Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to pass along some information I learned installing the 32" STI X Comp ATR tires this weekend on stock wheels.

Stock Beadlock bolts are M10 x 1.25 x 25mm.......................... YOU DO NOT REQUIRE LONGER BOLTS. I bought M10 x 1.25 x 30mm and had a leaker on my second tire Beadlock installation. I am the machinist and fabrication manager where I work so have about 30 years of building parts behind me and I noticed right away that the longer bolt was not allowing the Beadlock ring to crush down. The torque clicking I was getting on the first tire was the bolt hitting the bottom of the steel thread insert that Kawi was kind enough to put in the aluminum rims. Hence why we can torque to 41 foot-pounds. The first tire did not leak, but I imagine it was by fluke. After removing the first tire Beadlock bolts and installing the originals it definitely had way more crush on the tire.

If you buy the X Comps and still have the stock plastic shock protectors on the rear frame rails you WILL have to trim some of the plastic back. From the bottom of the shock to about 4" up will need to be trimmed as the very wide side lugs will rub near full extension.

These tires are solid and easily double the width where the Beadlock mounts and still stock bolts are fine. So if you're using bigger tires and installed longer bolts and getting slow leaking it's probably because the bolt is too long. There was PLENTY of thread engagement after installation for the X Comps.

I live in Canada near the Rocky Mountains and we have tons of shale and real nasty pointy rock gardens and the stock tires were not cutting it protection-wise. So far these tires seem good and hella lot smoother but only made one short ride. I will let you know after this weekend how they fare.

PS Side note:

The installed Mozilla Carnivores are not strong at all. I mean I was shocked how weak the side walls were after I took them off. If you are experiencing weird "how the heck did I get a hole in that sidewall?" type scenarios; it's the tires. You did not hit anything. With the weight of this machine and throw-in lowering the tire pressure, I am positive you could put a tear in an already fatiguing sidewall. These tires are not built the same as stock Mozilla Carnivores, hence why you can only get this size from Kawasaki dealers.

Take Care

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Forgot to show tires. Pressure needed adjusting yet. I also run aftermarket tenders. Why it sits higher. 16" front and 15.5" rear. If you don't have the new uppper tenders. Just get them. It isnt a little difference, it's a lot. Worth every penny. The stock ones are just garbage. We lost 2" height in 100 miles. It's all mountains here. Lots climbing and bouncing and watercuts in the Forest service roads. Still need seatbelts, light bars and a few other things, but the wife is watching..................closley. LOL

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,647 Posts
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the information. (y)

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
729 Posts
Thanks for the tips. Great looking tires!

·
Registered
131 Posts
View attachment 6076

Forgot to show tires. Pressure needed adjusting yet. I also run aftermarket tenders. Why it sits higher. 16" front and 15.5" rear. If you don't have the new uppper tenders. Just get them. It isnt a little difference, it's a lot. Worth every penny. The stock ones are just garbage. We lost 2" height in 100 miles. It's all mountains here. Lots climbing and bouncing and watercuts in the Forest service roads. Still need seatbelts, light bars and a few other things, but the wife is watching..................cIlosley. LOL
I have the same tires and love them. They have a great bite n are a very heavy duty tire. I love mine

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000 blue tons of options
620 Posts
I have the same tires and love them. They have a great bite n are a very heavy duty tire. I love mine
How are they through the mud? I’m not like a deep mud hole swamper guy, just the short 6-8” deep slick muddy areas you come across on the trails.

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000, 2016 Wildcat Sport, 2018 Ram 3500 and 2016 XLR305V12 toy hauler
53 Posts
Any idea what these tires weight?
The STI X-Comp UTV Tire is an aggressive tread, wide foortprint, radial, 10 Ply rated tire designed to provide excellent traction and exceptional handling.

The X-Comp lug pattern is designed in such a way that there is adequate space between lugs to provide significant traction, yet the layout is patterned to keep the lugs constantly in contact with the ground for a smooth ride. One of the design features contributing to combination of traction and smooth handling are the angled shoulder lugs, they expand the effective footprint of the tread allowing for a larger contact patch.

The X-Comp isn't just a performance tire with a short lifespan. STI worked hard on developing one of the longest lasting most puncture resistant tires on the market. The X-Comp features a 2 stage radial construction, dual steel belts with nylon caps and a polyester carcass, all with a 10 ply rating. This type of construction makes this tire incredibly durable, high mileage and smooth handling, all while exceeding all DOT requirements.

SizePlyTire Weight (lbs.)
28x10x14840.6
30x10x14843.7
32x10x14847.8
32x10x15847.3

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How are they through the mud? I’m not like a deep mud hole swamper guy, just the short 6-8” deep slick muddy areas you come across on the trails.
NP in regular water mud holes you come across on the trail. They actually clear the tread well. I was in a decent mud hole that was really well-grooved with a climb out last weekend and it didn't have any issues. I think I will be out Thursday for a ride and it's really wet here. That will be the test.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK tire update. It's very, very wet here. Lots of mud, wet rock and hard pack. Tires handled very well. Mud was no issue even on a steep climb out. Chucks fist size mud balls so its clearing the tread. Tire rolls very smooth but is stiffer than stock. My mountain bike tires were stiffer than the stock 8 PLY (8 PLY they are not LOL). I was running the tire PSI higher as it was my first full run on them. I never noticed much issues with getting the machine moving with the extra tire weight. If anything it seemed better as they bite hard and it makes the back end squat and your off. This is mountain riding in trees and along cliffs; not much in terms of going really fast. Everything is up and down with small sections in between that are flat. We dont do anything that requires WOT except for the hills we roll up on and it climbed everything with no issues. Some of the climbs are very steep and long. Came back and dropped down the same stuff with solid grip all the way down. I used to ride my KTM300 up some of these long climbs and this machine blows me away with how easy it makes some of these nasty hard packed, rock infested and lose shale climbs seem. Especially with these tires. I was running with the front sway bar disconnected for first 3/4 ride and then hooked it back up. It was definitely a rougher ride. I will be disconnecting it and leaving off.

When sway bar was connected we found some forest access roads (not to be confused with forest service roads that are maintained) and ran it hard and the grip is very much improved, stock tires are not even close. Cornering was awesome. Grip and more grip. Roll into corner and pin it and it just grabs and goes. Over regular trails with water outs and rock gardens it was a harder ride than with the sway bar disconnected. I would attribute most but not all of the harder ride to the sway bar. Stock tires are soft and acted like a cushion but with the sway bar hooked up and with stock tires it could still be rough going fast here.

So info for both types of people. Sway bar on and sway bar off. In this area we used to ride our motor bikes with trials tires on the rear for better traction as they grabbed everything. This tire, even though very much stiffer gave me great comfort and I was very pleased with how it grabbed and climbed. Now I am sure there are many great tires out there. I see peoples reviews and all I can say is most of them will probably do a much better job than the stock. So if your on the fence and ride the type of terrain I do then just switch. I think that the stock would be good in sand and more of a desert type of terrain? They are soft so will grab large rock faces well, but I could easily see how worn my stock tires were after only 300km. Now keep in mind this terrain is not easy on tires. I am in the Rockies area of Canada. So to compare think Colorado.

OK not meaning to bash stock tires but I am going to. If you have never had your stock tires off to see this then here is a photo where I just pushed my fist into the side wall. It just stays that way. Never pops back out. We laughed hard about this at work. Your machine is anywhere between 2000 and 2500lbs depending on equipment. This is NOT the tire to be used with that type of weight. Kawasaki you should be ashamed.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
729 Posts
I let the air out of my stock tire at about 10 miles of use. Wanted to see how the machine would do with a flat. There is zero support from the stock tire sidewall! Now that I see your fist example I’m LOL.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I hate carnivores, never understand why people on YouTube compare tires to them... perhaps because of them being one of the original aggressive trail tires? I dunno... mine will be off soon though.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,647 Posts
I 100% agree. The Carnivores have a load rating at right around 615 lbs. per tire. 2,460 lbs total machine weight. They are completely maxxed out on the KRX. That's never a good thing. I would bet that almost every KRX weighs in at least 2,300 lbs loaded with gear and two people in the seats. I bet most are 2,400-2,500 lbs. It's 1,900 lbs as it sits on the showroom floor.
I have no issue with the weight of the machine. In fact I kind of like it. Tanks are meant to be heavy. lol It should come with tires rated to match, not be at their max capacity all the time. My BFG KM3's are load rated around 1,200 lbs/tire. That's 4,800 lbs total machine weight. That will get it done!

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
729 Posts
Related:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mine are going on tomorrow!

Funny how you guys were saying how pathetic the sidewall is on the carnivores that come on these... I couldn't break my bead with my harbor freight tool because it just kept folding over itself... had to use my truck and my wife's car lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000 Blue
243 Posts
Mine are going on tomorrow!

Funny how you guys were saying how pathetic the sidewall is on the carnivores that come on these... I couldn't break my bead with my harbor freight tool because it just kept folding over itself... had to use my truck and my wife's car lol.
So you drove you truck across the carnivores at angle to break the bead loose from the rim. Did it damage the carnivores? I have a guy that is going to buy mine and was wonder if I could change them out myself to the STI X Comp A/T 33's I have coming Tuesday.

·
Registered
90 Posts
So you drove you truck across the carnivores at angle to break the bead loose from the rim. Did it damage the carnivores? I have a guy that is going to buy mine and was wonder if I could change them out myself to the STI X Comp A/T 33's I have coming Tuesday.
That's correct, I've removed tires like this plenty of times before to swap over to other wheels and never once had an issue. The key is to put a slight little bit of pressure on one side so the tire balloons back up and the wheel doesn't move, then you barely have to roll up on the tire from the other side. I only had to do this with 2 of my tires, I was able to get my HF bead break tool to work on 2 of them... it just took forever!

Or you can just pay someone to pop the bead lol... that would probably cost like $20 if you took your wheels and tires in tbh.

I was going to have the place I bought my KRX from just dismount/mount the new tires but they wanted $45/ea with the wheels dropped off... no way I was paying that

1 - 20 of 43 Posts