Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy from Texas! This is my first UTV and first dedicated off-road vehicle. I’m loving it so far (almost done with engine break-in), but would like to know more about the suspension. Has anyone adjusted the shocks from stock? I checked the manual but didn’t see much about this topic and wanted some real life opinions. Should I be adjusting? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
187 Posts
This is what I used and this video will help you get the idea of what you will want

I adjusted mine to more clicks stiffer then what he said due to mine having way more accessories, and weight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is what I used and this video will help you get the idea of what you will want

I adjusted mine to more clicks stiffer then what he said due to mine having way more accessories, and weight.
Awesome, thanks! Is there a general rule for when you want stiffer suspension vs. softer? Different terrains? Newbie questions, I know! Lol

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm assuming it depends on location, does for me I am East coast North Carolina we do riding on trails like Hatfield and McCoys. Which is more mountain terrain. In the settings we use as what I said above.
Maybe some of the others on here will tell you more about outwest Sandy Moab areas.

I think the setting has to do with the individual and what they prefer, but if you use the video above you can tweak it for your setting

·
Registered
94 Posts
First you will need to adjust spring after broke in. It settles around an inch. I ride slower mnt trails in PNW. I run very soft compressions. Almost full soft, 4 clicks. It is rolly polly at high speeds so middle comp setting seem best for spirited rides. I do have acc. weight.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I adjusted my Spring pre-load 1/4' firmer on all shocks last night. I did not mess with the Cross Over rings because it looks like the springs need to be removed and don't really see or understand how they work? I set my compression damping back to stock settings to start but have not got a chance to test. It seems to be setting up a little higher but not much. Will post riding results when I can. Hopefully this gets rid of the popping when the wheels come off the ground?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
142 Posts
I adjusted my Spring pre-load 1/4' firmer on all shocks last night. I did not mess with the Cross Over rings because it looks like the springs need to be removed and don't really see or understand how they work? I set my compression damping back to stock settings to start but have not got a chance to test. It seems to be setting up a little higher but not much. Will post riding results when I can. Hopefully this gets rid of the popping when the wheels come off the ground?
I actually adjusted my cross over rings higher, and didn't touch them when I turned in 1" of preload because of the springs sagging. The higher the cross over ring is, the more of the softer upper spring you will use before the heavier main spring takes over. I'm a rock crawler, so I like to take advantage of using more of the upper spring. High speed riders likely wouldn't like it that way because it contributes to more body roll.
You do not have to remove the springs to adjust the cross over rings. With the threads clean, use a hammer and screwdriver to unlock (break the cross over rings apart) and you can adjust them with your fingers. Relock them together when you have them where you want them. Piece of cake.

·
Registered
1 Posts
- In northern Tx we do some rocks and some roads so I actually like the factory settings - think Im about 3 clicks softer front and back from factory - as far as pre-load and adjusting the cross over ring I have not yet - the only reason I will is is I lose ground clearance - some are getting sag after a couple hundred miles - Im still at factory height (135 miles) but I'll start playing with it if I start to lower. but it rides great as is right now........

·
Registered
82 Posts
when I sent my maverick shocks out to ct race works he suggested to always set preload ring by using a tape measure of the shock body to the lock ring to be same on front and the back shocks should match each other as well... the crossover up to a minimum to avoid spring lock.. measuring from the ground will give you a base line idea of clearance... can be too many variables like uneven ground,, low tire,, load ect... I had to reset my shock ride height first day.. measuring tube where treads are from top of ring to top or body front 6 1/2" rear 7 1/2" crossovers at 2 1/2" from top ring to top cross over.. this gave me 14" gc and straightened out the camber issue on the front...
this is my best common sense guess on a new set of springs.. as they sag I will have to make adjustment but gives me a starting point...
hope this helps.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just double checked the service manual on crossover settings.. calls for Front 2.93" from top of spring to bottom of crossover ring.. rear 4.13" from top of spring to bottom of crossover ring...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Anyone found the perfect setting for High speed whoops? I have front total spring length at 22.25" cross over ring set at 3". Back I have set total spring length at 28.25" cross over ring at 4"
I started out at stock compression settings 12 and 18 and have them at 15 front and 22 rear in the video. High speed whoops it gets a little choppy at around 5:45 in the video? I figure with this much travel there has to be a good setting for high speed stuff?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts