Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
707 Posts
Sidewall repair, mmmm, yeah, I guess it could work, but pretty useless if you slice a tire right up against a nub in the tread.

In the hour it takes for the glue to cure, you could have the spare already on, and on your way.

Just grab a spare. Yeah it’s expensive, but it’s a necessary evil. Just buy a cheap tire and wheel deal. It’s just a spare, you only need it to get you back to your trailer/home.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
856 Posts
Hope I don't jinx myself here, but I have never carried a spare tire, and never wished I had one. I do carry a small 12 volt compressor and a plug kit, with a BUNCH of extra plugs. I have fixed a couple of nasty gashes good enough to get me back to the truck. One bead cut plug repair I rode on for a couple months, including a week long trip to Taylor Park. This isn't that repair...🤣🤣 It did however get me many miles down the trail and back to the truck. Nearly 13 years of riding and this is the worst I've had to deal with, so I'm comfortable without a spare. If I ever decide I do want to carry one, guess I have my set of OEM wheels and tires sitting in the basement. I'll just throw one of those in the truck and have it on stand-by.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Was just thinking of spending hundreds on a spare wheel/tire for my KRX (and RZR too). Then I stumbled across this. Looks like it would work on a torn sidewall too. Thoughts?
A lot of off road tires have lugs on the sidewall. If the tear was through the lug the patch wouldn't work.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Cool product. I would think of it as a supplementary patch for a set of plugs and standard patches. Like Parm and Joe pointed out, Murphy's Law will deal you a hand where it wouldn't work.

If you don't mind the time for trail repairs I'm in Bob's camp. In fact, it's very easy to remove the beadlock ring, wedge the sidewall and rim apart far enough to reach inside, and prep and patch anything from the inside if you felt adventurous. Otherwise, plug away!

That being said, the spare tire option does add a cool look factor...

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have a full spare but I have yet to carry it even after having blown out my Carnivores.
The beadlocks worked well for me getting 40 miles back on a blown tire.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I have seen this work first hand on a buddies rig in Tacket creek https://sidewallslug.com/

while i have a spare back at the truck I usually do not take one on the trip. I have plugs, sidewall plug and a tube for worst case. With beadlock- sidle a pain you can always add a tube trailside to get you back if needed.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
856 Posts
@BobX2 How the heck did you get a puncture like that?? Where you being shot at by Indians??
LOL, never thought about it like that. Actually, that's a pinch flat. Caught a rock on the edge of the trail while going faster than I should have been going on that trail. Thank goodness for power steering or it would have ended up much worse than just a flat tire. Live and learn. Cost me a $170 atv tire. Guess Pitbull Rockers aren't as tough as they say... :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have seen this work first hand on a buddies rig in Tacket creek https://sidewallslug.com/

View attachment 1163

while i have a spare back at the truck I usually do not take one on the trip. I have plugs, sidewall plug and a tube for worst case. With beadlock- sidle a pain you can always add a tube trailside to get you back if needed.

Like the idea. No messy patches/glue to deal with. Probably wont work in certain cases but it looks easy to pack so why not. Ordered a couple for our group

·
Registered
389 Posts
Just get a tube to go with your plugs and sidewall slug. It doesn’t take up much room and you have a solution for those catastrophic failures.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts