Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last trip down to Mesquite NV (Dec 9), I was towing my KRX behind my 2002 Dodge Cummins, around mile marker 8 in St George UT I suddenly lost power, and made it to the offramp and about halfway down where I was able to safely pull over. I called my insurance for a tow. An hour later, nothing. I called back, and was told the tow company had cancelled the call. I pointed out that it was dark, it was cold and shouldn't somebody have advised us we didn't have a tow? About an 1 hour 45 minutes later, we finally got a tow truck from Mesquite NV, despite the fact there were 2 tow companies within a couple of miles of us.

But wait, there's more! I originally told my insurance representative I was towing my KRX in an open trailer (12 foot Big Tex) and was informed that wasn't a problem. I also said I was going to Mesquite NV (about 40 miles away). When the owner of the tow company in Mesquite NV called, he said he wouldn't send the truck until I paid more $ as my insurance was only paying for a 10 mile tow. OK, I would pay $120 by card. Then he said it would be another $150 for the KRX/trailer. What was I going to do, I couldn't leave the KRX and trailer by the side of the freeway, so I agreed.

So my question is, why couldn't a tow company from St George tow us to Mesquite? Why did it have to be a tow truck from Mesquite, it would have saved us a long time in an unheated cab. Also, I had to have a friend from Mesquite come and get us, the tow company won't let your ride with. And since it was 6 O'clock on a Friday evening, the local rental car companies were closed, and the one's at the Airport (6 miles away) didn't have any cars available.

And do call your insurance company and pay extra to have at least a 50 mile tow authorized. Also, each trailer (I have 3) needs to have it's own tow insurance. It was a $270 lesson for me.

·
Registered
224 Posts
When you call your insurance you're hitting a call center in some random city somewhere across the country. They won't have the local data base where you are, typically, to make those seemingly obvious connections. Also, tow companies are regulated differently in each state, so there are some laws and protocols in place that dictate their response.

You're better off doing it all yourself. You'll have an ETA directly from the tow company, and you know right away what the fee will be. If all else fails, call the highway patrol in the state you're in and they can get you on the right track.

BTW, if you were in WY you'd be thanking your lucky stars it only cost $270. WY doesn't regulate towing fees, so they can be outrageous. Your bill would have been triple that here.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,116 Posts
Ditch the roadside assistance part of your car insurance. 1, they suck, 2, when you use it, it’s considered a “claim” and your rates will go up.
Join AAA instead, they have different packages depending on what your needs are. I have a 100 mile tow pkg, as well as my trailer. Costs me $100 bucks a year for piece of mind. (Not to mention all the other discounts you get from them)

·
Registered
538 Posts
You're better off doing it all yourself. You'll have an ETA directly from the tow company, and you know right away what the fee will be. If all else fails, call the highway patrol in the state you're in and they can get you on the right track.
Spot on.

Towing biz (especially in rural areas), can be crazy. Knowing our biggest provider, and more than a few of their help, you never know what your workload is going to be. Needing a tow and the provider just got off of a 12 hour semi wreck with a big clean up that had his entire staff (including the office staff onsite), pulling lumber, rebar, pipe etc. Up a brushey , muddy slope....good luck. It's a hi burn out job with oncall requirements that suck. Entitled drivers don't help....LOL, a friend who didn't last long in the field, told me a story of getting paged at 2AM, after a long day to drive 70 miles in a blizzard up a nasty mountain pass to....wait for it.....put chains on for a recent truck school grads semi who had no clue as how to do it herself. :oops: Stuff like that is why tow drivers get an attitude.

Calling the local Sheriff or State dispatch should get you into a rotation of companies on the approved on call list. You should get an ETA at that point. Hate to say it, but if JoBob the local rancher needs a quick tow, you might get bumped. ETAs of 2-4 hours are not uncommon in our AO.

Personally, we self insure. A decent sized roll of 100s goes a long way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts