Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

Steering knuckles

29K views 87 replies 25 participants last post by  NYDET0314 
#1 ·
been seeing that the krx has weak steering knuckles, watched a video of a guy break his in the rocks, didn't look like he was too hard on it. Called my dealer and found that there is a new part number for them. Looks like kawasaki has addressed the issue. I ordered the new ones just to be safe. Costs around 170.00 a piece. They don't know what material the new ones are made of.

#2 ·
I just checked mine and they have hit on both sides. And I haven't even got to take it on the trail yet. I called my dealer to see if they will go ahead and put the new parts on before I have any breakage. He's going to get back with me Tuesday and let me know. Keeping my fingers crossed they'll just go ahead and replace them. I'll let y'all know what they say.

#3 ·
I would be interested to see if they have actually made any changes to them. Would really like to see the old and new side by side. Mine were hitting on the rear stops and not the fronts. I ground the angle on them that has been talked about on all the FB pages, and repainted the a-arms where the paint was gouged off. They have not touched since, so hopefully they won't be an issue in the future. Some folks are coming out with new replacement assemblies, but they are not cheap!

#4 ·
That's what mine are doing as well. Someone said they ordered the new ones and it's a new part number so they should be different but who knows. When he gets then put on we should know then. Mine only touch when turning the wheel all the way to the left. No gouging or damage. So I think they'll be fine if I grind them off.

#9 ·
Kawasaki has redesigned the knuckle and lower a-arm. I have contacted them and am getting the new ones once they have them in stock and ready to start shipping them out. Looks like they definitely addressed and fixed the problem.

#16 ·
Grind an angle on the steering stops that are part of the cast knuckle so it can't get caught (or sit on) on the ledge on the steering stop on the a-arm. I just ground about a 45 degree angle on my rear stops so now there is no flat area to get caught on the a-arm ledge. The front stops weren't hitting so I didn't do anything with them. If you don't have any scratches in the paint, or gouges in the metal then you don't need to worry, because they aren't hitting. I repainted mine after I ground it down so I could see if it was hitting anymore. You can see in my picture where it was gouging the metal, and I painted over it. Again, I didn't grind the front stop as you can see. The red line I put on there shows you what needs ground. Just bevel off that lower corner. I didn't have to pull the tires or even jack it up to do it.

#14 ·
No money out of pocket. I'm guessing it will be issued as a TSB, and should be done by dealers I hope. Still trying to learn more about it. So far all I have done is contact Kawasaki, and they put me on the list to get the new parts.

#32 ·
Yep I’m glad I’m not the only one that thinks kawi dealers are bad. Hell Kawasaki is silencing their customers too in any way possible. I posted a few questions on there accessories YouTube video and they shut all the comments off. They know the storm is coming they just are trying to silence the people for as long as they can.

#34 ·
According to the kawi rep that called me. There’s a huge influx of customers complaining about quality control issues. The biggest one being the steering knuckle recall. Kawi is doing everything they can to silence customers. One of those is deleting comments off of their posts and another turning off comments on their YouTube channel. I have already been a victim of this.

#35 ·
Ever consider that they are doing the best they can to get the new parts manufactured after having been shut down for a couple of months? Everyone knows there was a design flaw with the knuckles, and everyone also knows that Kawasaki is working to get it fixed. Everyone still complaining and bitching about it are not serving any purpose other than to make Kawasaki look bad. Give it a rest and let them get it done.

#36 ·
Not everyone knows that Bob. My brother just got his KRX and did not know. It took him over 6-7 phone calls and 35-45 min wait to get someone to pickup the phone jus so he can get on the list.

I understand the pandemic isn’t helping anything right now, but there’s a fine line on being helpful providing customer service and not being able to get ahold of someone at all. Yet alone deleting and turning off comments is just flat out unprofessional for simple basic questions.

#39 ·
I received the same email as well. Kawasaki is on top of it and doing their best to get folks fixed up. I don't know of any other manufacturer that works as hard to fix issues that pop up on a brand new machine. I think everyone that bought one knew it was a first year model, and there were bound to be a few unforeseen issues once they got out into the real world. I would bet we would all have the updated knuckles already if this wuhan virus hadn't come along. This is my first non-Polaris machine and I have been nothing but impressed by how fast Kawasaki has addressed and worked to fix everything that has popped up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.