Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I was wondering if any of you use Gaia GPS? I've been using their topo maps and USFS maps for a couple years now and they've been great. Many other map layers available too. I use a Samsung Tab A with RAM mounts in my 2 door Tahoe when we're out offroading. Haven't used it in the KRX yet. How does it compare to what you're using?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I have been using Gaia gps to load and keep up with all of my local maps .. there are somethings I like about it and some that I don’t..I do like the multi layers you can load that especially helps when you can put the MVUM on there as the forest service go by that writing tickets.
I would like to find out how to make my own map and impose that .. now I have routes and tracks that I have edited down to be a somewhat map.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Came across this one the other day, mounts differently from what you're wanting. It's from ABC Motorsports, they don't have it on their website yet but I like the looks of it.
Definitely on my radar as an option. Looked at the website this AM and still nothing as far as I can see. Navigator who hates electronics would just have to deal with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My understanding is iPads don’t have a gps chip unless you get one that is cell enabled and thise cost alot more. I just bought my tab a 8” for a $100 brand new.
This is true..... you need a cellular version.... I’m using an old iPad I had laying in a drawer..... it’s cellular but I have no service connected to it...... works fine and free😂

·
Registered
34 Posts
I chose to go high to try and shield it from the sun for better viewing in daylight. Would work even better if you have the non-sunroof model! Doesn’t block my view and I’m 6’1”. All Ram mount components. Cheaper with free shipping at GPS City. I also picked up a bar mount for the Oh Shit handle so I can move it back and forth if I want but so far happy with it up high.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wondering if any of you use Gaia GPS? I've been using their topo maps and USFS maps for a couple years now and they've been great. Many other map layers available too. I use a Samsung Tab A with RAM mounts in my 2 door Tahoe when we're out offroading. Haven't used it in the KRX yet. How does it compare to what you're using?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Yes, I use Gaia. No issues

·
Registered
482 Posts
Does anybody use ON X app?
I have OnX on my tablets. I also have Gaia, Avenza, and Polaris Waypoint Navigator. Comparing the three before a fair amount of field usage, I thought OnX would be my go to. I prefer it for the interface. The downside is it does not work well with tablets as I have to rotate to the vertical position to use most of its features. On a recent trip, I had a navigator with zero experience, and a choice to use any of the three as she saw fit on an android tablet in a RAM mount. It was a trip with a ton of intersections, some at very close intervals, so accuracy was a must. All the apps were dead on. in over 100 miles of travel we made one wrong turn and it was down a wash when the actual route was 25' away on the bank of the wash.
The usage choices on order of preference by my navigator were Gaia, than Avenza. OnX was a PITA to turn on in tablet mode in her opinion, so it wasn't used. I took the tab out of the mount several times when we we were stopped and tried it and it was as good as the others accuracy wise.

I'm planning a local trip and using all three apps. Some of the tracks I'm looking at are kind of questionable for access across small land sections and all three aps are showing some conflicting information in this regard. For example OnX shows a track that stops, even though the track continues in the satellite view. Gaia in the USFS topo layer mode shows it as a marked USFS road.

Conclusion at this point. none of them are perfect, but the lean is to Gaia.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Here is what I just came up with. Should work pretty good (I think). I used Ram mounts and including the tablet I have about $230 into it. Hopefully my tablet shows up tomorrow

21 - 40 of 44 Posts