Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Blue KRX 1000
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for ideas to mount roto-pax fuel containers to each side of the roll bar. Photos with what hardware would be awesome!

·
Registered
334 Posts
this is the mount that I found works great on each side of the cage using a rotopax 1.75gal just fits and clears the rear window.. little pricey but they go on and stay solid.. I will have to take a picture of the can on for you if interested..

·
Registered
2021 Blue KRX 1000
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this is the mount that I found works great on each side of the cage using a rotopax 1.75gal just fits and clears the rear window.. little pricey but they go on and stay solid.. I will have to take a picture of the can on for you if interested..
Awesome! That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Awesome! That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!
if you go with those mounts put some stainless thread tape on the screws or you will never get it back off.. also may have to rotate them 180 to get the holes to line up at the right angle just below the roof line..

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,458 Posts
Rolling fireballs...🤦‍♂️
I know a lot of folks think this same way. However, there are times when a person may need to bring extra fuel along, and you need a good means to secure it. Even more important, a good container that doesn't leak. I have years of experience using Rotopax gas cans, and I would never hesitate to carry gas in mine anywhere, anytime. Personally, I would never mount one on the outside of the ROPS because I think crushing a Rotopax is the only way it would ever leak, but we all make our own decisions.
With 100+ mile range with the KRX I rarely carry mine, but I have a couple of times with absolutely no concerns.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I carry a 3 gallon rotopax. I'm anti rops mounting because I've seen one that got crushed in a pretty easy roll over. It sprayed a fine mist of fuel everywhere. Only by the grace of god did it not create a fireball. Driver was soaked. I mounted mine on the airbox lid right behind the drivers seat. That way I get crushed first and then I probably won't care if she becomes my pyre!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Rotopax are great. Use them myself but they are not going to hold up in a rollover. There are SMARTER places to mount them than the OUTSIDE of a roll cage. KRX is not short on internal storage.

·
Registered
2021 KRX Blue
474 Posts
I’m concerned about fuel mileage. I’m at 120 miles and topped it off twice. It shows one bar on the gauge and 5 gallons fills it up. So that means ten gallons for 120 miles right? A ten gallon tank should last 120 miles. The gauge shows one bar when it should show a half tank. Is this normal?

I have the fuel vent mod thing but haven’t installed it yet. But cracking the gas cap open is the same thing and I’ve done that.

Anyway I’m apparently going to have to transport fuel in my KRX. I have a 2 gallon Rotopax from the X2 I’ll mount.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I’m concerned about fuel mileage. I’m at 120 miles and topped it off twice. It shows one bar on the gauge and 5 gallons fills it up. So that means ten gallons for 120 miles right? A ten gallon tank should last 120 miles. The gauge shows one bar when it should show a half tank. Is this normal?

I have the fuel vent mod thing but haven’t installed it yet. But cracking the gas cap open is the same thing and I’ve done that.

Anyway I’m apparently going to have to transport fuel in my KRX. I have a 2 gallon Rotopax from the X2 I’ll mount.
You’re good for 100 miles pretty easy. Mine is tuned with 35’s and I can do better than 100 miles running pretty hard. Just use your trip meter. Yes, the gas gauge sucks and the vent WILL NOT fix that. BUT.. I dare say unless you’re doing overlanding like we do. OR you just feel froggy and can really out down some miles in your area. You’ll most likely not break 100 miles in a day.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,458 Posts

Start each ride with a full tank and track your miles each ride, and how much gas it takes to top it off each time. That way you can figure out how far you can go on a tank full of gas and then you can forget about the useless gas gauge. If I'm going to be riding 100 miles or less, I fill up and forget about it. If I think I might be going over 100 miles, I will throw in my Rotopax. I start every day/ride with a full tank. A 100+ mile ride here in Colorado is pretty much unheard of, so carrying gas practically never happens.
The new roll over valve does a great job of keeping the fuel tank from building pressure, but it does nothing for the inaccurate fuel gauge. (and how would it??? ;))

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,458 Posts
Thanks..
Yup.. lots of good pics in Moab this year. That was right at sunset at chicken corners.
That's one ride I have not done in Moab.

·
Registered
488 Posts
That's one ride I have not done in Moab.
It’s pretty.. and you can run some good speed that makes it a whole lot more fun in the KRX. I want to say it’s a 50-60 mile round trip. It was around a 70 mile from where we stayed. So figure on about 2-3 hours if you want to make it fun. Longer if you hit traffic or don’t like to clip along at a pretty good pace.
This is exactly why we take fuel and camping gear when we ride and particularly in Moab. It offers you a lot better access to more riding without trailering. 100 miles in a day isn’t a stretch by any means with these machines. Even in the rough stuff you can still maintain some pretty good speed over basket ball sized rocks as compared to most other machines out there. That’s one of the most striking things about it for me.. you can easily mix technical and high speed stuff together for a truly awesome day of riding.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,458 Posts
It’s pretty.. and you can run some good speed that makes it a whole lot more fun in the KRX. I want to say it’s a 50-60 mile round trip. It was around a 70 mile from where we stayed. So figure on about 2-3 hours if you want to make it fun. Longer if you hit traffic or don’t like to clip along at a pretty good pace.
Maybe someday. I just can't peel myself away from the slick rock trails. lol

Apologies to the OP for hijacking. We'll get this thread back on topic. :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
Maybe someday. I just can't peel myself away from the slick rock trails. lol

Apologies to the OP for hijacking. We'll get this thread back on topic. :)
I edited to tie it back together... but that’s what I love about it. We do and prefer the slick rock but this year was my first trip with the KRX and the ability to really run hard and cover ground between the technical stuff opened up a whole new box of fun I hadn’t experienced in years past.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts