Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, sorry if the question is too basic, but I'm just starting on it. I have my KRX for about 3 months and my back suspension sagged about 1 1/2". I read the manual and saw that the adjustment measuring from bottom to the top of the spring should be between 28.96 and 29.09 in. I lifted my back tire from the floor and measured the spring length from bottom to top and it is at 24 in. How can that be possible? Should I move it up almost 5 in?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
166 Posts

Front Shock Absorber Spring Preload Adjustment
  • Remove:
    Front Shock Absorber (see Front Shock Absorber Re- moval(14-9))
  • Loosen the locknut [A].
  • To adjust the spring preload, turn the adjusting nut to
    the desired position.
    Special Tool - Hook Wrench T=3.2 R37: 57001-1539
    Setting Length [C] (Installed Spring Length)
    Front Spring Preload Setting
    Standard: 578.6 mm (22.78 in.)
    Adjustable Range: 568.1 - 582.1 mm (22.37 - 22.92 in.)
    • Tighten the locknut.
    *If the spring action feels too soft or too stiff, adjust it.

Seated position ,
adjuster turned fu11y cIockwise.
I N040848S1 C
Spring Preload Adjustment
Adjusting Length
582.1 mm (22.92 in.)
Spring Force
Speed Light Good Low
Setting Weak Soft
Load Road
iiiiii
!!!!!!
568.1 mm (22.37 in.)
Strong Hard Heavy Bad High
(Clockwise )

Shock Absorbers
Front Shock Absorber Crossover Ring Position Adjustment
  • Remove:
    Front Shock Absorber (see Front Shock Absorber Re-
    moval(14-9))
  • Loosen the crossover ring [A] and locknut.
    Special Tool - Hook Wrench T=3.2 R37: 57001-1539 Setting Distance (Upper Spring Top End - Crossover
    Ring Bottom End)
    Front Crossover Ring Setting Standard: 74.4 mm (2.93 in.)
    • Tighten the crossover ring and locknut. • Install the removed parts.
    Front Shock Absorber Removal
    • Support the vehicle on a stand so that the front wheels are off the ground.
    • Remove:
      Front Wheel (see Wheel Removal(11-8))
      Front Access Cover (see Front Access Cover Re- moval(16-40))
    • Remove the lower and upper front shock absorber bolts [A] and nuts.
    • Remove the front shock absorber .
      Front Shock Absorber Installation

[*]Replace the front shock absorber mounting nuts with new ones.
    [*]Install:
    Front Shock Absorber [A]
    Front Shock Absorber Bolts and Nuts
    • Tighten:
    Torque - Shock Absorber Bolts: 95.5 N·m (9.74 kgf·m, 70.4
    ft-lb)
    • Install the removed parts.

SUSPENSION 14-9

14-10 SUSPENSION Shock Absorbers
Rear Shock Absorber Compression Damping Force Adjustment
• To adjust the compression damping force, turn the com-
pression damping force adjuster [A] to the desired posi-
tion.
OThe standard adjuster setting is the 17 - 19 clicks from
the fully seated (turned fully clockwise) position.
Compression Damping Force Adjustment
Adjuster Position*
24 clicks
Damping Force
Setting Load Road Speed Weak Soft Light Good Low
(Counterclockwise) Softer-----------Harder
STD
2J10 0
1..1 II I IIIIII1..1
Seated position,
adjuster turned fully clockwise.
IN04078BS1 S
iiiiii llllll
0 Strong Hard Heavy Bad High
*:Turnout from the fully seated (turned fully clockwise) position.
NOTICE
Do not force to turn the compression damping force adjuster from the fully seated position or the adjust- ing mechanism may be damaged.
Rear Shock Absorber Spring Preload Adjustment
  • Remove:
    Rear Shock Absorber (see Rear Shock Absorber Re- moval(14-11))
  • Loosen the locknut [A].
  • To adjust the spring preload, turn the adjusting nut to
    the desired position.
    Special Tool - Hook Wrench T=3.2 R37: 57001-1539
    Setting Length [C] {Installed Spring Length) Rear Spring Preload Setting
    Standard: 735.5 mm (28.96 in.)
    Adjustable Range: 725.0 - 739.0 mm (28.54 - 29.09 in.)
    • Tighten the locknut.
    *If the spring action feels too soft or too stiff, adjust it.
    Spring Preload Adjustment
    Adjusting Length
    739.0 mm (29.09 in.)

IN04076B G
Spring Force
Setting Weak Soft
Speed Light Good Low
iiiiii
llllll
725.0 mm (28.54 in.)
Strong Hard Heavy Bad High
Load Road
(Clockwise)

Shock Absorbers

·
Registered
166 Posts
here is not the best copy of the shock section in the manual that gives you the idea of where to measure from and what the stock specs are.. start with tires aired the same on level ground and roll your Car back and fourth so it settles level.. take the measurement while on the ground all of them and write it down.. raising your car takes the tension off the springs to make adjustments easier but all measurements must start on the ground.. most guys on here have posted as well as myself that there near the end being able to adjust anymore to still have the crossovers work with out spring lock and can't get near 12" of ground clearance.. So I gave in and just ordered up a new set of springs from Shock Therapy.. If you do a search there are a few postings on the subject.. hope this helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I looked at the manual and my rear shocks wee at 24 in. I tied a little more, but only got to 13" clearance. I'll probably need to work on new springs too.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thank you. I looked at the manual and my rear shocks wee at 24 in. I tied a little more, but only got to 13" clearance. I'll probably need to work on new springs too.
If you are measuring the rear shock per the Manual I just sent than 24" is simply not possible.. the max spring pack measurement is 28.5" this spec is given to avoid spring lock... if you have some how ran the adjuster down an additional 4" beyond this .. you may cause some damage to some suspension attachment points.. Adjust the shock springs to the given measurement spec's if you do not get the right ground clearance... then get rid of the over load if that is not the problem then new springs maybe needed...

·
Registered
6 Posts
here is not the best copy of the shock section in the manual that gives you the idea of where to measure from and what the stock specs are.. start with tires aired the same on level ground and roll your Car back and fourth so it settles level.. take the measurement while on the ground all of them and write it down.. raising your car takes the tension off the springs to make adjustments easier but all measurements must start on the ground.. most guys on here have posted as well as myself that there near the end being able to adjust anymore to still have the crossovers work with out spring lock and can't get near 12" of ground clearance.. So I gave in and just ordered up a new set of springs from Shock Therapy.. If you do a search there are a few postings on the subject.. hope this helps
How do you like the Shock Therapy springs? Did you get their crossover rings also? My front springs are noisey, not talking about hitting the crossover rings, just a spring noise if you rock it back and forth. I hear the same on the new one on the showroom floor, but my buddies does not do it. Did your have this noise and do the ST springs make the noise?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm waiting for shock therapy spring kit to arrive should be here in a few days.. I also ordered there crossovers that have an o ring in them to stop the slapping sound some hear..

·
Registered
2020 KRX 1000 "Green Goblin"
34 Posts
Just my opinion but the way the manual says to measure for shock adjustment seems confusing and makes a simple job a pita. Ride height should be set by measuring from lowest point on front and rear of skid plate to the ground. I run 14.5" in front 14" in rear. I set my crossovers by measuring the gaps in the top/small spring, add them together, subtract 1/8" and set crossovers to that measurement by measuring from bottom of crossover to top of spring spacer. I have seen many KRXs on the trail and not one has has the crossovers set correctly from dealer. They only use about 40% of the top spring. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just my opinion but the way the manual says to measure for shock adjustment seems confusing and makes a simple job a pita. Ride height should be set by measuring from lowest point on front and rear of skid plate to the ground. I run 14.5" in front 14" in rear. I set my crossovers by measuring the gaps in the top/small spring, add them together, subtract 1/8" and set crossovers to that measurement by measuring from bottom of crossover to top of spring spacer. I have seen many KRXs on the trail and not one has has the crossovers set correctly from dealer. They only use about 40% of the top spring. Just my 2 cents.
Agree one would think the top spring would be of the right spring psi and size to utilize all of the travel.. I found out one of the reasons to adjust this out is to eliminate excessive body roll.. by using the factory measuring technique gives a base line starting point to which one can make measurable change.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts