Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the bolt pattern and off set for the wheel? Dont want to spend $500 for spare wheel from kawasaki

·
Registered
21 Posts
Any luck finding a spare? I am looking for a spare for upcoming trip. I measured the tire height on the stock set up and it’s 29.5” tall. Let me know if you already have it figured out.

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
291 Posts
Yeah, that's a tough one. Thought about ordering the spare tire/wheel from Kawasaki, but having second thoughts. When these OEM tires wear out, I will be replacing them with 32" tires, which you can find everywhere. Hate to buy the high dollar tire from Kawi that I may never use. If they had put 32" Canivores on them, I would already have given them my money for the spare.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, that's a tough one. Thought about ordering the spare tire/wheel from Kawasaki, but having second thoughts. When these OEM tires wear out, I will be replacing them with 32" tires, which you can find everywhere. Hate to but the high dollar tire from Kawi that I may never use. If they had put 32" Canivores on them, I would already have given them my money for the spare.
I think I may buy a used rim and 32" carnivore for a spare. I have already bought one of the $370 carnivores from Kawasaki.

·
Registered
61 Posts
4 x 156, 8" wheel 6" + 2" make sure you get a 15" spare a 14" will not clear the brake calipers
The other thing you need to do is make sure the wheel you buy is compatible with the KRX. The factory wheels are hub centric. The wheel is centered on the hub not the lugs. The lugs don't support the weight of the machine the hub does. The lugs and nuts hold the wheel to the hub. That is why are lug nuts are flat not talered. Not all wheels that are 4/156 will fit the KRX. If you pull a wheel off you will see how hub centric works.

·
Registered
44 Posts
That is great info....did not know that. Is there any particular place that sells a decent wheel to use as a spare that you can recommend?

·
Registered
61 Posts
That is great info....did not know that. Is there any particular place that sells a decent wheel to use as a spare that you can recommend?
I bought the Kawasaki spare without the tire so I could by a bigger and cheaper tire. I don't know a site that lists what wheels are compatible but I read where people are using Tusk Terabite wheels and they work. The thing that concerns me is that any wheels that aren't specifically made for our hub propably won't have the correct relief machined into the wheel so that the load of the machine is taken by the hub. Any wheels I see someone putting on a KRX on Ytube is centering the wheel with tapered lug nuts. I'm concerned that the studs pressed into the hub may not be designed to take that kind of load. My dealer says that they are but he is going by the fact that nothing has broken yet. Somebody needs to talk to Kawasaki to get the real info

·
Registered
23 Posts
You don't need to use a Hub-Centric wheel but will need to use tapered lug nuts for the wheel you are purchasing, the factory wheels are hub-centric and don't use tapered lug nuts as they center on the hub not the wheel studs, you can use a wheel that centers with lug nuts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The other thing you need to do is make sure the wheel you buy is compatible with the KRX. The factory wheels are hub centric. The wheel is centered on the hub not the lugs. The lugs don't support the weight of the machine the hub does. The lugs and nuts hold the wheel to the hub. That is why are lug nuts are flat not talered. Not all wheels that are 4/156 will fit the KRX. If you pull a wheel off you will see how hub centric works.
I'm not so sure about that Joe. I don't recall seeing a register on the hub for the wheel to fit over. I believe its flat. But just going by my feeble memory here, could be wrong.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Kawasaki sells the complete beadlock wheel with Carnivore 31" tire mounted for $418.95. I got mine for under $400 and sold the tire for $100 to a buddy. Much cheaper than buying a separate wheel.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts