Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I talked to my preferred dealer this morning. They ordered all the parts. They said once they are in they will set up a appointment for me to bring the machine in

·
Registered
77 Posts
My dealer finally got ahold of Kawasaki and confirmed that this is a legitimate thing and the process is underway. The white a-arms are on back order however, and so I wait.
Kawi told him that they weren't going to do a recall, just that they will replace the parts if the customer contacts them and wants it done. Seems very strange that any company would take this approach when the part in question has very serious safety ramifications.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I talked to my preferred dealer this morning. They ordered all the parts. They said once they are in they will set up a appointment for me to bring the machine in
Same here. Waiting on ball joints before they call to set up the appt. The rest is in. Good to hear folks are getting set up now!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Called my dealer yesterday. They were clueless and insisted I would have a case number from Kawasaki if this were a real thing. Heading there today for a face to face with them, with a copy of the four emails I've received from Kawasaki during this whole process. Funny thing is, they claim to be the largest Kawasaki dealer in the west. Hmmmm, think they would have heard of this if that were true....
You need to get a log number from Kawi. I got mine when I contacted customer support by phone.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Joe,
Are you talking about your one way starter clutch? If so why? I had mine replaced for making loud scraping sound and its making the same sound again the next day after getting it back from the dealer..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Joe,
Are you talking about your one way starter clutch? If so why? I had mine replaced for making loud scraping sound and its making the same sound again the next day after getting it back from the dealer..
No. The sprague clutch is the 1 way bearing that gives us grade breaking. Like many others on this site I had the grade breaking fail going downhill. When it happens there is a terrible grinding noise. I'm not sure Kawasaki knows the cause yet but someone that gives a lot of reviews of his KRX on Ytube complained about it and they called and told him they would replace the sprague clutch. I complained about the problem to my dealer and when he called Kawasaki they authorized the repair. If you look at a parts diagram you will see that the multiplate clutch rides on the sprague bearing. If this doesn't fix the problem then it is probably in the trans. The sprague clutch was redesigned for 2021. The part numbers are different from the 2020.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
No. The sprague clutch is the 1 way bearing that gives us grade breaking. Like many others on this site I had the grade breaking fail going downhill. When it happens there is a terrible grinding noise. I'm not sure Kawasaki knows the cause yet but someone that gives a lot of reviews of his KRX on Ytube complained about it and they called and told him they would replace the sprague clutch. I complained about the problem to my dealer and when he called Kawasaki they authorized the repair. If you look at a parts diagram you will see that the multiplate clutch rides on the sprague bearing. If this doesn't fix the problem then it is probably in the trans. The sprague clutch was redesigned for 2021. The part numbers are different from the 2020.
Here is a photo of my invoice for
the repairs.

·
Registered
2020 Green KRX
294 Posts
How did a dealer put 4 miles on your machine. I could see running around the block but 4 miles?
That’s standard, typically it’s 10. They could have had it on the lift while accelerating to check for clutch operation.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
That’s standard, typically it’s 10. They could have had it on the lift while accelerating to check for clutch operation.
The service manager at my dealer is a very good guy. I'm sure they had a reason. When I first took it in for the loss of gradebraking they put some miles on it to try to duplicate the problem but because of the randomness of the ptoblem it didn't happen. If it happens again I'll know it's not the sprague clutch.

·
Registered
2020 Green KRX
294 Posts
The service manager at my dealer is a very good guy. I'm sure they had a reason. When I first took it in for the loss of gradebraking they put some miles on it to try to duplicate the problem but because of the randomness of the ptoblem it didn't happen. If it happens again I'll know it's not the sprague clutch.
Yea I wouldn’t be concerned with 4 miles. If it was 20+ I would ask some questions. Although I have seen that some manufacturers are able to roll back or freeze the mileage with the diagnostic tool.

·
Registered
35 Posts
When they replaced my knuckles and arms, the paperwork had a dollar amount on it, to the tune of almost 1300. Zero for me of course, but yikes.

Joe, fwiw, may want to get your address, phone, email outta there...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
When they replaced my knuckles and arms, the paperwork had a dollar amount on it, to the tune of almost 1300. Zero for me of course, but yikes.

Joe, fwiw, may want to get your address, phone, email outta there...
I didn't think of that when I posted but I'm OK with someone contacting me, but thanks for noticing that.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts