Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 21 SE a few months ago and it was slightly wrecked. I have since replaced the broken panels and upgraded to the Kawi windshield, roof, soft upper doors and Kawi rear windshield. The rear radius arms are NOT matched. There is an arm that is green and spray painted red and I Have also noticed one was bent just a little bit. On the driver side. They feel kinda sloppy compared to my old RZR but I do not know how they are supposed to be. Anyway, when driving down the trail/road it feels VERY loose in the back end. To the point that I have almost wrecked as it drives soo sloppy. Other than the radius rods I described above, I can’t seem to find anything else wrong. Does anyone have any thoughts on what it could be?

·
Registered
2021 Blue KRX
239 Posts
I can grab mine and twist them with ease but wouldn’t classify them as loose. Mine feels pretty good as fast as I’ve had it down any road. How is the front end alignment?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alignment seems fine, rolls straight down the dirt road. I was wondering is the bent radius rod might have thrown the rear out of whack and it is causing the tail to wag?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,299 Posts
Alignment seems fine, rolls straight down the dirt road. I was wondering is the bent radius rod might have thrown the rear out of whack and it is causing the tail to wag?

Yes.

The arms should twist fairly easy but there should be no play in the bushings. The OEM arms have no adjustability, so if one is bent, (not sure which one on yours) it will affect either the camber, or the toe which will make the rear end feel “squirrelly”. I would invest in a whole new set of aftermarket control arms, then bring the car in for a complete alignment.

·
Registered
2021 KRX SE
391 Posts
Never had this issue on the krx but on my can am I have had a couple things cause it to become squirlley or darty (a word I use but probably isn't a real word lol).. a bent rear rod, an also bad wheel bearings will make it become loose feeling or washy feeling

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I run 12 PSI rear and 10 PSI front so far. I was also thinking of doing the SuperATV high clearance billet radius rods but didn't want to just drop $$$ for no reason. The bent arm is the top driver side radius rod and the lower rear radius rod has been swapped for a lime green one that was spray painted red so it SHOULD be good but who knows really.

·
Registered
2021 KRX SE
391 Posts
Ive bent the ones on my Maverick more times than I care to count. I carry spares when I ride it because it happens all the time. I have yet to bend one on the krx.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so while installing the new 5 panel rear view mirror yesterday I looked and the right rear tire is pointed WAY in. So, my guess the radius rods are tweaked so I will work on getting them shipped to Alaska for a reasonable price. Going to go with the SuperATV high clearance billet ones unless you guys have a better suggestion. The right rear tire is pointing in by a significant amount and I do not see any adjustments on the stock rods.
I believe this is causing the “Tail to Wag” feeling at higher speeds as the tire must be fighting against the road surface to go straight

Thanks

·
Registered
2021 KRX SE
391 Posts
If I ever bend/break mine, those are the ones I'm gonna put on as well. I really like the way the billet looks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ok, so while installing the new 5 panel rear view mirror yesterday I looked and the right rear tire is pointed WAY in. So, my guess the radius rods are tweaked so I will work on getting them shipped to Alaska for a reasonable price. Going to go with the SuperATV high clearance billet ones unless you guys have a better suggestion. The right rear tire is pointing in by a significant amount and I do not see any adjustments on the stock rods.
I believe this is causing the “Tail to Wag” feeling at higher speeds as the tire must be fighting against the road surface to go straight

Thanks

Measure your radius rods center to center and compare to to other side of the car that should give you a better idea on what is going on.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Measure your radius rods center to center and compare to to other side of the car that should give you a better idea on what is going on.
Well, thanks for the tip to measure the rods. This led me to removing the front lower one and low and behold, after about 20 minutes and a BFH later I got put the bolt that held the rod in place.
See anything wrong with this picture?

So, now to get a new bolt that will fit that is NOT bent, but I might not have to replace the radius rods after all. WOOT WOOT. Just take them off and paint then with bed liner so they look PURDY. LOL

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Not sure if you can really tell, but the hole on the arm that the bolt goes through is a bit "WARBLED" out at the end where the bolt bent. Not sure if that will make a difference with the new bolt once I find one. Thoughts?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got a new bolt in from ACE for now till the brute force kit arrives but it still looks like it is pointed in, but so does the other side.
I will test drive it in a day or 2 as it is -15 outside right now and I DON’T WANNA!!!!!

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
733 Posts
-15, not without a shot of liquid courage. LOL I agree with waiting! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
-15, not without a shot of liquid courage. LOL I agree with waiting! Keep us posted.
Problem with that is your liquid courage just FROZE before you could drink it. HAHAHAHA

I will post up how she drives after the test. I am thinking that the rear tires kinda point a little inwards anyway but not 100% sure. There is no adjustment to be made unless aftermarket radius rods are bought. I have checked all the welds and nothing is tweaked on the frame so not sure where else is could be adjusted from. The joys of buying a wrecked machine, I am getting more familiar with it than most people who own them.

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000 Blue
265 Posts
From the service manual
Rear Wheel Alignment:
Camber -0.8°
Toe-In O - 20 mm (0.00 - 0.79 in.)

Here is how they say to check the front, which you could do to the rear also I believe"

Toe-in Inspection • Lift the front wheels off the ground. • Apply a heavy coat of chalk near the center of the front tires. • Using a needle nose scriber, make a thin mark near the center of the chalk coating while turning the wheel. • Set the wheels so that the marks on the tires are at the front side and at the level of the axle height. • Ground the front wheels.

• Set the steering wheel straight ahead. • At the level of the axle height, measure the distance between the scribed lines with a measure. • Move the vehicle rearward until the marks on the front tires are at the rear side and at the same level as the axle. • Measure the distance between the scribed lines. • Subtract the measurement of the front from the measurement of the rear to get the toe-in.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Based on the specs, if I am within .78 of an inch toe in I should be good. well my best tape measurement from tire to tire has it at just over 1/2” toe in on the rear tires so it SHOULD be good.

Guess we will see soon.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
733 Posts
Related. A sheet of plastic doubled over with baby powder on the inside. Put that under each front wheel. Makes turning the steering wheel almost effortless for checking toe.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts