Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a lightweight headset that will fit/use the Rugged Radio 1/4" (6.35mm) Nexus jack? I'd love something that utilized earbuds so that they will block out the engine sound as much as possible. My regular headsets get too hot during the summer here and we'd like to try something lightweight. I've tried several different adapters to convert the Nexus jack to a 3.5mm but none of them work. The Nexus is a three-ring connector but even a standard 1/4" three-ring adapter I tried didn't work so I am presuming the Rugged Nexus is proprietary.

Soooo...I ordered the Rugged lightweight H10's seen below because they have a Nexus jack and are advertised as being able to use any 3.5mm earbuds. Unfortunately they don't. Rugged even has their OWN earbuds that they advertise on their website for use with the H10's but they don't work either. You can see in the pics of the yellow earbuds below, those are the Rugged brand that they advertise for use with the H10. The earbuds have a 3.5mm jack that is supposed to plug into the back of the H10's. But H10's don't even have a jack for earbuds to plug into to. You can see in the third picture (all stolen from the Rugged website) how Rugged shows they attach, but they don't. There is no 3.5mm receptacle on the H10's. The stock on-ear speakers are hard wired in. I'm holding 2 sets of H10's right now and neither of them have a place to plug in earbuds. Very frustrating.

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes Craig, that is it exactly. I'd like to be able to find an aftermarket headset that is lightweight with a Nexus jack (male) that fits the blue female end of your pic. I've tried a bunch of adapters to bring it down to a 3.5mm jack as there are a ton of headsets with 3.5. Unfortunately none of the adapters I found would work. My ultimate find would be something lightweight that uses earbuds (or another way to suppress outside engine noise) and comes with a jack that will fit the one in your pic....and work! :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes! That may be exactly what I need. Damn, how did you find it? I've spent hours hunting through their website for that, including the cables section. Not sure how I managed to miss that. The only thing that makes me a tiny bit hesitant is that it says "This makes it convenient for listen-only applications, passengers, and some racing environments". So I'm not 100% sure if it will work with voice also but I am thinking it will because the Nexus plug end of it has the three rings. But either way I'll find out.

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
lol. rugged. there are SO many super less expensive options out there that are 100 percent reliable and easy to use. rugged is the same as all the other chicom shit, just rebadged, so you feel good about spending so much more. research.

·
Registered
106 Posts
lol. rugged. there are SO many super less expensive options out there that are 100 percent reliable and easy to use. rugged is the same as all the other chicom shit, just rebadged, so you feel good about spending so much more. research.
they are, but they aren't all at the same time. their stuff does all interconnect very well and integrates well..... BUT for the most part its very proprietary. i could tell on the Rugged stuff i bought that it was built to their specs by someone else then they modified it with their own interconnect connectors and such. i will say the Rugged GMRS radio i bought was super easy to use compared to the Midland ones i have in my other rigs..... and they seem to be the only game in town when it comes to in-car intercoms that are... well rugged and waterproof. i searched for other brands to use, but in the end they just didn't "do it all" and none seemed to be build for offroad abuse.... so for the additional expense you get a does all system that works well which in the end the extra cost was pretty much a wash when i priced it all out.... maybe $200-$300 more... but it works great and is super easy and intuitive to use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts