Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Got em, now just need to find time to mount them. They are even the right size. :D

·
Registered
2020 KRX
49 Posts
Look great Bob! Make sure you check the beadlock bolts on those after your first ride. I had those on my previous machine and the first time I ran them was Hells Revenge. Got back to the trailer and was missing a bolt and 3-5 on each ring were backed out a bunch. IIRC, the torque specs on those are fairly low, something like max of 18-20 ft lbs.

·
Registered
2020 KRX
49 Posts
If those are a 5+2 offset its probably a couple inches narrower, so 66'ish wide? I believe that the stock wheels are a 4+3 offset.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My friend pulled his wheels and claims factory are 6+1 on 156 with a flat mount lug... I really like your wheels, did they bolt up using the factory lugs or did you have to buy new ones?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I've heard all different sizes for the OEM wheels. I believe they are a 6+2 offset, but honestly don't know. They definitely are NOT 4+3. lol The new wheels are 5+2, so it should be close to factory width, but I bet it's a bit wider. Aftermarket wheels seem to always measure a little different, even with the same claimed offsets.
Tusk recommends rechecking the torque every 50 miles for the first 200 miles. Torque is low at only 20 lbs, so I will likely check them even more often at first. I have to stop and pick up some anti-seize on my way home from work before I can torque anything down. Everything is just finger tight for now.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have those wheels on my T4. I have swapped tire 3 times. Never had an issue with beads or wheels. I use a Log splitter to break inside bead easy and mount my tires. Tip alert!! I do torque em properly in 3 stages with tq wrench. Curious what the weight is compared to the stock combo???

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I have those wheels on my T4. I have swapped tire 3 times. Never had an issue with beads or wheels. I use a Log splitter to break inside bead easy and mount my tires. Tip alert!! I do torque em properly in 3 stages with tq wrench. Curious what the weight is compared to the stock combo???
So am I. I will weigh each when I switch them out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've heard all different sizes for the OEM wheels. I believe they are a 6+2 offset, but honestly don't know. They definitely are NOT 4+3. lol The new wheels are 5+2, so it should be close to factory width, but I bet it's a bit wider. Aftermarket wheels seem to always measure a little different, even with the same claimed offsets.
Tusk recommends rechecking the torque every 50 miles for the first 200 miles. Torque is low at only 20 lbs, so I will likely check them even more often at first. I have to stop and pick up some anti-seize on my way home from work before I can torque anything down. Everything is just finger tight for now.
you are correct.. I just looked it up and the wheels are a 15" x 8" could not find the offset but one would think a 7" rim would work better..

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Finished mounting the tires last night. Not a job I would like to do full time.... Took about 45 minutes each to lube the bolts (anti seize), get them properly torqued down and up to the garage to air them up and seat the rear bead. I've heard the bead area on these BFG's is a little thicker than most tires, so maybe that contributed to the amount of time it took to torque them down. PITA! However, they're done!
I don't know yet what the OEM tire/wheel combo weighs, but my new tire/wheel weighs 64 lbs each, according to my bathroom scale. Seems a little off since the tire weight is 43 lbs, and the wheels are listed at 17 lbs. That would total 60 lbs. Regardless, the weight difference is what I'm looking for, and I will know that when I start swapping them out. Maybe tonight...

·
Registered
2020 KRX
49 Posts
Unmounted, they look pretty tall compared to the Carnivores. Looking forward to seeing them mounted up and your first impressions.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So here it is. The new tire and wheel combo added more weight than I expected. I'm not concerned by it, it's just about 2-3 lbs more per wheel more than I expected. Each is 9 lbs heavier than the OEM tire/wheel. I knew the tires were 6-7 lbs heavier, just didn't expect the wheels to be as heavy as they are. Just passing this on since I know some people get all bound up over weights. The BFG's have a totally different profile. The actual tread section is more narrow, but still puts more rubber on the ground with the tighter tread pattern. That should make it steer and track even better than it did with the Carnivores. Sitting on the ground, the tires measure about 31-5/8" from the floor to top of tire @ 14 psi. My Carnivores measured about 30-3/8" @ 14 psi. Gained almost 3/4" of ground clearance. Only had time to ride it around the block, so can't say a whole lot about the ride. They did "seem" to feel a little softer, for lack of a better term, but again, it was just a ride around the block and up into the drive. :)
I think it looks pretty good. It will take a little getting used to with the totally different tread profile, but once I get some dirt on them it will probably help. Fortunately I'm more about performance than looks, so hopefully I have gained there, or at least not lost anything. The biggest thing was putting a 32" tire on so now it has a common size, and can be replaced easily if I ever destroy one. It happens....:cautious: If the OEM Carnivores were 32's instead of the oddball 31's, I would have just ordered a spare and run them. The rocks around here do take a toll on the soft, open tread of the Carnivores though. Think they are going to be my winter/snow tires.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That is a nice looking set up. One question, as this is all new to me.....can those tires be mounted on the factory wheel? So new to this I didn't realize the 31's were an odd size. Thanks for the post and pics....great info.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
That is a nice looking set up. One question, as this is all new to me.....can those tires be mounted on the factory wheel? So new to this I didn't realize the 31's were an odd size. Thanks for the post and pics....great info.
The could absolutely be mounted on the factory wheels.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Looks great. The carnivore does looks bigger in the last pic.
That's just an illusion because it's closer to the camera. The second to last picture with them side by side shows the actual size comparison.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts