Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Green KRX
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Factory 17 rear 12 front. Seems a little too low for me. Anyone running anything different? I’m thinking of pumping them all up to 20psi. Might get a better ride and more life out of the tires.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
167 Posts
20 psi is way to high. I run mine at 12 psi in all four corners. If you are running fast and hard, I would maybe go 16 psi in all four. 20 will give you a much rougher ride as you will lose flex in the sidewalls, and will wear the center of the tread, just like running high pressures in your car tires. You would also lose traction for the same reason. Your contact patch will be smaller and they won't wrap around rocks and such. You will also be more susceptible to punctures. Kind of the same principle as a balloon, just as a crude example.

·
Registered
2020 Green KRX
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
20 psi is way to high. I run mine at 12 psi in all four corners. If you are running fast and hard, I would maybe go 16 psi in all four. 20 will give you a much rougher ride as you will lose flex in the sidewalls, and will wear the center of the tread, just like running high pressures in your car tires. You would also lose traction for the same reason. Your contact patch will be smaller and they won't wrap around rocks and such. You will also be more susceptible to punctures. Kind of the same principle as a balloon, just as a crude example.
Thanks for the advice I’m gonna try that, 12 psi is way too low for me. Tires almost feel like there’s nothing in them.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I run 12 all around as well.
I do go up to 15 psi when we aren't on the trails, and hitting higher speeds.

But like Bob said, traction, and added suspension comes with less .

·
Registered
45 Posts
20psi is crazy high. Don’t think I’ve ran a tire over 12psi on any of my SxS. Just don’t see the benefit of running any higher.

·
Registered
2020 KRX
49 Posts
I have been running 10-12 tops. I plan to run about 6 in Moab when I go in September.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tires say 18 max on them. I'm running 16 rear and blew out a side wall yesterday. Seems like a weak sidewall to me. I'm thinking about switching to Mongrels or Terrabites.

·
Registered
2020 Green KRX
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tires say 18 max on them. I'm running 16 rear and blew out a side wall yesterday. Seems like a weak sidewall to me. I'm thinking about switching to Mongrels or Terrabites.
Yea definitely a sidewalk issue. Factory calls for 17 in the rear. Carnivores aren’t a good fit for me. Switching to all terrains when these wear out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
BTW heard the Rampages have a very low load limit same issue the Carnivore has. Went through two Carnis in 250 miles at recommended PSI went to Mongrel and happy so far. Found the load part is an important part of the puzzle.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
167 Posts
The two Maxxis tires have minimal load ratings for a machine this heavy. According to the Maxxis website, the 32" Carnivore is rated for a maximum of 617 lbs. per tire. That would give you a total of 2,469 lbs total weight for your KRX, including passengers and gear. The 32" Rampage has an even lower weight rating, at 606 lbs. per tire, for a total rating of 2424 lbs. The KRX weighs in just under 1,900 lbs. Add 2 passengers at 180 lbs. each (I'm being nice here :) ) and you are at 2,260 lbs. Add in your spare tire, 60 lbs, cooler 40 lbs, and any other accessories you've added and you are at the absolute max rating for the Maxxis tires. They are pretty light, but that comes at a cost. My BFG KM3's are around 6 lbs. heavier per tire, but have a weight rating of over 1,100 lbs. per tire. That's 4,400 lbs capacity! I can run them at 10 psi, fully loaded and not have to worry about them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts