Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have front/rear bumper, roof, nerf bars, sliders, and will carry 2 riders weighing 400lbs combined. Usually ride in the CO rockies or Ozarks, some trails but also a bunch of rocky stuff.

Does anyone have a recommendation for the suspension clickers that would work all around? Greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,761 Posts
Hello all,

I have front/rear bumper, roof, nerf bars, sliders, and will carry 2 riders weighing 400lbs combined. Usually ride in the CO rockies or Ozarks, some trails but also a bunch of rocky stuff.

Does anyone have a recommendation for the suspension clickers that would work all around? Greatly appreciated!
No just the clicks but your tire pressure will make a huge difference too. It really just depends what you want it to ride like.

·
Registered
2021 Trail Edition, RCOR weights, Shock Therapy, CageWRX cage, 31"x10.50-15LT General Grabber X3's
269 Posts
No just the clicks but your tire pressure will make a huge difference too. It really just depends what you want it to ride like.
I'm running 8 in front, 10 in rear. That's clicks "up" from the bottom. Turn the dial all the way counter clockwise and then count up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I won't beat the crap out of it like my buddies do theirs, but also won't want to slow crawl over everything, if this makes sense. Do you have a recommendation on clicks?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm running 8 in front, 10 in rear. That's clicks "up" from the bottom. Turn the dial all the way counter clockwise and then count up.
Thanks. When making adjustments based on weight, ride quality etc, is there anything you look for you decide firm vs soft? Also can anyone tell me factory click settings for a reference point?

·
Registered
2021 Trail Edition, RCOR weights, Shock Therapy, CageWRX cage, 31"x10.50-15LT General Grabber X3's
269 Posts
Thanks. When making adjustments based on weight, ride quality etc, is there anything you look for you decide firm vs soft? Also can anyone tell me factory click settings for a reference point?
I'm not sure what it was from factory, just turn counter clockwise and count the clicks until it bottoms out.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't know the stock settings off the top of my head but I believe its in your owners manual.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
899 Posts
I’m running what is in this video, have been for 750+ miles. I’ve always been pleased so left it alone. I’m a creeper crawler on tight technical trails, East coast riding. I like a plush ride.

Front = 7 up from full soft
Rear = 2 up from full soft

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000 Blue
595 Posts
I’m running what is in this video, have been for 750+ miles. I’ve always been pleased so left it alone. I’m a creeper crawler on tight technical trails, East coast riding. I like a plush ride.

Is that a squirrel at 1:57-1:60????

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Sorry if this is a newbie question, but if I am going to go a bit harder on the technical stuff, would I go firmer or softer?

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
899 Posts
I’m not an expert but I’d say firmer. What the knobs do is control shock compression.

I went fast on a downhill turn tonight and one of my 35” tires rubbed the oversized Kawasaki front fenders. That’s never happened before but I was faster so I think that’s why.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Do you carry tools,beer fridge,spare and other things? If your going fast bump the clicks up in the front by 2-3 vs what the rear is. I don’t like when you jump and the front digs and rebounds 2 or 3 times when it is set soft. Honestly you just need to play with it. Find a spot that you can run through a few times. Set it to full soft cloud mode then full hard and see what you like in between.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you carry tools,beer fridge,spare and other things? If your going fast bump the clicks up in the front by 2-3 vs what the rear is. I don’t like when you jump and the front digs and rebounds 2 or 3 times when it is set soft. Honestly you just need to play with it. Find a spot that you can run through a few times. Set it to full soft cloud mode then full hard and see what you like in between.
No tools or cooler, buddies carry those. Just myself and a passenger. Sounds like I need to start stock and adjust firmer if I start to bottom out or softer if I want a better ride, if I'm understanding the mechanics of compression adjustment.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I prefer general rules of thumb for tuning suspensions so that I know my suspension is right for me, for my machine, for the way I drive, and for the terrain I drive in.

Rules of thumb:
1) the faster you drive the more compression (clicks to the right) you want, the slower the driving the less compression (clicks to the left) you want
2) the more weight you carry the more compression you want
3) start from full soft and go up by 2 or 3 clicks each time
4) adjust by 2 or 3 clicks when you make adjustments up or down
5) fronts tend to want 2-3 clicks more compression than the rears
6) if the car bottoms out, add more compression
7) take notes every time you adjust tires or suspension and keep a log with what setting you adjusted, what you adjusted it to, and what your thoughts are on ride quality.

As others have noted, tire pressure is a big deal. I tend to run in the 12-18psi range and have a preference for "square" or running the same tire pressure all the way around. Would suggest starting with tire pressure at 18 psi all around, suspension at full soft. If it feels like there's too much chatter (tiny bumpy stuff like washboard) , decrease tire pressure by 2 psi each ride. If you bottom out, add 4 clicks front and 2 clicks rear initially, then go up by 2 clicks each time. As others have said, find a loop that you can run and make that your suspension testing ground.

Also, some people's "slow crawling" is different than others. Terrain and background come into play here. A leisurely trail ride for me is around 30-ish mph, a spirited one can get up towards 50-60mph. We have some pretty good potholes up here but no moab-style rock crawling, so I tend to favor more compression, medium-stiff tires, and less preload. If I was rock crawling, I'd want near full soft and a ton of preload. If I was in the desert, I'd probably want even more compression (to a point), firmer tires, and to drive it like a bat outta hell.

Almost lastly, rider preference comes into play. When I ride by myself or at good clip to full speed, the compression's cranked. When my wife is with me, the compression and tire pressures backed off a bit, but still firm. When the in-laws were in town a few weeks ago, I was at full soft and waaaay slow speed for the ride-along because they're a bunch of delicate flowers that will wilt if they sense a bump (or the outdoors for that matter).

For instant gratification, the setting I ride at most often (with wife) is 18psi square tire pressure, 10-12 clicks up from full soft on front, and 8-9 clicks up in rear. Have 700 lbs of passenger weight, cooler and tools in back, glass windshield, plastic roof, and full soft cab for reference.

Happy trails!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I prefer general rules of thumb for tuning suspensions so that I know my suspension is right for me, for my machine, for the way I drive, and for the terrain I drive in.

Rules of thumb:
1) the faster you drive the more compression (clicks to the right) you want, the slower the driving the less compression (clicks to the left) you want
2) the more weight you carry the more compression you want
3) start from full soft and go up by 2 or 3 clicks each time
4) adjust by 2 or 3 clicks when you make adjustments up or down
5) fronts tend to want 2-3 clicks more compression than the rears
6) if the car bottoms out, add more compression
7) take notes every time you adjust tires or suspension and keep a log with what setting you adjusted, what you adjusted it to, and what your thoughts are on ride quality.

As others have noted, tire pressure is a big deal. I tend to run in the 12-18psi range and have a preference for "square" or running the same tire pressure all the way around. Would suggest starting with tire pressure at 18 psi all around, suspension at full soft. If it feels like there's too much chatter (tiny bumpy stuff like washboard) , decrease tire pressure by 2 psi each ride. If you bottom out, add 4 clicks front and 2 clicks rear initially, then go up by 2 clicks each time. As others have said, find a loop that you can run and make that your suspension testing ground.

Also, some people's "slow crawling" is different than others. Terrain and background come into play here. A leisurely trail ride for me is around 30-ish mph, a spirited one can get up towards 50-60mph. We have some pretty good potholes up here but no moab-style rock crawling, so I tend to favor more compression, medium-stiff tires, and less preload. If I was rock crawling, I'd want near full soft and a ton of preload. If I was in the desert, I'd probably want even more compression (to a point), firmer tires, and to drive it like a bat outta hell.

Almost lastly, rider preference comes into play. When I ride by myself or at good clip to full speed, the compression's cranked. When my wife is with me, the compression and tire pressures backed off a bit, but still firm. When the in-laws were in town a few weeks ago, I was at full soft and waaaay slow speed for the ride-along because they're a bunch of delicate flowers that will wilt if they sense a bump (or the outdoors for that matter).

For instant gratification, the setting I ride at most often (with wife) is 18psi square tire pressure, 10-12 clicks up from full soft on front, and 8-9 clicks up in rear. Have 700 lbs of passenger weight, cooler and tools in back, glass windshield, plastic roof, and full soft cab for reference.

Happy trails!
I'm in the desert and we run as hard as we can. Very whooped out in places, rocky climbs and probably run from 30 - 50 MPH mostly with some short blasts of higher speeds in some big river washes. I'm all stock now and only a plastic roof and some tools. No passenger. I'm 190 lbs. You recommend going 18 PSI front and rear ? and then set the clickers where?

Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm in the desert and we run as hard as we can. Very whooped out in places, rocky climbs and probably run from 30 - 50 MPH mostly with some short blasts of higher speeds in some big river washes. I'm all stock now and only a plastic roof and some tools. No passenger. I'm 190 lbs. You recommend going 18 PSI front and rear ? and then set the clickers where?
As a starting point, 18psi all around and suspension at full soft, adjusting up from there. I'm in a totally different environment than you and am driving a totally different car than you, so I can't tell you exactly what you'd want stuff set to, but I'd be running very firm tires and lots of compression for high speed desert stuff. We don't have rebound adjustability, so I might run a little firmer in the rear to help combat the rear from taking off on whoops as it loads up.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I like to start too soft and increase as needed...everyone's suspension, terrain etc. is different. I have Bandit stage 3, fully loaded with a bunch of accessories, heat shield, add on extra mud(can be significant in our area), spare tire, cooler and tools. We are big people. I guess now we have to go to a truck scale(let's hear your number!). I run soft as you can go on the clickers and initial factory setting like Bandit suggests. The only way I hit bottom is driving down into a "narrow" ravine-g out , basically driving into the ground. I think stage 2 would be adequate. Es yes!

·
Registered
247 Posts
We cross those v shaped ravines probably 20 times every time we ride!

Reactions: Paul65
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.