Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 KRX 1000 "Green Goblin"
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing my 4 point harnesses a couple months ago I started noticing the back of the seat leaning further and further back till it bottomed out on my harness mounting bar just behind my shoulders. I pulled the seat out and sure enough the frame was bent right at the first bend from the seat to the back. They used light weight square tubing and did not mandrel bend the the tubing. this created a weak point at the most stressed point of the frame. Piss poor manufacturing practice!!! Mine bent right behind the round cross tube that the back of the seat bottom hooks under. I had to heat the frame, bend it back, and I cut some 1/8" flat bar and welded it to both sides of each tube. Its back to its normal position and thankfully I have the ability to fix this but I am disappointed in the corners Kawi cut in some places.
I didn't take any pics but this weak point is obvious if you know anything about metal fabrication.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
853 Posts
That would give me the excuse to go buy the PRP suspension seats I want...:ROFLMAO:

Don't know that this is a specific corner cutting by Kawasaki. I'm sure there is a standard that seats have to be built to. Not being an ass by asking this, but are you a big guy? That could definitely be a factor.

·
Registered
325 Posts
That would give me the excuse to go buy the PRP suspension seats I want...:ROFLMAO:

Don't know that this is a specific corner cutting by Kawasaki. I'm sure there is a standard that seats have to be built to. Not being an ass by asking this, but are you a big guy? That could definitely be a factor.
If you do post pics! Curious what the underside looks like too.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
703 Posts
Ahhh, so it bent right at the bend itself. I’m surprised it bent at all, doesn’t the 5 point harness bracket butt up against the top of the seat back?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not being an ass by asking this, but are you a big guy? That could definitely be a factor.
No offence taken. Yes I am, 6'3" 325 lbs and I ride hard! I am sure that was a factor. And I would bet that a lot of us big guys pick this machine because of the bigger size and more room in the KRX. I know I did! Dont get me wrong, I love my KRX. I dont think anything else would have taken the beating I have put this thing through. But I am starting to see why VFJ was so critical and thought Kawi may have rushed this unit to market without proper R&D. Kawi did a very good job.... But it could have set the bar higher with a little more effort. But hindsight is always 20/20. Im also glad I have the ability to fix these annoyances myself and not have to spend thousands of dollars replacing parts that should have been built to accommodate those of us with a little more girth. IMHO.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahhh, so it bent right at the bend itself. I’m surprised it bent at all, doesn’t the 5 point harness bracket butt up against the top of the seat back?
Mine does not. I made my own. The top of the seat back shouldnt be used as a stop anyway. It is just plastic and would break in a hard impact. I plan to make my own seat frame out of thick wall tubing soon. Not sure why Kawi chose square tube for a seat frame anyway.

·
Registered
45 Posts
After installing my 4 point harnesses a couple months ago I started noticing the back of the seat leaning further and further back till it bottomed out on my harness mounting bar just behind my shoulders. I pulled the seat out and sure enough the frame was bent right at the first bend from the seat to the back. They used light weight square tubing and did not mandrel bend the the tubing. this created a weak point at the most stressed point of the frame. Piss poor manufacturing practice!!! Mine bent right behind the round cross tube that the back of the seat bottom hooks under. I had to heat the frame, bend it back, and I cut some 1/8" flat bar and welded it to both sides of each tube. Its back to its normal position and thankfully I have the ability to fix this but I am disappointed in the corners Kawi cut in some places.
I didn't take any pics but this weak point is obvious if you know anything about metal fabrication.
The entire slider and seat move WAY too much. I am hoping to design a retrofit kit or completely new seat frame and slider assembly and use the same seats. The seats lean, bend, twist and there is too much clearance in the seat slide assembly - I will be addressing this on my machine at some point - a rocking seat and rattles are a pet peeve of mine....Let everyone know if I come up with a good solution for solving the issues.

·
Registered
2021 Blue KRX 1000
161 Posts
The 5th point mounts to the frame on front of the seat. Installed this from right coast off-road yesterday. Have not noticed any bends in the frame. I'm 6'6" and 265. Seat is still structural intact with no bends.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
703 Posts
The 5th point mounts to the frame on front of the seat. Installed this from right coast off-road yesterday. Have not noticed any bends in the frame. I'm 6'6" and 265. Seat is still structural intact with no bends.
View attachment 2597
I was referring to the bar behind the seat in my OP. I was surprised to see the seat bend like that if the top of the seat is resting against the bar.

·
Registered
2021 Blue KRX 1000
161 Posts
I was referring to the bar behind the seat in my OP. I was surprised to see the seat bend like that if the top of the seat is resting against the bar.
Gotcha. I went and pulled the cushion of yesterday to look. May want to get ahold of the dealer or kawasaki to make them aware of the issue. Kawasaki will take care of their customers no questions asked. I'll keep an eye on mine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts