Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not really big on rocks, but since I have a bunch of them onsite, might as well use them. The approach is the hard part which is now substantially done! The south loop is going to be turns, twisties, dare say a jump or two, and whoops. The approach for that was done last year.

Of course I had to try it out, including driving over some of the spoils.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Looks like a good start. Track and a rock climb looks possible. Hopefully you keep this an active track build thread.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm not really big on rocks, but since I have a bunch of them onsite, might as well use them. The approach is the hard part which is now substantially done! The south loop is going to be turns, twisties, dare say a jump or two, and whoops. The approach for that was done last year. View attachment 3240 View attachment 3241
Of course I had to try it out, including driving over some of the spoils.

View attachment 3242

Have you tried crawling up the rocks in the background of the picture?

·
Registered
Las Vegas, NV
62 Posts
Yeah, I would be trying to go up those rocks, not around them.

Very cool you have that much land to play on.

Reactions: Bama Vince

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not yet. I'm not really a rock guy(but trying to learn a bit). Our last trip to Utah opened my eyes to the KRX's abilities. Just to the right of the pictured rocks is an interesting approach where you can drive through them. Than loop around to the East along the ridge where there are way more formations. I'm trying to make this into a first class job with several potential uses (like staging reserve water at strategic points for our fire skid unit during the fire months). Also do it in a way that doesn't destroy the view, or area too much, yet be fun to share. The south fast part is in a crappy sage flat so that will take a lot less planning.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very cool you have that much land to play on.
LOL, I was pronounced the Village Idiot 25 years ago when I bought as much up here as I could on the cheap. Now houses on a lot are asking for up to 7 figures price wise.

Yeah, I would be trying to go up those rocks, not around them.
I'm trying to be very friendly erosion and asthetic wise. The approach I cut will allow access across a rock bed with minimal scaring, provide some drainage control, some dual useage functionality, and still get to the rocks. Same with the track to the next set of rocks , gradual sloped approaches across the soft, fragile stuff to minimize damage.

My son is way more into crawling and is hopefully starting his house this summer on an adjoining parcel so this will be a thing for his family to enjoy also. Hopefully, it end up as a 1/2 mile, or so, crawler route from his house to mine.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm thinking this to start. Pretty much driving and no equipment for this section. I might need to get an excavator up there for one rock though. You think a UTV can be sketchy on rocks, try an excavator.

First part looking up....yeah it is a lot steeper and rocky than it looks.

Looking down.

The saddle after the first approach and on to the next phase.

As far as I got today. The path between the two rocks has might need some adjusting. Now to get my kid up here to spot for me, or better yet drive it while I spot for him!:whistle:

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
70 something acres. But I'm giving about 1/2 to my son to build a residence on. A fair amount is already fenced off and we run Yaks on it for summer fire fuel reduction. A personal track has always been a bucket list item, along with a personal shooting range.

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000 blue tons of options
590 Posts
Boy would I love my own range at my house. I just live on an acre and a half though. My family has some property about an hour and a half south of me and I made a range there but I don’t get there nearly enough. It’s only 75 yards but I could stretch it to maybe 125-150 with some tree work. The property slopes way up in the back which is nice.
E69107BA-419F-4632-B2E0-0EF25E553935.jpeg
23AF53BA-DDCF-4F0E-B27F-388E6C4BFF7A.jpeg

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Boy would I love my own range at my house. I just live on an acre and a half though. My family has some property about an hour and a half south of me and I made a range there but I don’t get there nearly enough. It’s only 75 yards but I could stretch it to maybe 125-150 with some tree work. The property slopes way up in the back which is nice.
Nice set up you have! That a lever in 45-70? Shoulder hurts just looking at it. :LOL:
I spent years blasting Prarie dogs here before I actually set up a real range. The neighborhood is starting to get crowded, so more specific firing lanes were called for. I started out doing a lot of shooting and load development when the COVID started....than things "got wierd." Almost all my neighbors have ranges. You wouldn't think there was an ammo shortage from all the shooting going on around here lately. Sons BIL is about 3 minutes away by UTV has a 500 yarder, I'm pretty much at 125ish right now with some steel and paper. Keeping this somewhat on topic with UTV pictures.

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000 blue tons of options
590 Posts
I like that pioneer. Not a 45-70 although I want one. It’s my Grandpa’s old Winchester 30-30. My Grandma got it as engagement present for him in 1951. He gave it to me about 5 years ago. Good luck with your track. It looks like a great start.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts