Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the oil in the front diff today and when moving to the back to change the oil in the back, It looks like the 6mm hex drain plug might be stripped. Does anyone know if they make a drain plug that’s either bigger than 6mm or one that uses a traditional socket head? Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is. I have a new machine and the 6mm hex appears to be stripped. Once I get it out, I’m looking to see if there are any other head options as a replacement. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ah, I see what you're trying to do. If no one knows for sure, I'd take it to a hardware store once you got it out and start going through the bins. You're bound to find a couple of options that way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sandcraft motorsports sells a replacement set for other brands. You may want to look on their site or call to see if they have something for the KRX.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As a follow up. I reached out to Belmetrics and bought some new drain plugs. They pretty much have anything metric you need in a variety of heads and threads with good pricing. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I know this is a bit of an old post but it's relevant to an issue I'm having. Doing my first service and it tells your to replace the front gear case drain bolt O-ring or Gasket. Seems the KRX comes with EITHER an M12 drain bolt with a gasket OR an M18 with an O-ring. Mine has the M18. Thumper's post above shows the 92065 but that is the gasket for the M12. I've searched everywhere and no luck for the M18 nor the M18 O-ring. I'm on live chat with Rocky Mountain OEM rep and he can't find the M18 either. Yet right on page 112 of my owners manual it states "There are two types of drain bolt: M18 with O-ring and M12 bolt with gasket. These both differ the tightening torque." I suppose I can re-use the old O-ring but the manual does tell you to replace the o-ring with a new one. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it. Worse comes to worse I'll try to find something at the hardware store but I'd hate to end up with something that would rot over time.

·
Registered
649 Posts
If anyone can help I'd appreciate it. Worse comes to worse I'll try to find something at the hardware store but I'd hate to end up with something that would rot over time.
I'm not sure if this helps. I was doing my break in service and I had the required O-ring and gaskets. Knowing my son was at the Kawasaki dealer at the time, I called down there and asked him to pick up some spares as I was using the ones I already had on hand. I ended up with the mechanic on the phone and he pretty much told me the O-ring is not in stock for some reason (I actually got the very last one at another dealer several months earlier). He also told me he has done 20 plus fluid services and just reused the old O-ring with no leakage or issues. He is a competent tech. I asked the parts dept. to backorder me a few, and that was over a month ago. I didn't get a warm and fuzzy Kawasaki really has their $hit together feeling, but he was probably right. YMMV.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah I did go ahead and re-use the old one. But I'm just a tad frustrated that Kawa apparently doesn't even have an OEM M18 nor an OEM O-ring for it. I'd hate to be the person that has a damaged plug...O-rings are easy enough, but if someone has a bad M18 plug and orders the M12 without knowing, they are going to end up with one nasty cross-thread issue in their case.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,389 Posts
Yeah I did go ahead and re-use the old one. But I'm just a tad frustrated that Kawa apparently doesn't even have an OEM M18 nor an OEM O-ring for it. I'd hate to be the person that has a damaged plug...O-rings are easy enough, but if someone has a bad M18 plug and orders the M12 without knowing, they are going to end up with one nasty cross-thread issue in their case.
O rings usually don’t fail unless they are pinched or torn. I’d say after 3 or 4 services it’d be ready to be replaced. Buy an O ring assortment kit, 99% of the time what you need will be in there. Make sure to grease em up before installing also.

Regarding the torque spec, my experience was the drain bolt tightened and sealed before I could even reach the foot pounds required. Any more would have certainly caused thread or casing damage. Or even worse stripping the bolt.

·
Registered
2014 T2 SE, 2021 KRX 1000 TE
104 Posts
I am doing the 20h service on mine today and will follow up. I will check the thread pitch and see if I can determine o-ring size for both front and rear. I am with BigParm in that it is fine to reuse the old o-ring.

·
Registered
2014 T2 SE, 2021 KRX 1000 TE
104 Posts
OK, just serviced mine. All three drain plugs on mine are 12mmx1.5mm pitch. They are also all 15mm long with the trans and diff using a 6mm hex and the engine using a 17mm socket. The fill plugs on the trans and diff use a 27mm socket. For those who do not like the 6mm hex, the drain plugs can easily be changed to a bolt style format and should be readily available at your local auto parts store and Amazon.
If you want to get fancy. https://www.amazon.com/NICECNC-Magn...fix=12mm+oil+drain+plug,automotive,228&sr=1-3
I am not sure on the pitch for the 18mm plug, but if it is a 1.5mm pitch than this is a possibility. https://www.amazon.com/Votex-Stainl...dp/B086RQZYZM/ref=psdc_15726101_t3_B00DJ6BCEA

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,263 Posts
OK, just serviced mine. All three drain plugs on mine are 12mmx1.5mm pitch. They are also all 15mm long with the trans and diff using a 6mm hex and the engine using a 17mm socket. The fill plugs on the trans and diff use a 27mm socket. For those who do not like the 6mm hex, the drain plugs can easily be changed to a bolt style format and should be readily available at your local auto parts store and Amazon.
If you want to get fancy. https://www.amazon.com/NICECNC-Magnetic-CBR250R-Hyperstrada-Multistrada/dp/B01N96K2OL/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2NRH3GQC3PS50&dchild=1&keywords=12mm+oil+drain+plug&qid=1621104362&s=automotive&sprefix=12mm+oil+drain+plug,automotive,228&sr=1-3
I am not sure on the pitch for the 18mm plug, but if it is a 1.5mm pitch than this is a possibility. https://www.amazon.com/Votex-Stainl...dp/B086RQZYZM/ref=psdc_15726101_t3_B00DJ6BCEA
Thanks for the feedback. 👍🏻

·
Registered
2021 Blue
98 Posts
As a follow up. I reached out to Belmetrics and bought some new drain plugs. They pretty much have anything metric you need in a variety of heads and threads with good pricing. Thanks for your help.
I'd like to convert my drain plugs from 6mm hex to a 17mm socket. If that's what you did, would you care to share the item numbers you got from Belmetric?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'd like to convert my drain plugs from 6mm hex to a 17mm socket. If that's what you did, would you care to share the item numbers you got from Belmetric?

I bought these two different ones from Belmetrics. I ended up using the one with the magnet because you can use a regular hex socket and it works great. I'm not a big fan of allen head screws. I went with stainless steel but they have zinc as well. Let me know if you need anything else.

Tom

DP12X1.5AHSS - Stainless Metric Drain Plug [DP12X1.5AHSS] - $2.46 : Bel-Metric, Metric Hardware, Metric Fasteners, Metric Bolts, Metric Nuts & Time-Sert Thread Repair
Bel-Metric DP12X1.5AHSS - Stainless Metric Drain Plug [DP12X1.5AHSS] - M12X1.50, M12X1.5, M12 Metric Stainless Steel Drain Plug Diameter: M12 Fine Thread Pitch: 1.5 Head Diameter: 17mm Overall Length: 15mm Length Under Head: 12mm (3mm taper) Threaded Length: 9mm Allen Head Drive Hex Key Size...
www.belmetric.com

DP12X1.5HMAGSS - Stainless Metric Drain Plug with Magnet [DP12X1.5HMAGSS] - $9.79 : Bel-Metric, Metric Hardware, Metric Fasteners, Metric Bolts, Metric Nuts & Time-Sert Thread Repair
Bel-Metric DP12X1.5HMAGSS - Stainless Metric Drain Plug with Magnet [DP12X1.5HMAGSS] - M12X1.50, M12X1.5, M12 Metric Stainless Steel Drain Plug - With Magnet Diameter: M12 Fine Thread Pitch: 1.5 Flange Diameter: 17mm Gauss Rating: 14200 Pull Force: 6 LBS Overall Length: 25mm Length Under Flange...
www.belmetric.com

·
Registered
2021 Blue
98 Posts
Just did my first service today and wasn't sure what version of drain plugs I was going to run into. Turns out they're just as described. Final drive and transmission plugs screwed right into the oil drain and vice versa. Crush washers all the same. Since I don't care for the 6mm plug and need to order some crush washers anyway, I think I'll also get two 92066 oil pan plugs and swap out the 6mm's next service. Sanity check please, this seems too simple but maybe it is.

Reactions: Paul65
1 - 20 of 20 Posts