Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I striped a wheel lug stud just now. Swapped out tires to the Motoclaw, torqueing to 78 lbs ft and she went. The manual calls for 88 lbs ft. I have been lubing the treads so wanted to stay away from full torque. makes me wonder if these studs are good quality material.....No problems with any of the others though.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
1,054 Posts
I just experienced a stripped wheel stud and this thread came up in a Google search. So I decided to update it. I always hand torque my lug nuts after cleaning the threads so was surprised this happened to me.

I was able to get the lug nut off after:

soaking it in penetrating oil
removing the other three lug nuts
having a helper twist the wheel to put pressure on the stud
using an impact

Once the nut was off there were no threads on it or the stud. I used a 3-pound hammer to knock the stud out the back.

I located a replacement at Advance Auto after the counter man allowed me to poke around the inventory in back. This works:

It was a little longer but no biggie. I grabbed another lug nut there. It was for tapered wheels and I flipped it over so the flat spot was down on the washer. I put all four washers on the new stud and used the impact to pull it through. My first time doing a wheel stud.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
1,054 Posts
Here’s a tapered lug nut that works. Just put it on upside down so the flat part goes against the washer. It’s also not 17mm, its 19mm. But it’s available at any Advance Auto parts.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
1,054 Posts
Almost 2500 miles and maybe 15 wheel removals? The other 15 wheel studs were all in poor shape so I changed them all. I’ve been working on cars for 40+ years and never changed wheel studs. Is it me or the KRX? Anyway all 16 are done now. Just whack ‘em with a 3-pound hammer they come right out. LOOK - the studs are made in USA!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.