temp, O2 SENSOR values and Altitude that dont get altered.......BOOOOOOO More missed opportunity for a well tuned machine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
EXAMPLE 7

INJECTION AT FULL LOAD MAPS.....Yep. PV3 dont Directly access these maps either

These control WIDE OPEN THROTTLE FUELING when Map sensor is reading .700 MBAR or above (up to Baro which is usually below .900). These are made to work with the LAMBDA tables for injection at full load. (pv3 dont allow those changes either)

PV3 is made for the average Joe. it doesn't get in depth as I can get.

were just scratching the surface. There are SO many more too.

****SEE THE GREEN AREA AT 800-up? see how it FLOODS the motor back on takeoff around 3000-5000 rpm then leans back at 5000 rpm.... Ever feel that TAKEOFF DELAY when going WOT from a stand still???? Wonder why they cant be removed with a PV#3??? Heres your answer!!

this is why my setups have little to no lag on WOT takeoff, I can change them. PV3 cant this = HOLESHOT!

I'm getting Busy with Orders so I'll continue Later.

·
Registered
111 Posts
John not trying to stir the pot, it is a serious question, but how come a couple of engines have blown up with your tune? Was it a lean mixture? Curious what would cause that.
I'm sure John will answer but was it determined that the tune was the issue?, I know he has 100s of tunes out there so "a couple" doesn't even register, I have also heard of a few bone stock KRXs blowing up as well as all the other brands, a lot of things could cause this, like running the fuel tank too low and causing the pump to cavitate and starving one cylinder of fuel, improper purging of the coolant system from the factory causing overheating has caused a few to blow, etc.... if his tune was the cause there would be a LOT more than "a couple" blown up..

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,462 Posts
I'm sure John will answer but was it determined that the tune was the issue?, I know he has 100s of tunes out there so "a couple" doesn't even register, I have also heard of a few bone stock KRXs blowing up as well as all the other brands, a lot of things could cause this, like running the fuel tank too low and causing the pump to cavitate and starving one cylinder of fuel, improper purging of the coolant system from the factory causing overheating has caused a few to blow, etc.... if his tune was the cause there would be a LOT more than "a couple" blown up..
Out of respect for the members on here. I won’t tag them. But if you search thoroughly you will find the posts. I didn’t know running out of gas would cause an engine to blow up?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I've asked John about any concerns of "blown motors" I'll quote his response:

"I've done almost 2000 tunes, I would say out of all of those people probably 20 issues with motors. Issues are related to loss of fuel pressure from a blocked filter. Im Sure you see all these fools putting fuel rails on there. If the factory pump doesn’t have enough to fill the stock fuel rail. It’s certainly not going to fill a larger one. I remove more timing than I add. Low end I pull and remove almost 15-18° timing mod it gets 6° and top end it gets 3-4°. So people claiming time in advance. Certainly don’t know what they’re talking about because both cylinders would have the same issue not the last cylinder on the fuel rail which starved for fuel due to pump incapability. "

John is a welcomed experienced tuner to have jumped on our forum. Excellent to have him.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,462 Posts

"I've done almost 2000 tunes, I would say out of all of those people probably 20 issues with motors. Issues are related to loss of fuel pressure from a blocked filter. Im Sure you see all these fools putting fuel rails on there. If the factory pump doesn’t have enough to fill the stock fuel rail. It’s certainly not going to fill a larger one. I remove more timing than I add. Low end I pull and remove almost 15-18° timing mod it gets 6° and top end it gets 3-4°. So people claiming time in advance. Certainly don’t know what they’re talking about because both cylinders would have the same issue not the last cylinder on the fuel rail which starved for fuel due to pump incapability. "

John is a welcomed experienced tuner to have jumped on our forum. Excellent to have him.
Ok so one guy says a blocked fuel filter and another because the fuel tank ran out of fuel. Which one is it? Or both? How often should we change our filters?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I’m curious as well Speedyg, I assumed too much timing and or too lean?

When both injectors are fed by a common fuel rail how is one injector gonna get starved for fuel without the same affects on the other one? Wouldn’t this cause a cylinder misfire code and put the machine into limp mode?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Cavitation of the pump can certainly cause a cylinder to starve for fuel and create a lean condition, because of the shape of the fuel tank you could actually cavitate the pump with as much as 4 gallons of fuel left in the tank (if you were climbing an incline). Could this be the reason our fuel gauges are flashing empty and you can only get 5 or 6 gallons in the tank???
I’m just saying many things can cause a motor to blow, if there was a problem with VForce Johns tune you would be hearing about a lot of blown motors not just a couple.

·
Registered
47 Posts

These responses aren’t making a lot of sense to me. I’ve never fried a piston off idle on the low end where he “pulls” timing, it typically occurs high in the rpm range when it’s making the most heat where he states he is adding 3-4 degrees.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
These responses aren’t making a lot of sense to me. I’ve never fried a piston off idle on the low end where he “pulls” timing, it typically occurs high in the rpm range when it’s making the most heat where he states he is adding 3-4 degrees.
Try this. It’ll make more sense to you.

Open a KRX stock tune file using a pv3.
Then select a timing map. Tell us the Oem timing advance happening on deceleration from 9000 rpm to around 4500 rpm. It’s 42-45 degrees total advance. Base map is 20. Advance map is 20-25. Pending rpm. Add them 2 map values together for total timing.

Mid range after a certain point of the throttle I add 6° advance. Which is not much at all. Considering the 87 octane Dynojet map uses 5° From idle to redline.

Top end I run 3-4° advance. Stock is 24-25° total timing. Base 20. Oem Advance map 4-5°. That’s a max of 29 degrees. Less timing than Dynojet’s basic map off the website.

Ignition Timing has little to do with the power this serup makes. Take a Dynojet map and pull the 5° back out. Drive it. How different is it? Not all much of a change.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There’s my “motor blowing” changes to the Oem mapping for cyl 2. Wide open throttle from 4500-9500 rpm.

Anyone with a OBD scanner and my tune can verify the same with total vehicle timing parameter selected.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts