Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Blue
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I twisted off one of the clutch cover (the big plastic one with 12 bolts) bolts because I misunderstood what certain things are called on the torque table. My bad, but you know it had to be the one behind the shock. In order to get the drill in there, I'll have to get the shock out of the way. Figured I'd remove the lower bolt, loosen the top bolt and move it up out of the way. The service manual it look soooo easy, right?
Lifted the machine, both tires off the ground, jack stands on the frame, tire off, lower nut off, top bolt still tight. Seems to still be some tension on the shock as the lower bolt will not come out. Your advice on how to proceed safely is appreciated.

Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
147 Posts
With the rear jacked up and the nuts on the shock bolts removed there will still be pressure on the bolts. Use either another floor jack or a block of wood and a pry bar and jack or pry under the tire to relieve pressure on the the bolts so you can remove them. Its alot easier if you have some help but it can be done by yourself. You'll need to do the same thing to get the bolt back in when you put the shock back on.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have done essentially the same procedure so many times for shock adjustments I've lost count . I don't bother to take the tire off though. If the suspension is relaxed (fully extended) the weight of the suspension trailing arm being held up by the shock bolts will put some tension on the assembly. With the tire on (and raised about 1" over the floor) I simply use a prybar to exert a slight upward pressure and the bolt should slide out. A tap with a rubber mallet might be required.

For tire off I use two jacks n a manner shown in the picture. Yes, I should have jack stand under the frame but I wasn't under the machine. Hope this helps. Be safe!

·
Registered
2021 Blue
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Easy peasy. It did take me a while to figure out the jack geometry but job is done and I still have all my fingers. Thanks for your insight and advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.