Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 white KRX 1000
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else having trouble out of their tilt steering wheel shock? Mine would slowly raise up on its own and progressively got worse. I would catch myself readjusting it all the time and trying not to put pressure on it while riding. It eventually got to where it wouldn’t lock at all and I had to hold it in place to drive it. That was dangerous and the last straw. So I had to come up with a permanent fix

I took a measurement of where I liked the wheel, and made a solid aluminum strut. Now it’s solid and won’t move on me again. I can’t be the only one experiencing this.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,237 Posts
Honestly that is the very first one I have heard of. Did you adjust it a lot before it failed? I haven't touched mine since I adjusted it when new.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,237 Posts
Oh yeah, awesome job on your fix. It almost looks factory.

·
Registered
2020 white KRX 1000
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, and no didn’t really adjust it alot. It just wouldn’t stay where I put it. Slowly rising up at first. Maybe mine was just defective. I never checked with Kawi to see how much a new shock is. I know I can rely on my fix now though, lol. That was a piece of scrap aluminum I had laying around. It already had one half inch hole it (you can see the darker color on inside of one hole in pics above. The 5/16 holes I drilled in each end are 10in apart for the adjustment setting I like. Then just had to mark out and drill more 1/2in holes through the middle to make that one existing hole match. I’m happy with the results

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,237 Posts
That's really interesting that it was going up. Typically those shocks lose pressure and won't hold things up. Somehow yours was building pressure? Strange indeed.
I don't know how the adjuster lever works on these. I've never really looked at it. I would bet that is what failed, not the shock building excessive pressure. Just thinking out loud here....

·
Registered
2020 white KRX 1000
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's really interesting that it was going up. Typically those shocks lose pressure and won't hold things up. Somehow yours was building pressure? Strange indeed.
I don't know how the adjuster lever works on these. I've never really looked at it. I would bet that is what failed, not the shock building excessive pressure. Just thinking out loud here....
It wasn’t building pressure, it was just that the latch on shock wasn’t holding it in place

·
Registered
87 Posts
Never had a problem with mine....yet. But that said I think your fix is an awesome idea and well executed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts