Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, the ride alone was great. It is smoother than my pickup I tell you I was impressed. Second ride with 250 lb passenger. Noticed right away ride was much harsher. So, I stopped and turned all shock knobs 4 clicks CW or stiffer. Seemed a little better. Well next ride alone, I turned knobs back 4 clicks CCW back to original. The ride was just as harsh as when I had a passenger. So, I turn knobs four more clicks CCW or softer and that is eight clicks softer than the original setting from new and seemed a little smoother but not as soft as the first ride. What gives? You mean to tell me the top spring is already crushed in and hitting mainspring after 5 miles of gentle desert riding? I need this thing to ride soft like the first ride or I'm already done with it as my back is not the best. I guess I need to change the top spring on all four right? Who has the smoothest top springs that will last w/o bending so soon. I thought I saw shock-therapy had a lifetime warranty on theirs. I also saw they suggest securing the car only on the tires. I guess they don't want straps pulling down on the springs during transport and that makes sense. Any suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
or a honda and Yamaha!! Yes, I know this car is the best riding. I'm just trying to tweak it to the best possible. Thanks yall for your help. I'll try Rocky's setup.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just need to start playing with it. You will get it figured out after some more riding 👍🏼👍🏼

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't pay attention to the weather. The colder it is, the thicker the oil in the shock, so stiffer right? I think the first ride was about 68 and the second was about 65.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Do the ST springs.. also, your tire pressure has a lot to do with your ride. A set of 35’s at 6-10psi will soften the initial hit and the suspension will do the rest. It’s all about figuring out what you like and what works. Everyone’s machine will be a little different based on weight and how you ride.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've been running the adjusters at full soft front and rear since I installed the Bandit springs. Seems to be good for the riding I do. With stock springs I was 4 clicks off soft after they started to sag out. like JTW said, lower tire pressure makes a big difference for smaller bumps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
First, the ride alone was great. It is smoother than my pickup I tell you I was impressed. Second ride with 250 lb passenger. Noticed right away ride was much harsher. So, I stopped and turned all shock knobs 4 clicks CW or stiffer. Seemed a little better. Well next ride alone, I turned knobs back 4 clicks CCW back to original. The ride was just as harsh as when I had a passenger. So, I turn knobs four more clicks CCW or softer and that is eight clicks softer than the original setting from new and seemed a little smoother but not as soft as the first ride. What gives? You mean to tell me the top spring is already crushed in and hitting mainspring after 5 miles of gentle desert riding? I need this thing to ride soft like the first ride or I'm already done with it as my back is not the best. I guess I need to change the top spring on all four right? Who has the smoothest top springs that will last w/o bending so soon. I thought I saw shock-therapy had a lifetime warranty on theirs. I also saw they suggest securing the car only on the tires. I guess they don't want straps pulling down on the springs during transport and that makes sense. Any suggestions. Thanks
I went all the ways soft then worked up from there seems to work , though i'm getting new springs real soon.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,132 Posts
Softer ride = lower tire pressure. I love the suspension stock with tires at stock psi. It’s really soft and plush.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Right coast off road is working on coming out with a new top spring to make up for the weak factory setup. He had bandit springs on top and bottom, now he’s trying his own rated upper spring, with the factory lower spring. The factory springs sag, and you lose ground clearance too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just throw a little more pre-load into it and adjust secondary spring stop up a half inch and you’re good to go.
I run 35s at 10 psi, front shocks three clicks from the softest and rear seven clicks from the softest

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just throw a little more pre-load into it and adjust secondary spring stop up a half inch and you’re good to go.
I couldn't get anywhere close by adjusting the preload on factory springs. If I adjusted the preload for the ride height, there would be no more thread for the crossover rings. Bandit springs fixed the problems nicely.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Before your "Done with it" Get some springs that are customized to you and passengers weight, will make a big difference with your ride.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just bite the bullet and get Shock Therapy springs.
Bandaid and make do fixes are a waste of money.
A good friend of mine taught me decades ago,
"Its now how much it is, its how much more it is."
Its usually not much more...

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,237 Posts
I run 35s at 10 psi, front shocks three clicks from the softest and rear seven clicks from the softest
That only works the first couple of times. Now there is pretty much no adjustment left on mine, and pretty much no more function from my top springs. Almost looks like a Polaris setup now... :( I have adjusted my crossover rings all the way up to get everything that's left out of the springs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The top springs do nothing but keep a bit of tension on the bottom springs during full shock extension.
Having 2 springs does not make it a dual rate shock.
You would need a crossover ring to have a dual rate setup.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts