Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We did a 240 mile trip this weekend and about 30 miles in I noticed I had a ripped CV boot on the rear, I went ahead and rode and it was still throwing grease when we got home.
I cleaned it up and dreaded trying to get the axle out with all the horror stories I’ve heard and seen about stuck rear axles….. 2nd pull and it came right out
🙂

I’ll go get a new boot put on tomorrow and I’ll be back in business, the KRX now has 1400 miles on it so I was surprised it came out so easy….. since my luck is running good I’ll go ahead and pull the other one and put some anti seize on the splines and maybe even buy a lottery ticket lol
😆

·
Registered
297 Posts
for what it's worth: there are new a few different variations of cv boot clamp tools on the market: one uses a bolt to squeeze the jaws of the tool together. for most axle boots i do, unless the axle seal is leaking i don't pull the inner cv joint housing/cup as this can sometimes cause the seal to leak or damage the dust ring on the back side of the cv joint housing. i will cut the clamp off of the housing on the inner joint, remove the outer 2/3 of the axle shaft, replace the outer cv boot and repack the joint, then on the inner put the small clamp on the shaft, then the boot, then the inner joint on the shaft and install the clip to hold it on the shaft, then slide the inner boot back out over the inner joint putting only the small clamp tight on the inner joint and placing the large clamp on the inner joint housing still on the transmission, then clean out the inner joint housing really good and put fresh cv joint grease in the inner joint housing, slide the whole assembly together

·
Registered
2021 KRX SE
869 Posts
And with just one tug the drivers side is out… now I’m off to play the lottery 😂 View attachment 11050
Yep you better buy more than one lottery ticket lol. Could u tell if there was any type of lube or residue of such on the end of the axle that maybe it was lubed from the factory? I've heard some do an some don't. Mine didn't an dealer couldn't get them out without destroying both.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep you better buy more than one lottery ticket lol. Could u tell if there was any type of lube or residue of such on the end of the axle that maybe it was lubed from the factory? I've heard some do an some don't. Mine didn't an dealer couldn't get them out without destroying both.
Yes, there was grease on the splines and the end of the axle, I cleaned everything up and put plenty of marine grease on the splines.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts