Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally received my skid plate from Trail Armor, any lessons-learned from other peeps who've installed one before?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Did you have any skids on it before. If not you should clean every mounting hole and get the dirt out. I had to retap every hole on mine due to the mud and quagmire getting in their. Put everything on loose and then do the final tightening job when they are all on. The big center plate is easy when you get the 3 holes lined up and then put a jack stand under it. The front plate will support it for line up.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Hammer, I'm more worried about all the dents and warped bottom pan from rocks that have pushed up both drain plug holes in the floor board. Hoping all the bolt holes line up without having to drift the holes in the new skid plate. 80 pounds of weight added with it onto machine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Also the stock Phillips head bolts on the rock rails Were the worst part they got drilled out on mine. They are the best skid plates I had them on my last one but this time around I did a tusk. The only reason was the back order they had. Did you get the trailing arm guards also?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the Kawi trailing arm guards, as I like how they wrap up around the sides, where-as the trail armor only skids along the bottom plate.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks Hammer, I'm more worried about all the dents and warped bottom pan from rocks that have pushed up both drain plug holes in the floor board. Hoping all the bolt holes line up without having to drift the holes in the new skid plate. 80 pounds of weight added with it onto machine.
Hahhah trust me I know how that is. Their is a cheater way around that. The spots where you gave her a little to much love, get longer blots that’s how I did it. Then you can have all the holes filled

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000 blue tons of options
590 Posts
Not sure if you have a lift or not but I jacked mine up and put each tire on a cinder block for more space. It was a pretty easy install that way. I just laid under it and used my knees to brace it. I started every bolt maybe 5 or 6 turn and let it hand till I got them all up. I did all the self tappers last. I think that’s how the instructions are anyway. It’s nice not having to remove the rock rails with the trail armors. They are super stout too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Finally received my skid plate from Trail Armor, any lessons-learned from other peeps who've installed one before?
Yes, i have a major tip for you. There are either 3 or 4 different size,type, length screws (cant remember if tis 3 or 4)
Go to the local walmart or craft store and buy 3 or 4 different color Shorpie paint pens, the kind you shake like a paint can. Pick a color for each type of screw, and paint either the screw head or the bottom of the screw head...then paint the area inside of that mounting point on the skid plate (paint the KRX frame inside that hole)
This will ensure that you get the screws in the correct spot down the road....or worst case, it will help the service guys at the dealership to NOT crossthread all of your mounting locations. Even they are fairly good at "paint by the numbers" assembly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, i have a major tip for you. There are either 3 or 4 different size,type, length screws (cant remember if tis 3 or 4)
Go to the local walmart or craft store and buy 3 or 4 different color Shorpie paint pens, the kind you shake like a paint can. Pick a color for each type of screw, and paint either the screw head or the bottom of the screw head...then paint the area inside of that mounting point on the skid plate (paint the KRX frame inside that hole)
This will ensure that you get the screws in the correct spot down the road....or worst case, it will help the service guys at the dealership to NOT crossthread all of your mounting locations. Even they are fairly good at "paint by the numbers" assembly.
Good idea on the paint thing. It would be best to paint the bottom of the screw/ bolt though. The head even though recessed will get scratched up and most likely loose the paint mark.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
looking at the bag of fasteners, yeah there are 20mm and 25mm long bolts. good idea! thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
looking at the bag of fasteners, yeah there are 20mm and 25mm long bolts. good idea! thanks!
There are also Machine screws (like a bolt) and metal screws (looks like a wood screw. I i remember correctly the silver are machine screw (goes into a factory threaded hole) and the gold colored ones are metal screws. Putting the wrong one in the wrong hole after initial installation will definitely mess up the threads.

·
Registered
15 Posts
One other option would be to mark the bolts and screws along with location before taking it apart or to a dealer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
One other option would be to mark the bolts and screws along with location before taking it apart or to a dealer.
That would work as well! I personally didnt want to have to look up the install instructions or use some type of reference sheet...so just painted them. Plus, i do tend to get a little disoriented when under the sxs looking up. Color coded was a simple way for me to not mess up my own ride. LOL

Either way, i think i little pre work before you install can save some headaches down the road...there are probably more that just these two options. My greatest fear is the dealership...they will just grab a screw and an impact and go to town.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ordered mine on Friday. they showed up today and, are on the machine now. Pretty easy install. One problem with one hole. Not sure if it was Kawasaki or Trail Armor but, I had to drill a new hole.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts