Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It was a Perfect day ripping up the dunes at Winchester Bay Oregon.

Which instantly changed to a totaled KRX when I launched off an un-seen 20 foot tall sand dune drop off at 40 mph.

I was traveling Left to Right when I flew off this drop off, landed nose first, and tumbled end over end. All I remember is seeing sand, then the windshield and roof exploding around me. There is a lot of detail in this next photo, you can see where I nosed-in with a splat mark, then rolled end-over-end where the roof dug in imprint, to flip me again. Cage held up great but was compressed in a couple inches.

I finished up on my drivers side dazed and confused. THE KAWI CLICK 6 HARNESSES SAVED MY ASS, AND NECK AND BODY. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THEM, BUY THEM NOWWWWWWWW.

We pushed it back over to start to survey the damaged cage and suspension. OH SHEET, the front suspension is ripped off at the inner a-arm pivot point.

No the front passenger A-arm isn't going to allow us to drive this thing out. Cage crushed in a couple inches, light bar ripped off, the windshield and roof a shattered mess.

I was in shock, dazed and confused, BUT EVERYONE WAS OKAY, WEARING HELMETS, AND DID I MENTION HOW AWESOME THE CLICK 6 HARNESSES ARE!!!!!!!! LITERALLY A LIFE SAVER. So buddies got on the phone and we called a ATV/SXS rental place and told them we needed a tow, out comes a pickup truck and trailer, all tires aired down and it handled the soft sand fine, this wasn't their first dead machine recovery being a rental place. I used my KRX winch to drag the dead machine up onto the trailer. Notice how far back the front passenger side tire is. Ripped the lower a-arm completely off.

Got back to camp in another buddies SXS, and picked up (literally) the dead machine the next day to be loaded onto my trailer.

The insurance company totaled it out, and the frame was tweeked enough that I just let them have the whole machine and didn't buy it back. I took off all my accessories and left them a bare roller chassis on some cheap RZR rims/tires.

Lessons learned. I'm an experienced duner of 25 years, but everyone can get bit. The drop-off came out of no-where. BE SURE TO HAVE ENOUGH INSURANCE TO COVER ALL YOUR ACCESSORIES. I had $12K in add-ons, but only had $5K of insurance covering them. I was able to take off the paddle tires and other items, but in case of machine theft, you really need a list of all parts and prices paid and GET ENOUGH INSURANCE! A buddy just added up all his numerous items and it came to $17K of stuff. That large amount of coverage only added $52 a year on his insurance policy. WEAR YOUR HELMET, AND BUY THE CLICK 6 HARNESSES!!!

It was my birthday weekend, and I killed my machine, but everyone walked away with no injuries so that is the important part. I did this a month ago, and only now am telling my tale of woah. I had $32K of machine that was my pride and joy, and I'm still gutted and depressed to see it go away. BUT, I've got a deposit on a new 2021 eS live valve suspension model that should be showing up next week! So one machine died, for a better machine to show up. Machine is gone and I didn't feel like buying it back (these machines even busted up hold their value, $12,600 was the buy-back price tag) I wasn't going to part it out as I stripped off all my good goodies anyway.

Wear your Helmet
BUY a click 6 comfortable to wear and save your ass harness set
Always be aware of your riding area surrounding.
Have enough insurance to cover EVERYTHING in case of theft or totaling your machine.

It was a glorious day for my machine to die, we'd been ripping up the dunes and having a ball. My new eS machine is coming in a week, and for sure I'm going to have stickers on it that say "But did you DIE?

Duner Dave.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,382 Posts

View attachment 4497

Which instantly changed to a totaled KRX when I launched off an un-seen 20 foot tall sand dune drop off at 40 mph.

View attachment 4498

I was traveling Left to Right when I flew off this drop off, landed nose first, and tumbled end over end. All I remember is seeing sand, then the windshield and roof exploding around me. There is a lot of detail in this next photo, you can see where I nosed in splat mark, the rolled end-over-end where the roof dug in to flip me again.

View attachment 4499

I finished up on my drivers side dazed and confused. THE KAWI CLICK 6 HARNESSES SAVED MY ASS, AND NECK AND BODY. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THEM, BUY THEM NOWWWWWWWW.

View attachment 4500

We pushed it back over to start to survey the damaged cage and suspension. OH SHEET, the front suspension is ripped off at the inner a-arm pivot point.

View attachment 4501

No the front passenger A-arm isn't going to allow us to drive this thing out. Cage crushed in a couple inches, light bar ripped off, the windshield and roof a shattered mess.

View attachment 4502

View attachment 4503

I was in shock, dazed and confused, BUT EVERYONE WAS OKAY, WEARING HELMETS, AND DID I MENTION HOW AWESOME THE CLICK 6 HARNESSES ARE!!!!!!!! LITERALLY A LIFE SAVER. So buddies got on the phone and we called a ATV/SXS rental place and told them we needed a tow, out comes a pickup truck and trailer, all tires aired down and it handled the soft sand fine, this wasn't their first dead machine recovery being a rental place. I used my KRX winch to drag the dead machine up onto the trailer. Notice how far back the front passenger side tire is. Ripped the lower a-arm completely off.

View attachment 4504

Got back to camp in another buddies SXS, and picked up (literally) the dead machine the next day to be loaded onto my trailer.

View attachment 4505

The insurance company totaled it out, and the frame was tweeked enough that I just let them have the whole machine and didn't buy it back. I took off all my accessories and left them a bare roller chassis on some cheap RZR rims/tires.

View attachment 4506

Lessons learned. I'm an experienced duner of 25 years, but everyone can get bit. The drop-off came out of no-where. BE SURE TO HAVE ENOUGH INSURANCE TO COVER ALL YOUR ACCESSORIES. I had $12K in add-ons, but only had $5K of insurance covering them. I was able to take off the paddle tires and other items, but in case of machine theft, you really need a list of all parts and prices paid and GET ENOUGH INSURANCE! A buddy just added up all his numerous items and it came to $17K of stuff. That large amount of coverage only added $52 a year on his insurance policy. WEAR YOUR HELMET, AND BUY THE CLICK 6 HARNESSES!!!

It was my birthday weekend, and I killed my machine, but everyone walked away with no injuries so that is the important part. I did this a month ago, and only now am telling my tale of woah. I had $32K of machine that was my pride and joy, and I'm still gutted and depressed to see it go away. BUT, I've got a deposit on a new 2021 eS live valve suspension model that should be showing up next week! So one machine died, for a better machine to show up. Machine is gone and I didn't feel like buying it back (these machines even busted up hold their value, $12,600 was the buy-back price tag) I wasn't going to part it out as I stripped off all my good goodies anyway.

Wear your Helmet
Have enough insurance to cover EVERYTHING in case of theft or totaling your machine.

It was a glorious day for my machine to die, we'd been ripping up the dunes and having a ball. My new eS machine is coming in a week, and for sure I'm going to have stickers on it that say "But did you DIE?

Duner Dave.
Man glad you’re safe, will be looking into those harnesses holy crap, what an accident.

·
Registered
2020 Krx1000
10 Posts
Glad you're okay

View attachment 4497

View attachment 4498

I was traveling Left to Right when I flew off this drop off, landed nose first, and tumbled end over end. All I remember is seeing sand, then the windshield and roof exploding around me. There is a lot of detail in this next photo, you can see where I nosed-in with a splat mark, then rolled end-over-end where the roof dug in imprint, to flip me again. Cage held up great but was compressed in a couple inches.

View attachment 4499

View attachment 4500

View attachment 4501

View attachment 4502

View attachment 4503

View attachment 4504

View attachment 4505

View attachment 4506

Wear your Helmet

Duner Dave.
Glad you're okay Dave! I live in Winchester and the dunes there can change daily. You might think you have the area figured out Ave the next day bam, New drop off!

·
Registered
2021 blue Krx, kawi front and rear bumpers, 5500lb warn axon winch, rugged radio and comm.
22 Posts
Sorry about your buggy, but glad no serious injuries

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah I've been super bummed and depressed about the whole thing. I had $12K in accessories and hundreds of hours of labor into it after 12 months and 1300 miles of pure bliss fun and entertainment. Met some very cool new riding buddies. My eS should be here next week, I've already got a deposit down on it. Now time to plan my new build number 2.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
What I like about my eS is that you can be hitting sand whoops on the desert floor and have the suspension set firm and then head up on some rocky trails and switch to the soft setting and then set the mode to normal when you head back down and hit the dirt roads. Awesome to say the least in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How "Active" is the g-force sensor, on the suspension setting screen, can you see the suspension setting numbers rapidly changing as you're carving up corners? Max is 10? so if you're carving hard in soft setting #2, what is the highest it will read out during high speed corners?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
How "Active" is the g-force sensor, on the suspension setting screen, can you see the suspension setting numbers rapidly changing as you're carving up corners? Max is 10? so if you're carving hard in soft setting #2, what is the highest it will read out during high speed corners?
To be honest I have not even watched it. Too busy reading terrain. I will have to bring up the screen next ride and I will give you a answer. But I can tell you that the sensor is working because it firms up the outside of the turn and helps with body roll. There is a big difference in cornering and body roll depending on the suspension mode setting. Even when you mash on the brakes there is a notable difference in the front end diving. You will be able to see when you get your new car. It takes a few miles as you already know for the suspension to free up a bit. There is no way that a conventional suspension set up could keep up with this technology. You can't adjust manual clickers fast enough for the upcoming terrain unless you want to stop and do so and even at that good luck trying to adjust manually what the KECS system does. Not going to happen.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Glad you’re ok. Definitely sucks about your ride. Did the same thing on my XR years ago. Rode over a gravel pit I had done hundreds of times. During the week they had cut out the far side and I nose dived onto the hard pack and over the handlebars. Been pondering the 5/6 point harnesses for awhile but, thanks to your post, I know it’s time. Have the seat extension so Kawi system won’t work but I believe there are options.

·
Registered
104 Posts
That totally sucks man. On the bright side you were not hurt and you got to see how awesome the 6pt harness are. I 100% agree they should be standard equipment. The way they lock you back into the seat when you tumble is incredible. Hopefully you get the es quick and can be out riding fast. One good thing is when you put your accessories back on it will go a lot faster.

·
Registered
2021 Trail Edition, Shock Therapy, CageWRX Sport cage, 33" System 3 RT320's
187 Posts
Glad you're ok.

·
Registered
2021 Trail Edition, Shock Therapy, CageWRX Sport cage, 33" System 3 RT320's
187 Posts

1 - 20 of 27 Posts