Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

Thinking Of Running It Hard For The Break In. Did You Do This? What Say You?

9K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  708 
According to the manual, it states to alternate rpm’s and not hold it at a certain rpm for too long. Basically getting variations throughout the whole rpm range. I occasionally did a small burst here and there. I’d be careful of “running it hard” if you have engine failure Kawasaki dealer will find a way to not warranty it. Your call and your machine. My .02 cents. PS parts are on backorder for 5 months, no complete engine replacements are available, so if they do warranty it you’ll get a rebuild.
some good advice here^^^^

where i work, i can always tell the folks that take care of their vehicles. the cars have 200k+, and still run and drive like new. the ones that are owned by people that don't are always the ones complaining that "that car/motorcycle/utv/etc. is a piece of crap". well for the most part, if you take care of it and follow the break-in procedure, you're gonna get an excellent return on your investment; the break in period is where the parts "get happy with each other".... things such as the rings to the cylinder, the camshafts, etc. WILL last much longer if they're given a chance during break-in.

I'm still of the opinion that the Kawasaki ecu has some "blackbox" capability, and that it takes note of when you are driving like a jackwagon. I've seen blackbox data in several other ECU's and it always amazes me what kind and how much information they store. things such as brake activation, throttle position (especially WOT), transmission range, sensor readings, ecu programming, date and time, etc. all are stored in the box.

FWIW: i drove ours by the book for the first 20ish hours, then it was occasional WOT. then after i was satisfied all was broken-in, i changed the oil and now hammer down at will.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.