Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered one of these for the KRX. I had one in my Polaris General and loved it. I've always been a little leery of parking on a hill since we have no Park position in our transmissions, and just the hand brake to keep it there. With the General, using Park could bind up, just like in your vehicle. The Spring Brake Thingy solves those worries and issues by applying all four brakes when you engage it. Great product!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can't tell by the picture if it is lockable but I guess I'll know when it shows up. Just put a padlock through the holes when applied and the brakes are locked. Makes it a lot harder to steal if it won't roll.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
352 Posts
I’m super interested in this. I put an electric version (by Andy Mello) on the X2 and that was one of my top three mods.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I can't tell by the picture if it is lockable but I guess I'll know when it shows up. Just put a padlock through the holes when applied and the brakes are locked. Makes it a lot harder to steal if it won't roll.
looks like there is a hole on the red piece that slides over the brake pedal, and a hole on the black bracket that will allow a padlock to be slid through. Although that’s just a deterrent for the laziest of thieves.

·
Registered
2021 KRX 1000 blue tons of options
590 Posts
Just put a padlock through the holes when applied and the brakes are locked. Makes it a lot harder to steal if it won't roll.
I recall reading somewhere that it’s bad to keep constant pressure on the master cylinder. I’d be careful using it for more than the short times you need to stop and get out on hills. I had the Andy Melo mod that Paul65 talked about on my gen 1 wolvy and I remember andy saying like that when I mentioned trailering it with the brake on. Just a thought. Anybody have knowledge on this?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can say that I used it a lot on my General and never had any issues because of it. Same with my atv's. Used the lock on the brake handle with them all the time as well.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
looks like there is a hole on the red piece that slides over the brake pedal, and a hole on the black bracket that will allow a padlock to be slid through. Although that’s just a deterrent for the laziest of thieves.
The padlock is in a difficult place to get anything to it to cut it off. My thought is that it just needs to be more difficult than someone else's machine to take, and the thieves will go for the easier, quicker one.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
352 Posts
I’ll definitely order one after hearing positive feedback from you guys. And ditto on the theft deterrence. All you can do is make is less attractive. Not the main reason I’d want it, but an extra benefit. I always put a high security chain through a rim and around a shock for the same reason.

My thoughts on constant pressure on the hydraulic brake system is it doesn’t matter for a short time. Short time defined by me (!)
is less than 24 hours. Surely the brake system is designed to apply the brakes for that amount of time. I always trailer my X2 with it on as the parking brake on that machine is useless. 5-6 hours to WV would be the max it’s ever stayed on (5 times?). Usual weekend local trailer rides of less than an hour are more routine. Never had a problem in over a year. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I’ll definitely order one after hearing positive feedback from you guys. And ditto on the theft deterrence. All you can do is make is less attractive. Not the main reason I’d want it, but an extra benefit. I always put a high security chain through a rim and around a shock for the same reason.

My thoughts on constant pressure on the hydraulic brake system is it doesn’t matter for a short time. Short time defined by me (!)
is less than 24 hours. Surely the brake system is designed to apply the brakes for that amount of time. I always trailer my X2 with it on as the parking brake on that machine is useless. 5-6 hours to WV would be the max it’s ever stayed on (5 times?). Usual weekend local trailer rides of less than an hour are more routine. Never had a problem in over a year. Just my thoughts.
sounds good. As I have no time on my KRX as of yet, is the parking brake any better on it that the Wolverine’s Paul?

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
352 Posts
Wolverines have a separate disc brake on the driveshaft that’s tricky to service. Some like that’s it’s independent, I hated it. The KRX appears to have a more conventional cable activation to the rear brakes. Service / adjustment appears to be much better!

Reactions: Atcdan13

·
Registered
226 Posts
Nice! thanks for posting this Bob! I saw one of these mounted on a RZR a while back and thought that it was a great idea. I had forgotten all about it. It's always made me a bit nervous with just the park brake on hills.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Look what I found in my mailbox yesterday. After checking it out, and looking at the KRX, I think if I take my time and I'm very careful and neat, I should be able to install it in 5 minutes max. 🤣 It really is that easy.
It is lockable. When engaged, the two holes will be aligned and you just run a padlock through it. I know, it doesn't make the KRX theft proof, but it sure makes things more difficult. The more difficult you can make it, the less likely it is to be stolen if there are easier pickings near by. If someone wants it bad enough, they will get it. That's part of the reason for insurance. (it is also protected by Mr. Gaston Glock, Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson :) )

·
Registered
590 Posts
Look what I found in my mailbox yesterday. After checking it out, and looking at the KRX, I think if I take my time and I'm very careful and neat, I should be able to install it in 5 minutes max. 🤣 It really is that easy.
It is lockable. When engaged, the two holes will be aligned and you just run a padlock through it. I know, it doesn't make the KRX theft proof, but it sure makes things more difficult. The more difficult you can make it, the less likely it is to be stolen if there are easier pickings near by. If someone wants it bad enough, they will get it. That's part of the reason for insurance. (it is also protected by Mr. Gaston Glock, Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson :) )

View attachment 2220
Does it work as advertised?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does it work as advertised?
I'll let you know as soon as I install it. I mean, there's really nothing that could be wrong with it. The two bolt holes lined up perfectly when I held it up in place.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
352 Posts
I ordered one this morning.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Went out in the garage Friday night and installed it. I would suggest finding a helper when you install this. Not that it is in any way difficult, it's just trying to get the bolt through the firewall, holding it while you put the washers and nut on, and then tightening it down. You just need someone to hold one end or the other. It is IMPOSSIBLE to reach both by yourself. It took some creativity and imagination to figure out how to hold the wrench in place while I used a ratchet to tighten down the bolt. Turned a 5 minute job into about a 10 minute job... It doubled my installation time, and I almost missed dinner. LOL
It works great, but the holes for the padlock are slightly out of alignment when the brake is set. I will tinker around with it a little bit when I get some free time for stuff like that again.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Went out in the garage Friday night and installed it. I would suggest finding a helper when you install this. Not that it is in any way difficult, it's just trying to get the bolt through the firewall, holding it while you put the washers and nut on, and then tightening it down. You just need someone to hold one end or the other. It is IMPOSSIBLE to reach both by yourself. It took some creativity and imagination to figure out how to hold the wrench in place while I used a ratchet to tighten down the bolt. Turned a 5 minute job into about a 10 minute... It doubled my installation time, and I almost missed dinner. LOL
I works great, but the holes for the padlock are slightly out of alignment when the brake is set. I will tinker around with it a little bit when I get some free time for stuff like that again.

View attachment 2265

View attachment 2266
I put the bolt in the other direction and it made it easier to tighten from inside the fender well.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts