Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kawasaki KRX 1000eS
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have carried a spare tire for the last several years. I am not an overly aggressive rock climber, but will climb some. Mostly it is fast and fun trail riding. Even so, I never feel comfortable without a spare. That said never once have I used my spare and never have I even used my tire patch kit on the trail. What do you all do? Is is crazy to run without a spare? I am considering it for my trip to CO to run spareless...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2021 Kawasaki KRX 1000eS
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have carried a spare tire for the last several years. I am not an overly aggressive rock climber, but will climb some. Mostly it is fast and fun trail riding. Even so, I never feel comfortable without a spare. That said never once have I used my spare and never have I even used my tire patch kit on the trail. What do you all do? Is is crazy to run without a spare? I am considering it for my trip to CO to run spareless...

Thoughts?
Hey never mind, found this thread here.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Thoughts?
I carry a spare, albeit a 14" spare off my Old General. It fits the front so if I have a flat in the rear I'll have to swap it. My experience on the trail (none of which is with the KRX with bead locks) is most of the time a 12v compressor and plug kit will get you home. We've even plugged a split sidewall with a 2" cut. There are times though when you can break the tire bead and are unable to get it seated that's when the spare comes in handy.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,237 Posts
I had never carried a spare before and only needed my plug kit a few times before. Didn't figure I needed a spare. Then when I ran out of things to buy for the KRX, a spare was an easy thing to spend more money on... :) Actually, with all four tires and wheels being the same size on this machine my spare is part of the tire rotation, so it's not a total waste of money. So, long story short, I'm now one of the cool kids with a spare. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2021 Kawasaki KRX 1000eS
54 Posts

Thoughts?
I plan on getting a spare for sure. It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

·
Registered
2021 Trail Edition, Shock Therapy, CageWRX Sport cage, 33" System 3 RT320's
107 Posts
If you ride alone in remote areas, you need a spare. If you always have a buddy with you, or your riding area has cell coverage, not as necessary. My .02

·
Registered
91 Posts
You need a spare tire. Plugs are great unless you tear the sidewall like I did today. Then my new spare decided that it also wanted the sidewall tore open also lol. Still carry plugs and a jack you or someone else may need it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would carry plugs, air compress, with a jack at a minimum . If you don't want to carry a spare, you could alway get you a tube in the correct size, pull the locking ring and fit it worst case and then change the tire when you get off the trail.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
352 Posts
I don’t carry a spare. I have a compressor, tire plugs, and sidewall slugs. If that doesn’t do it I’ll drive out on the flat, ruining the rim. It is what it is.

I have over 5000 miles of riding with this method. East coast and West Virginia a lot. I religiously use FLAT OUT. I’ve never had to use a plug since. Check out Flat Out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don’t carry a spare. I have a compressor, tire plugs, and sidewall slugs. If that doesn’t do it I’ll drive out on the flat, ruining the rim. It is what it is.

I have over 5000 miles of riding with this method. East coast and West Virginia a lot. I religiously use FLAT OUT. I’ve never had to use a plug since. Check out Flat Out.
That is so funny I was going to post I put the armor 3500 in my tires today. I put a half gallon in each tire. It does seal up 1/2 tears and punctures.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
352 Posts
Heck yeah! It adds weight but I’ve got 3000 miles over two machines and I’m good with the weight gain. A side benefit is there’s never a slow leak. Every time I check, the pressure is the same. I only adjust pressure for temperature.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts