Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife and I did our first trip without fender flares and she said there won't be a second one. We ride in WV and the snow melted and everything was covered in mud. I have been looking at factory, spike, and rockblockz.
The factory looks nice but the $500 seems a bit much for molded plastic.
I have heard good things about the rockblockz but I ran across spike powersports and liked the look of theirs as well. I think between the spike and rockblockz I like the look of Spike more than rockblockz and the price is about the same. Problem is I can't find any reviews or youtube videos about people that put them on their machine. Thought I would try here and see if anyone has put them on and get their opinion.

I got the instructions from the manufacturer and they require me to drill lots of small holes for extra plastic rivets which I am not crazy about but I think you drill holes for rockblockz as well.

If you put on Spike fender flares let me know what you think of them.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
464 Posts
The factory ones are expensive but they engineered a mold and well, molded them. The other ones look like something you could do yourself with Long John Fender Flares (look it up on Amazon) and tin snips and rivets. Which is fine - but Long Johns are that much cheaper!!!

Reactions: KRX PNW

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the Rokblokz and really like them....cheaper than factory, still have good visual on the front tire when you lean out and when they rub a tree they so far haven't broken....just fold up and then back down. The lower half on the front is designed to come off if you are doing some serious rock crawling too......just my 2 cents.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,352 Posts
factory fender flares, I've got a $30K machine and don't want some fenders that look like an 8th grade Jr High shop project.
This exactly. That’s the one accessory I will fork out the money for. I haven’t seen an aftermarket one that is actually “good” in looks. They all look like they’ve been cut out with some shears.

·
Registered
2021 KRX SE
291 Posts
I hate the look of ALL flares, even the factory ones but I hate being freckled with mud worse. I do run the spike flares, the fronts went on great an I did not modify those at all. On the rears, I did not add the bottom sections, (there a two piece design on the rear an they join with push darts an look cheesy imo) so I modified the top section as well where it would of joined the bottom section.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have the Rokblokz and really like them....cheaper than factory, still have good visual on the front tire when you lean out and when they rub a tree they so far haven't broken....just fold up and then back down. The lower half on the front is designed to come off if you are doing some serious rock crawling too......just my 2 cents.
i would like to add to that by saying that the Rokblokz are also flat on top and will hold your beer when parked.

·
Registered
12 Posts
factory fender flares, I've got a $30K machine and don't want some fenders that look like an 8th grade Jr High shop project.
I totally get this... my only worry is in off-camber situations that $500 stacks up if you rip them off/damage them every year. I'm torn between just getting the factory because we have a nice, new machine or go inexpensive figuring it could be a wear item...
Thinking about going without our first ride (we have upper doors to keep the mud off) and seeing how factory fenders do on rough trails, how much the flares would scrape through tight, off-camber spots.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,352 Posts
I totally get this... my only worry is in off-camber situations that $500 stacks up if you rip them off/damage them every year. I'm torn between just getting the factory because we have a nice, new machine or go inexpensive figuring it could be a wear item...
Thinking about going without our first ride (we have upper doors to keep the mud off) and seeing how factory fenders do on rough trails, how much the flares would scrape through tight, off-camber spots.
I don’t think you could possibly compress the suspension that far to rip them off. You’d almost have to ramp off a cliff lol

·
Registered
2021 KRX SE
291 Posts
I have the spike flares installed with all push pins an I have been in some tight spots an rubbed them against trees an really deep ruts from bouncer trucks an for some odd reason the left rear is the only one I have ever ripped off. An I've done it 2 or 3 times to the left rear. But a few new push pins an it goes right back on and Good to go

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,447 Posts
I'm not a big fan of fender flares, but the KRX definitely needs them. For some reason I absolutely hate the look of the OEM flares, and hate the price as well. I decided to try AJ's, and I'm glad I did. I only bought the front flares, $100, and that's really all I will ever need. Not much mud here in Colorado, and the one day I did ride a bunch of muddy field access roads, they worked great. They are a pretty minimal design and work surprisingly well. I have dropped over rocks and folded up the lower part on the rocks. It returns to it's shape when you get off the rock. Worst case it would pop out the plastic rivets and you would have to pop them back in. It is the same plastic material that my RokBlokz trailing arm flaps are made from, and those get folded up flat to the arm all the time in the rocks. The only thing I might someday do is to add some regular mud flap material to the bottom to lengthen them a little. You can see in my muddy photo how clean the front end is and how clean the seats are. I did not have a passenger. A little more length to the lower ends would have kept the mud out of the door handle area as well.

KRX 1000 - AJ's SXS Accessories

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just picked up my Spike flares yesterday. Putting them on tomorrow. I ride in Ohio where we have right trails and deep ruts. That is why I didn’t go with OEM Kawasaki flares. Plus don’t care for the look of them. I will let you know how the install goes and fit and finish when I am done

·
Registered
2021 KRX SE
291 Posts
Depending on if u have the Kawasaki nerf bars the bottoms on the rear may be ok an look ok I have the nerf bars an I couldn't get them to fit right an look right enough to me they looked cheesy so that's what I left them off an modified the top portion a bit . Following

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,352 Posts
I'm not a big fan of fender flares, but the KRX definitely needs them. For some reason I absolutely hate the look of the OEM flares, and hate the price as well. I decided to try AJ's, and I'm glad I did. I only bought the front flares, $100, and that's really all I will ever need. Not much mud here in Colorado, and the one day I did ride a bunch of muddy field access roads, they worked great. They are a pretty minimal design and work surprisingly well. I have dropped over rocks and folded up the lower part on the rocks. It returns to it's shape when you get off the rock. Worst case it would pop out the plastic rivets and you would have to pop them back in. It is the same plastic material that my RokBlokz trailing arm flaps are made from, and those get folded up flat to the arm all the time in the rocks. The only thing I might someday do is to add some regular mud flap material to the bottom to lengthen them a little. You can see in my muddy photo how clean the front end is and how clean the seats are. I did not have a passenger. A little more length to the lower ends would have kept the mud out of the door handle area as well.

KRX 1000 - AJ's SXS Accessories

View attachment 1848

View attachment 1849
Not bad for $100 bucks. Does it keep the mud and dirt off the wife? That’s her biggest complaint and she won’t go ridin

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,447 Posts
Not bad for $100 bucks. Does it keep the mud and dirt off the wife? That’s her biggest complaint and she won’t go ridin
I've had no complaints. You can see in the picture above how clean the passengers seat was after a few miles of muddy roads. I would guess that they do as good of a job as any others. Not saying there was zero mud in there, but it is an open cab...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts