Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we all will eventually be replacing our springs, these seem to currently be the top two choices. If there are others, feel free to mention them here too.

For the first time, I have read some bad reviews about the ST spring setup they are offering, and poor customer service from ST as well. This comes as a bit of a surprise since I had basically heard nothing but good about them in the past.
I have also been reading good reviews about Bandit springs, other than they are always out of stock. That has always been an issue with them, and can't be blamed on the pandemic BS.

Shock Therapy supposedly uses spring weights customized for you based on information you provide them.
Bandit offers two "generic" spring packages, "Medium" and "Heavy".

This is where things get tricky, as springs are expensive and a PITA to swap out. I'm sure all the choices are better than the OEM springs that all sag out, but which ones are the best fit for your machine?

Is a "medium" weight spring going to adequately support your machine for those times when you load it up, or carry a spare tire?
Is a "heavy" spring going to provide to harsh of a ride for your typical average machine weight that you occasionally add an additional 75 lbs. in it?

I recently read where two friends ordered from ST. They both provided completely different needs and weights to ST, yet both received identical spring weights. They also commented that the springs were rubbing on the shock bodies.

Post up any reviews here, good or bad, about your aftermarket springs. Also include how your KRX is set up. Mainly, have you added much weight to it? Big cargo box, spare tire, glass windshield, etc. Not looking to create arguments over who thinks they have the best springs, just looking for good, honest information that everyone can use.

I will leave this post in the General Discussion forum for a while, but it will eventually get moved to the Suspension and Body forum.

· Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went with the bandit stage 3 and I love them. The springs are a lot stiffer than oem with that being said I run my compression settings at full soft for the slow trail speed and it makes for a nice ride, I have noticed with the stiffer spring the ride only gets better the faster you go. And I have also installed shock therapy Springs on my uncle’s KRX and I will tell you the bandits are a much easier install then ST, the bandits are the same exactly length as the oem springs , ST springs are much longer. We had to crank the pre load down a lot more on the ST springs to sit the same height as my bandits. They are both great springs. Hope this helps.
That's great information.
How are your machines set up? Mainly, have you added much weight to it? Big cargo box, spare tire, glass windshield, etc. Guess I should include these questions in my main post. :)

· Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just go back from Shock Therapy and am very happy with the results. They do give you springs that are custom rates for the type of riding that you do and any gear that you carry. I left all my gear in the machine when they had it and they knew my weight so somebody could sit in it when they set the ride height. I also got there RIS system and IQS. I rode it today and the ride is great. I don't know how those 2 people that got springs from them knew the spring rate was the same as the springs aren't marked. There service is first rate. When you get an appointment you take it in at 7 and it will be done by 4. Mine was done at 2.
I have never seen a spring that wasn't marked with it's spring rate on it. Even OEM springs are marked. I'm not saying that yours are marked, just saying I've never seen one that wasn't.
Not always easy to find, but here are three of the different OEM KRX spring markings.

Rear lower

Rear upper

Front upper

Springs on my Elka shocks for my General

· Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Jeebus @BobX2, are those crossover rings even engaging before the soft spring bottoms out?
I really don't know. I think they were before my last preload adjustment, but don't know now. The riding I do, I want to use all of the lighter spring before engaging the heavy one.

· Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I went with the bandit stage 3 and I love them. The springs are a lot stiffer than oem with that being said I run my compression settings at full soft for the slow trail speed and it makes for a nice ride, I have noticed with the stiffer spring the ride only gets better the faster you go. And I have also installed shock therapy Springs on my uncle’s KRX and I will tell you the bandits are a much easier install then ST, the bandits are the same exactly length as the oem springs , ST springs are much longer. We had to crank the pre load down a lot more on the ST springs to sit the same height as my bandits. They are both great springs. Hope this helps.
Any updates to share with us? How does the ride compare to the OEM ride with some miles on them, and compression adjusted to full soft? What's your ride height? I ride slow, rocky trails and don't want to end up with a harsh ride. I'm also concerned that the stage 2 springs might be too soft and I wouldn't gain anything by installing them.

· Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
They are working great! The ride with compression turned all the way soft makes for a nice supple ride, I also mostly just ride slow rocky trails. They have not sagged at all in 400 miles. My ride height is 18 1/2in front to back but I’m also running 35in tires.
I really don't want to go that high with mine. Do you have any preload dialed in, or are you backed all the way off with your spring adjustments?

· Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
I did a half inch more preload in the front from bandits settings to match the back ride height .
Makes me wonder if the lighter stage 2 springs would keep it closer to 15-16 inch's, as well as a less harsh ride? If I go up another 3", I don't think it will fit through the garage door. :oops:

· Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I'm going to try something different, and go a different route. I'm going to put on a set of replacement tender springs from Right Coast Off-Road when they come in. Since it is the smaller upper spring (tender spring) that is giving up on these machines, it makes sense that replacing it with a high quality spring would be a good fix and a whole lot less expensive than replacing the entire set. No reason to replace the large lower springs that are still just fine. We'll see how it works out once I get them.

· Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Actually, Shock therapy had this very subject as part of one of their videos recently.
So I just watched that episode. Yes, I understand that Justin is the man when it comes to knowledge about springs and shocks but, he is also in the business of selling shocks and springs. A failing upper spring doesn't mean that the lower is going to fail as well. I'm willing to test an upper spring kit that costs 70% less than a ST full spring kit. The ride has never been the issue, it's the sagging uppers and loss of ground clearance that's the issue. The current ride quality loss is due to the sacked out upper springs, just as Justin explained, so a new higher quality upper should return and retain the original GC and ride quality, if not better as some claim. Will have to wait and see...

· Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Bob, not that I need them yet since mine is brand new but what is the cost on the upper springs?
I believe the price is going to be around $250 for the set of four. Still waiting for them to get a set out to me. Someone else is also selling the upper springs and I believe the price is the same. Can't remember off the top of my head who it is.

· Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
I just installed the Bandit medium springs and unhooked my front sway bar. I am really liking that setup so far View attachment 2147
Do you carry any extra weight in your KRX. Spare tire, storage box full of stuff, bumpers, ect.? It seems like everybody gets the stage 3 (heavy) Bandit springs, but my concern was that they would firm up the ride too much. On the other hand, my concern with the stage 2 (medium) springs would not carry the load that I described above. Curious what your load and thoughts are with the medium springs.

· Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
I just put in an order for these upper tender springs. 4 springs for $240. back-ordered till end of March. get back ride height and stiffer ride.

That's the ones I was thinking about.
Found this video. Concerns me a little with the length of the new front springs and whether or not you can adjust the front down to where it should be. The way this guys KRX is sitting, it is going to destroy the CV's running them at that much of an angle. He also says there wasn't a very noticeable difference in ride quality. AllThings claims a 60% better ride??? Obviously in the video he has a ton of adjustment for the rear springs to take out preload and lower the rear, but only an inch or so to work with on the fronts. Not sure why they doubled the length of the front upper spring. (from OEM 5" to the new 10")
I look forward to your report on these new springs. Hopefully the guy in the video is just a knucklehead. Kind of comes across that way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.