Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Blue
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about jumping into a KRX but have a concern. I've read some threads here that lead me to believe the KRX has (or had) a clutch issue. But I'm not sure if its been a 2020 model thing or if it's carried over into the 2021s. I find it hard to believe there's been any issues with the KRX after all the time it spent in development, but things change once machines move out of the computer and start rolling down the assembly line. Which is also why I'm re-considering my initial decision to purchase an RMAX.
I understand every model is subject to their quirks and it's an impossible mission to find THE one that will never leave 'ya hanging. I've been maintaining my equipment for decades, but engine and transmission work I leave to the professionals. In other words, those types of problems and headaches are not what I want. I'd appreciate your comments on the KRX clutch issue. Is it widespread? Faulty parts? Poor engineering? Improper operation? Or is it really nothing and just being blown out of proportion?

Reactions: EzDunn

·
Registered
154 Posts
Personally I don't know anything about the RMAX but I have had the KRX for 7 months and 1500 hard fast miles mostly in Baja Mexico and It is completely stock except for 35" tires and new springs and most Polaris and Can Am's belts get hot running down the beaches for 35+ miles at 55-60 mph and the KRX only got about half way I'm about to do the clutch weights and different belt because it feels like it shifts at about 45mph but other than that no issues with the clutch. But you will have to do springs after awhile do to sag and any extra weight you put on the car.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,761 Posts
Thinking about jumping into a KRX but have a concern. I've read some threads here that lead me to believe the KRX has (or had) a clutch issue. But I'm not sure if its been a 2020 model thing or if it's carried over into the 2021s. I find it hard to believe there's been any issues with the KRX after all the time it spent in development, but things change once machines move out of the computer and start rolling down the assembly line. Which is also why I'm re-considering my initial decision to purchase an RMAX.
I understand every model is subject to their quirks and it's an impossible mission to find THE one that will never leave 'ya hanging. I've been maintaining my equipment for decades, but engine and transmission work I leave to the professionals. In other words, those types of problems and headaches are not what I want. I'd appreciate your comments on the KRX clutch issue. Is it widespread? Faulty parts? Poor engineering? Improper operation? Or is it really nothing and just being blown out of proportion?
I’d say it’s isolated to a few 100 units. Me being one of them, I got a really bad one. So I do have first hand experience on the issues, still to be resolved, other than that I still would not choose any other machine. It’s built like a tank. Hopefully in the future they make a 4 door.

·
Registered
Las Vegas, NV
284 Posts
Imo, change out the OEM belt on day one, then save it for your spare.

You have no problems with the CVT.

Reactions: GWH and BigParm

·
Registered
2021 Blue
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
change out the OEM belt on day one
Sure thing. I picked up on that with almost exclusive recommendations for the BadAss belt. Also that I'd have to eventually do the springs. All in all, that's not bad provided everything else holds up. I spent the morning on a road trip to see a KRX for real. All I can say is mere pictures do not do it justice! Salesman left me alone and I was all over it, in and out of rider and mechanic modes while trying not to stare at how good it looked just sitting still. Well, it was all clean and shiny. You understand. It was sitting next to a Yamaha RSPEC X4 XT-R which I barely noticed. I'll give the RMAX an equal shot but it's gonna have it's work cut out to beat the KRX.

Reactions: hulk and BobX2

·
Registered
2021 Trail Edition, RCOR weights, Shock Therapy, CageWRX cage, 31"x10.50-15LT General Grabber X3's
269 Posts
Imo, change out the OEM belt on day one, then save it for your spare.

You have no problems with the CVT.
I will second that statement, but also suggest doing the clutch weights too.
Personally I don't know anything about the RMAX but I have had the KRX for 7 months and 1500 hard fast miles mostly in Baja Mexico and It is completely stock except for 35" tires and new springs and most Polaris and Can Am's belts get hot running down the beaches for 35+ miles at 55-60 mph and the KRX only got about half way I'm about to do the clutch weights and different belt because it feels like it shifts at about 45mph but other than that no issues with the clutch. But you will have to do springs after awhile do to sag and any extra weight you put on the car.
The shifting feeling you're experiencing is most likely due to your weights having a nice dip in them like mine did. Check out this thread:
Factory Clutch Weights are Garbage!

My brother has fewer miles and is now experiencing the same thing. He's about to get the RCOR weights in his machine.

That being said, if I were buying another 2 seat rig tomorrow, it'd be a KRX.

Reactions: BajaBum

·
Registered
2021 Blue
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I’m my case a new transmission lol
That sucks. Has this incident changed your opinion of the KRX? I ask because probably none of us would buy a specific machine if we knew this was going to happen, but we don't. Yamaha had some transmission problems in their early build RMAX models attributed to faulty bearings IIRC. But they fixed it and there's been no reports since. Certainly Kawisaki would have done the same thing.

it's making everybody (new owners) feel like it's a need to do right this second with one mile on your machine or your screwed.
As far as the clutch issue goes, Supertramp hit the nail on the head. I would hesitate to buy any machine thinking I'll have to drop $600 into it right off the bat just for peace of mind. Of course, I also know I wouldn't necessarily have to do that since Kawasaki is taking care of the problem. The clutch/weight issue seem to come on gradually and owners are aware of what's happening. It's not like it's a catastrophic failure that leaves a machine stranded out in the boonies. And it's not every machine. The dealer I visited yesterday stated one machine in twelve sold has come back for clutch repair. I hope Kawasaki issues a recall with improved parts for 2020 and 2021 machines and incorporates those new components into the 2022.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,761 Posts
That sucks. Has this incident changed your opinion of the KRX? I ask because probably none of us would buy a specific machine if we knew this was going to happen, but we don't. Yamaha had some transmission problems in their early build RMAX models attributed to faulty bearings IIRC. But they fixed it and there's been no reports since. Certainly Kawisaki would have done the same thing.

As far as the clutch issue goes, Supertramp hit the nail on the head. I would hesitate to buy any machine thinking I'll have to drop $600 into it right off the bat just for peace of mind. Of course, I also know I wouldn't necessarily have to do that since Kawasaki is taking care of the problem. The clutch/weight issue seem to come on gradually and owners are aware of what's happening. It's not like it's a catastrophic failure that leaves a machine stranded out in the boonies. And it's not every machine. The dealer I visited yesterday stated one machine in twelve sold has come back for clutch repair. For now, I think I'll wait and see what happens. I hope Kawasaki issues a recall with improved parts for 2020 and 2021 machines and incorporates those new components into the 2022.
Not at all, it’s a very isolated issue, Kawasaki USA has taken very good care of me since the issues started. They won’t blow you off even after warranty. The important thing for me was keeping all components stock, otherwise they would blame the aftermarket upgrades. I have a ride along scheduled with the factory rep soon, at that point if it hasn’t detonated or failed I’m going to request a transmission replacement as it will be the 3rd time taking it to the dealer and there is no remedy. I doubt they will say no. I enjoy riding it I just wish that horrible noise wasn’t there, it would make it so much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
899 Posts
I am not an expert but I do some reading. I have heard the wear on the clutch happens more to people that ride 50-65 mph for extended periods of time. I pulled my clutch cover at 120 miles and 500 miles and I did not see any wear. None of my riding is at high speeds for any length of time. 90% of my riding is 0-20 mph on tight trails through trees. I have around 850 miles on it now and I will pull the cover to blow it out and tell you where I'm at now as far as sheave wear (the grooves).

I'm extremely pleased with my KRX, it has the best suspension and clutching for the way I ride. I have only a few negatives, all easy to live with. She's a big ol' heavy girl with wide hips and she is thirsty! Fuel mileage is all over the map. The gas tank has a hump in it for the driveshaft and when the fuel ends up on the side without the float for the gage it appears to be empty. Low range riding really eats up the fuel. Overall the fuel gage cannot be trusted, people say to use the odometer and target 100 miles. It's hard to see behind but I use a backup camera.

·
Registered
2021 Blue
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
people that ride 50-65 mph for extended periods of time
That's definitely not me. I'm content to slow cruise hundreds of miles of rural roads through the hills and down by the river. Do I wish the local area presented a little more challenging terrain? Sure I do, but it's like warmer climates in the winter. I can load up and go to it if I feel the need.

Reactions: hulk and Paul65

·
Registered
287 Posts
Not at all, it’s a very isolated issue, Kawasaki USA has taken very good care of me since the issues started. They won’t blow you off even after warranty. The important thing for me was keeping all components stock, otherwise they would blame the aftermarket upgrades. I have a ride along scheduled with the factory rep soon, at that point if it hasn’t detonated or failed I’m going to request a transmission replacement as it will be the 3rd time taking it to the dealer and there is no remedy. I doubt they will say no. I enjoy riding it I just wish that horrible noise wasn’t there, it would make it so much more enjoyable.
I thought u stated the noise is there w the belt removed?

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
899 Posts
I have around 850 miles on it now and I will pull the cover to blow it out and tell you where I'm at now as far as sheave wear (the grooves).
882 miles, 110 hours, for a super low average speed of 8 mph. Yes there is some idling as I always let it warm up, but that is a good indication of how I use the machine. I pulled the CVT cover off and checked everything out. Zero grooves in primary or secondary. Belt wear is not visible. It has been a few hundred miles since I blew it out and a lot of dust was in the primary where the weights are. Glad I did it before this next ride. This is the third time I've blown out the primary and each time there is a lot of dust, so I'd say every 200 miles it's something I'll do. It's easy to pull the cover on this machine. Once all the bolts are out it comes out by going down and forward.

Reactions: BobX2

·
Registered
55 Posts
I got a 2021 krx1000 and it has been a hoss.....I put bad assbelt on it and weights ROCO and i went in the Primary spring and cut 2 links out of it and that lowered my RPMs some and now it runs from 65 mpr to 70 mpr ......it did not bother the hold back down hills or anything......I am really happy with krx ......other than that it runs good CVT had NO kinds of any problems out of it ......but ever rided i blow it out really good that is the big thing to do ever rided that is what will make your big problems stay away by taking care of a the Maintenance on it ...
But all i have done to it is put the ROCO weights in it put bad assbelt on it and CUT 2 links out of Primary spring and it lowered my RPM and it boosted my speed up to 70 mpr ......love it .....

·
Registered
4 Posts
The clutch problem is not blown out of proportion it's much worse. My 2020KRX started feeling like it was shifting at 500mi Kawasaki said it wasn't and to keep driving it this is the first week. I drove it 3000mile in 6 months they replaced both clutches and belt. New clutch started shifting at 500mi.this is the best they have. The replacement was no better..The bad problem with this machine was the heat on front firewall my feet were 130dg they have done nothing!I installed heat exchanger on rollbar.
problem solved

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,761 Posts
The clutch problem is not blown out of proportion it's much worse. My 2020KRX started feeling like it was shifting at 500mi Kawasaki said it wasn't and to keep driving it this is the first week. I drove it 3000mile in 6 months they replaced both clutches and belt. New clutch started shifting at 500mi.this is the best they have. The replacement was no better..The bad problem with this machine was the heat on front firewall my feet were 130dg they have done nothing!I installed heat exchanger on rollbar. View attachment 4471 problem solved
This is awesome, can you share what you did to get that fitted?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.