Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spent a day yesterday driving my car in a desert location that I have taking my car to for the past month. I have been monitoring the fine dust after each trip that shows up in my air intake tract. I was getting some fine dust through the stock air filter element and by the radial seal on the stock filter. I started greasing the radial seal area of the stock air filter and after dusty rides through the desert I discovered that the stock air filter was still letting fine dust through the element so I bought a R2C Air Filter and I greased the radial seal and installed the filter. I just removed the R2C Air filter to check to see if it did a better job of keeping the intake tract clean and I still have fine dust in my intake tube that leads from the air filter to the air intake chamber. I have cleaned the air intake tube and chamber every time that I have cleaned my machine after use. I am going to look into a particulate separator because of this problem. I am just giving my honest review and keeping it real.

·
Registered
2021 KRX1000 BLUE
176 Posts
If you ride in groups through the desert an EAPS (Engine Air Particle Seperator is what they are called) is a no brainer but if you are a loner and have nobody to ride with like me then your not going to see to much of a difference since you are not driving through dust clouds. Regardless I will be getting one of the KWT or S&B EAPS for extra peace of mind.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
If you ride in groups through the desert an EAPS (Engine Air Particle Seperator is what they are called) is a no brainer but if you are a loner and have nobody to ride with like me then your not going to see to much of a difference since you are not driving through dust clouds. Regardless I will be getting one of the KWT or S&B EAPS for extra peace of mind.
I don't ride with anyone. Where I ride it is extremely dusty. I have spent most of my mechanical career rebuilding engines of many types and configurations and I have seen first hand the destruction to a engine that occurs when dirt and or dust has been ingested in a engine. It is real simple to tell if your engine is taking on dust. Remove the drivers side seat. Then remove the air filter and take a flashlight and look into the air inlet tube going to the air chamber. Take a white tissue or cloth and wipe the inside of the tube and see if there is dust on the rag or tissue. My filters were not plugged and both the stock one and the R2C filter are letting dust past them into the intake tract.

·
Registered
Las Vegas, NV
284 Posts
I don't ride with anyone. Where I ride it is extremely dusty. I have spent most of my mechanical career rebuilding engines of many types and configurations and I have seen first hand the destruction to a engine that occurs when dirt and or dust has been ingested in a engine. It is real simple to tell if your engine is taking on dust. Remove the drivers side seat. Then remove the air filter and take a flashlight and look into the air inlet tube going to the air chamber. Take a white tissue or cloth and wipe the inside of the tube and see if there is dust on the rag or tissue. My filters were not plugged and both the stock one and the R2C filter are letting dust past them into the intake tract.
I found the same problem, dust getting past the filter when riding by myself. I think with the rear window, roof creates a lot of vortex, backdraft and tons of dust gets sucked into the intake. I now have the KWT sperator, but still need to keep an eye on the filter.

Reactions: Paul65 and 1655

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found the same problem, dust getting past the filter when riding by myself. I think with the rear window, roof creates a lot of vortex, backdraft and tons of dust gets sucked into the intake. I now have the KWT sperator, but still need to keep an eye on the filter.
Good to know. I too have a rear window and I am debating removing it or cutting a opening in it to draw air from inside the cab.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I cant bring myself to run any glass in the cab because of the airflow issues and heat.
In my state in order to street legalize a UTV it must have either a front windshield or wear eye protection. I use both. My car is street legal. I do not need the rear window to be compliant to the state law. Windshields do suck in some ways indeed. My Granddaughter rides with me 98% of the time and she likes the windshield so that is why I have one.

·
Registered
2021 KRX1000 BLUE
176 Posts
I know im in the minority here but i wear a full face helmet at all times beacause the wind around my ears and the watery eyes is bad for me. Everyone in my neighborhood is running full glass and use their machine as family vehicles so i totally get the glass need.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know im in the minority here but i wear a full face helmet at all times beacause the wind around my ears and the watery eyes is bad for me. Everyone in my neighborhood is running full glass and use their machine as family vehicles so i totally get the glass need.
If I ride by myself and I am going to do some hauling arse I wear my full face Shoei race helmet also. Really should be wearing helmets all the time.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, I received the S&B unit and upon my inspection of all of the components I find them to be top quality and very robust built. The insides of all of the internal passages are molded to a high luster finish to promote air flow. This is not a cheaply built unit by any means but we will see how it does. The air passages are oversized compared to the stock air inlet I.D. so I am not worried about any intake restriction.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So does this do away with the stock filter or just add more baffling before the filter?
This device develops cyclonic separation of dust particles by creating a vortex in each one of the 21 vortex generators which spins the incoming air at a high velocity therefor most of the dust that is in the air spins outward by gravitational force separating the dust particles from the air that leads to the air filter. Heavy earth moving equipment that are subject to large amounts of dust have devices like this in order to keep the air filters clean as long as possible.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts