Kawasaki KRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we all will eventually be replacing our springs, these seem to currently be the top two choices. If there are others, feel free to mention them here too.

For the first time, I have read some bad reviews about the ST spring setup they are offering, and poor customer service from ST as well. This comes as a bit of a surprise since I had basically heard nothing but good about them in the past.
I have also been reading good reviews about Bandit springs, other than they are always out of stock. That has always been an issue with them, and can't be blamed on the pandemic BS.

Shock Therapy supposedly uses spring weights customized for you based on information you provide them.
Bandit offers two "generic" spring packages, "Medium" and "Heavy".

This is where things get tricky, as springs are expensive and a PITA to swap out. I'm sure all the choices are better than the OEM springs that all sag out, but which ones are the best fit for your machine?

Is a "medium" weight spring going to adequately support your machine for those times when you load it up, or carry a spare tire?
Is a "heavy" spring going to provide to harsh of a ride for your typical average machine weight that you occasionally add an additional 75 lbs. in it?

I recently read where two friends ordered from ST. They both provided completely different needs and weights to ST, yet both received identical spring weights. They also commented that the springs were rubbing on the shock bodies.

Post up any reviews here, good or bad, about your aftermarket springs. Also include how your KRX is set up. Mainly, have you added much weight to it? Big cargo box, spare tire, glass windshield, etc. Not looking to create arguments over who thinks they have the best springs, just looking for good, honest information that everyone can use.

I will leave this post in the General Discussion forum for a while, but it will eventually get moved to the Suspension and Body forum.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I went with the bandit stage 3 and I love them. The springs are a lot stiffer than oem with that being said I run my compression settings at full soft for the slow trail speed and it makes for a nice ride, I have noticed with the stiffer spring the ride only gets better the faster you go. And I have also installed shock therapy Springs on my uncle’s KRX and I will tell you the bandits are a much easier install then ST, the bandits are the same exactly length as the oem springs , ST springs are much longer. We had to crank the pre load down a lot more on the ST springs to sit the same height as my bandits. They are both great springs. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went with the bandit stage 3 and I love them. The springs are a lot stiffer than oem with that being said I run my compression settings at full soft for the slow trail speed and it makes for a nice ride, I have noticed with the stiffer spring the ride only gets better the faster you go. And I have also installed shock therapy Springs on my uncle’s KRX and I will tell you the bandits are a much easier install then ST, the bandits are the same exactly length as the oem springs , ST springs are much longer. We had to crank the pre load down a lot more on the ST springs to sit the same height as my bandits. They are both great springs. Hope this helps.
That's great information.
How are your machines set up? Mainly, have you added much weight to it? Big cargo box, spare tire, glass windshield, etc. Guess I should include these questions in my main post. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have added a few pounds to mine. I have metal roof, back plastic window , full glass windshield and winch, full front bumper and I do carry a cooler in the back with a few tools. My uncles machine with ST has After market cage and front glass as well and winch and that’s it.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
712 Posts
For the first time, I have read some bad reviews about the ST spring setup they are offering, and poor customer service from ST as well.
I can tell you first hand that their customer service is lacking lately. I called them out on a bad move they did for Black Friday, and it took them a week to respond.
Shock Therapy supposedly uses spring weights customized for you based on information you provide them.
Correct. Based on the information you give them, they build the set to your needs. I’m not a fan of “one size fits most” the others offer.

This is where things get tricky, as springs are expensive and a PITA to swap out.
They really are quite easy if you have the right tools. I picked up a spring compressor off eBay to do my swap out and future adjustments, for the $115 bucks it cost, well worth it. You can view it HERE We pulled my buddies shocks off his car, and had everything disassembled and put back on the car in an hour
Is a "medium" weight spring going to adequately support your machine for those times when you load it up, or carry a spare tire?
Here’s where you have to decide what you are going to carry for weight 90% of the time, and order up the right springs. For the 10% your not, just dial down the shocks.

My springs are set to arrive today from ST. When I ordered them, I listed everything on my machine plus any possible additions I might add in the future. I will do a review of them when I install them. (Won’t be for a little while, as I want to get the front end work done by the dealer first)

·
Registered
318 Posts
I went with the ST springs and added their "Bling Bling" aluminum cross over adjuster.. after a coupler of hundred miles here is my take.. First of all, I can't complain on the customer service thought they great job and the product arrived as on time as described.. second, the suggested initial preload setting was not even close, the bling ring adjuster was not milled correct so once on and tight you could still spin it on the shock.. required me to take a file and open up the end gap to crush enough to lock down.. the set screws are small and a real PITA to adjust once on the shock and near impossible once on the vehicle.. the Oring really didn't stop any contact knock noise maybe just changed the tone some.. I regret adding the ST cross over rings and should I ever have the springs off again they will go away..
as for the springs.. After some cranking down on the settings more than I expected to even get close to the OEM ride height. On the the first ride out felt over sprung and reset my shocks to second to softest setting helped.. but over all the springs eliminating the bottom out and carried the weight and smoothed things out with considerable improvement over the stock..
To conclude.. couple of hundred miles later the springs have sagged more that expected.. but I think the ride has actually improved..
So as for the different spring options out there.. like Eibach PRO-UTV - Stage 3 Performance Spring System (Set of 8 Springs) By: Eibach and others that don't offer a advertised a to the pound custom spring rate.. I really have my doubts that the Spring rates on ST's are really that fine tuned IMHO... the other spring choices may even be made of a better material that don't sag out as much.. Who knows?

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
712 Posts
To conclude.. couple of hundred miles later the springs have sagged more that expected..
Did you adjust your ride height again? In the video from ST on how to install on the KRX, he (Justin) says that you will need to adjust them only 1 time after a couple hundred mile break in period.
I too skipped the over priced crossover rings, I can’t see $200 bucks for 4 aluminum rings with set screws.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Did you adjust your ride height again? In the video from ST on how to install on the KRX, he (Justin) says that you will need to adjust them only 1 time after a couple hundred mile break in period.
I too skipped the over priced crossover rings, I can’t see $200 bucks for 4 aluminum rings with set screws.
the second re adjustment is on my to-do list to prep for next ride.. the fronts seem to need more attention than the rear for some reason but.. again much improved over stock..

·
Registered
93 Posts
following........
I just go back from Shock Therapy and am very happy with the results. They do give you springs that are custom rates for the type of riding that you do and any gear that you carry. I left all my gear in the machine when they had it and they knew my weight so somebody could sit in it when they set the ride height. I also got there RIS system and IQS. I rode it today and the ride is great. I don't know how those 2 people that got springs from them knew the spring rate was the same as the springs aren't marked. There service is first rate. When you get an appointment you take it in at 7 and it will be done by 4. Mine was done at 2.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
712 Posts
@Joe Make sure to keep us updated on the whole system. I’m interested in getting feedback from folks that had the RIS & IQS done to their buggy. 👍🏻

·
Registered
93 Posts
@Joe Make sure to keep us updated on the whole system. I’m interested in getting feedback from folks that had the RIS & IQS done to their buggy. 👍🏻
I will. The ride today was short but Sunday I'm doing a 60 mile ride on varied terrain. My friend had the same thing done to his at really likes it. Sine we live 140 mile from ST we took our machines there for the service. The ride height was set perfect.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Never heard of Bandit but based on my own experience, I would go with ST for the fact they really know their stuff and the benefits of running taller/longer springs.

I bet ST gets many times more customers than Bandit so there will be greater room for human error. As for customer service, I believe it's better to call the shop and deal with them first before airing it out on the internet. Give them a chance to correct the issues and understand that sh*t happens. You also have to be leery of shills these days too.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just go back from Shock Therapy and am very happy with the results. They do give you springs that are custom rates for the type of riding that you do and any gear that you carry. I left all my gear in the machine when they had it and they knew my weight so somebody could sit in it when they set the ride height. I also got there RIS system and IQS. I rode it today and the ride is great. I don't know how those 2 people that got springs from them knew the spring rate was the same as the springs aren't marked. There service is first rate. When you get an appointment you take it in at 7 and it will be done by 4. Mine was done at 2.
I have never seen a spring that wasn't marked with it's spring rate on it. Even OEM springs are marked. I'm not saying that yours are marked, just saying I've never seen one that wasn't.
Not always easy to find, but here are three of the different OEM KRX spring markings.

Rear lower

Rear upper

Front upper

Springs on my Elka shocks for my General

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
712 Posts
First thing I noticed is the fronts are much heavier then the rears. I would have thought it would be the other way around. Must be due to the shorter shock on the front. 🤔

·
Registered
125 Posts
First thing I noticed is the fronts are much heavier then the rears. I would have thought it would be the other way around. Must be due to the shorter shock on the front. 🤔
Just wait until you install the rear Springs, you will be very surprised at the amount of pressure or lack of when spring is seated lol.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts