Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Blue KRX 1000
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to get a set of skid plates. I actually ordered an aftermarket set last month but had to send them back. Were not even close to fitting. Complete NIGHTMARE experience. I will not bash the company or name them. I'm not sold on the kawasaki skid plates for the best protection. Could really use some input from y'all with skid plates.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've been looking at SSS full skid plate as well as Trail Armor. SSS seemed like it would be tough enough for my needs and cheaper too. I'm interested to know if the one you had issues with is one of these companies?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Trail Armor 100%...
Yep, I saw where some one was installing the Tusk ones and they instructions had them removing some of the factory metal skids- same process as the OEM add on skid I think ...

·
Registered
2021 KRX SE
169 Posts
I just received mine from SSS, haven't installed it yet. I'll try an get it on this week an post how it fits an how well holes line up etc...

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just received mine from SSS, haven't installed it yet. I'll try an get it on this week an post how it fits an how well holes line up etc...
Definitely let us know how the install goes it'll be very helpful to know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,237 Posts
Yes they do, I am sending mine back due to that and ordering the Tail Armor.
Just FYI, you do NOT have to remove anything to install the Tusk skids. I removed nothing, other than some bolts, when I installed mine.

·
Registered
2021 Blue KRX 1000
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is my thread on Tusk skid plates.

Tusk Skid Plates
The problem I had with the other company skid plates that ended up returning, they were not cut or bent correctly. Spent 3 hours with a floor jack trying to bend the skids. But there is no way you're going to bend this stuff. They tried to say I needed to heat them up to fit. I was pissed. Even the holes didn't line up. I don't want the kawasaki skids because they do not cover enough. But then I don't want the headache of going through the nightmare again!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,237 Posts
The problem I had with the other company skid plates that ended up returning, they were not cut or bent correctly. Spent 3 hours with a floor jack trying to bend the skids. But there is no way you're going to bend this stuff. They tried to say I needed to heat them up to fit. I was pissed. Even the holes didn't line up. I don't want the kawasaki skids because they do not cover enough. But then I don't want the headache of going through the nightmare again!
I can understand the frustration. They should fit right up, and all the holes should be in the correct places.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just FYI, you do NOT have to remove anything to install the Tusk skids. I removed nothing, other than some bolts, when I installed mine.

Thank you for the information, when I talked to them they said different but that does not matter anymore as I sent them back. I really liked the price of the Tusk skids.

·
Registered
2021 KRX SE
169 Posts
So just finished the install on my sss skid plate. I bought the no rockers version. I will first start by saying a skid plate will now be the very first accessory I buy and install if I ever buy another new machine no questions asked. Now I had access to a lift an some screw jacks which made this alot more convenient. I would not wanna lay on my back in the driveway an do this. I left all the oem plates in place the sss skids are designed to go right over top you just have to remove most of the bolts an cup washers bc they get re used. The phillips screws on the sides hold the rear oem plastic in place. Every hole lined up. The only hole I had trouble with was the one on the side where I bashed a rock really good and bent the crap out of the little plate thats under your feet an floor drain. Had to actually take the floor drain plate off an bend an shape it back the best I could. There's 3 or 4 holes to drill an tap an if you have a front bumper you will have to loosen the bottom an slip the front of the skid under it. I got shorted 3 cup washers an i had to drill the drain hole for the front diff drain. The back was drilled already. I dont know if they forgot to drill it or what but it was no biggie.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I’m most likely getting a skid plate as well. I noticed the stock skid doesn’t have much drainage. I’m thinking of removing the stock and replacing it with a 1/2” aftermarket skid. Will there be an issue fitting it correctly?

·
Registered
2021 Blue KRX 1000
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is no videos on the trail armor KRX skid plates but a very detailed video of the tusk plates. Ones I had to return to another company also had no videos. Thinking Tusk plates are the way to go. Company actually took the time to sell a video with the product. And no I'm not stupid and don't really need a video. But some of the instructions are a complete joke.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Y’all really need to listen.. trail armor 1/2” skids are the way to go. They install easy and the directions are clear. 3/8’s vs 1/2 may not sound like much. But it is! The design of a plate coming up the sides further keeps that plate from deflecting as much and that means less crossmembers bowing up. They’re well worth the $200 more. Use code “thank you” for 10% off. And while you’re at it get the trailing arm guards so you’re shipping it all together. Their warranty is awesome and their product is top notch. I can promise you, you will not need a video to install these.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts