Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Boys so I just got my parts burnt out yesterday and have my prototype front bumper all mocked up for the KRX, I’m curious how many people would be interested in a bumper of this type/style. Obviously I cannot make these as cheap as the big guys who have their stuff manufactured in China and with material prices at a record high my price point is going to have to be somewhere around $300 raw and $350 powder coated. It has a fair lead mount and should work with all of the winch mounts currently on the market. In the photos it is obviously not finished I still have to finish weld but I’d like some feedback from you guys do you like/don’t like? Is there some subtle changes you would like to see? I’m not into the full brush guard style so if that’s your style sorry but I’m leaving you guys out.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I like it. Very nice work. It's very similar to what I built for mine, just opposite tube placement.

I would suggest weld in tube caps for the ends. I used plastic push in and flattened one corner smacking a rock in the bank of a steep creek crossing. I would move the winch to the bumper and open up the center of your bumper mounting plate. That allows access for front drive line repairs with out having to pull the winch and bumper.

There's no way to compete with big companies anymore on steel parts. I can usually buy the part done cheaper then the steel to build it. Unless it's something I can't find I usually just buy it anymore.

·
Registered
153 Posts
that looks good. one thing i would like to see is a place to hook a tow strap on the front- like open up the mounting of the lower bar so a strap can go all the way around it at one point, or weld on a dedicated recovery point. maybe a bar right in the center or a ring/eye right in the center lower bar to attach a winch cable to.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
729 Posts
(I’m East coast so yeah, not my style.)

The OP prefaced the thread with an alert about train cow catcher front designs disclaimer.

In the style he’s working in it’s bitchin.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that looks good. one thing i would like to see is a place to hook a tow strap on the front- like open up the mounting of the lower bar so a strap can go all the way around it at one point, or weld on a dedicated recovery point. maybe a bar right in the center or a ring/eye right in the center lower bar to attach a winch cable to.
I did pondered the thought of an eye on the base similar to a factory pull point between the bottom two mounting bolts. I will defiantly put some thought into that!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
personally, don't like it........too stubby and not really offering full front end protection.

I get it you can’t please everyone with a single style hints the disclaimer lol! I’m just trying to make the most out of the design/style I’ve got started here.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I did pondered the thought of an eye on the base similar to a factory pull point between the bottom two mounting bolts. I will defiantly put some thought into that!
It appears any tow point using the factory holes would still work.

·
Registered
153 Posts
the only reason i wouldn't put it down that low is it could catch on rocks/trees or be buried in mud/dirt when trying to get to it. putting it up above your winch opening would help keep that from happening.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the only reason i wouldn't put it down that low is it could catch on rocks/trees or be buried in mud/dirt when trying to get to it. putting it up above your winch opening would help keep that from happening.
The issue with mounting it higher is the leverage the tow point would have on the actual mounting of the bumper, the lowest crossbar is already an inch above the upper most bolts hints why all the factory and aftermarket tow points are centered on the lower frame bolts. I totally understand where you are coming from and it would be more convenient and more than likely things would be fine to design something up higher but in today’s world things have to be idiot proof!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like it. Very nice work. It's very similar to what I built for mine, just opposite tube placement.

I would suggest weld in tube caps for the ends. I used plastic push in and flattened one corner smacking a rock in the bank of a steep creek crossing. I would move the winch to the bumper and open up the center of your bumper mounting plate. That allows access for front drive line repairs with out having to pull the winch and bumper.

There's no way to compete with big companies anymore on steel parts. I can usually buy the part done cheaper then the steel to build it. Unless it's something I can't find I usually just buy it anymore.

Ill agree with the argument on ditching the plastic tube ends it’s just a way to save a few bucks on the labor, these first two are going to have plastic though next run I’ll more than likely burn out some plugs and weld in.

I appreciate the suggestions!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well first two are finish welded I’m also building them for the YXZ those are the others seen in the photos, taking them to get powdered tomorrow I’m just going with a black fine texture, similar to the stock KRX cage.

I will take your suggestions and hopefully incorporate them into the next batch, (weld in end caps) and a (tow point). If I don’t burn out a flat end cap I’m thinking about sourcing some form of a domed end cap to give the tube some dimension if I can snag them for the right price!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Meh, just not too eye appealing to me.
And it doesn't cover the whole front end for my desert type riding use.
More weight is also a negative as we keep adding more shit to our cars.

But, I echo Bizill comments above sans the plastic plugs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts