Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the ratio of spring adjustment to ride height is?(Example... 1” of locking ring movement = 1” of ground clearance.)

I need to adjust my springs to bring the ride height back up, do to the springs settling, and accessories added.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Does anyone know what the ratio of spring adjustment to ride height is?(Example... 1” of locking ring movement = 1” of ground clearance.)

I need to adjust my springs to bring the ride height back up, do to the springs settling, and accessories added.
I believe 1 for 1 in the rear and 1 for 2 in the front.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty sure that is correct. Shock Therapy has a set up tutorial that goes into detail on the subject.
I saw that video before, but I believe that it pertains to the ST springs. (I could be wrong)

·
Registered
544 Posts
I imagine the ST suggestions are rules of thumb based on geometry. Machine weight, weight distribution front and rear, spring rate (ST supposedly uses different rates based on your input) all would seem to effect the ratio. The more I research this subject, the less I seem to know. Following with the hope that someone real versed on the subject will chime in.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
(ST supposedly uses different rates based on your input) all would seem to effect the ratio.
I was under the impression that all that information (drivers/passenger weight, accessories, etc) was so they assemble the right spring kit when you purchase.

The more I research this subject, the less I seem to know.
You and me both. I’m going to start by bringing my height back up to what it was when it was empty, and without all the accessories. Once I have that setting, then I’ll play around with ride height when I’m in the car.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I was under the impression that all that information (drivers/passenger weight, accessories, etc) was so they assemble the right spring kit when you purchase.
Exactly. ST through some unexplained voodoo (actually a rough center of gravity and weight per axle calculation) picks what they figure to be the optimal primary and seondary spring rates for front and rear. IIRC, the cars they do in house have the wheel weights actually weighed with a driver/passenger simulation weight placed in the cab. I would assume that a spring set up for a heavier gross weight car would compress less and give more ground clearance per adjustment turn than one for a lighter car?

Gotta get the electronics done before I delve into this too much.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Also pretty sure that Right Coast Off-road mention the same ratios on their video on how to adjust the stock springs. I remember adjusting the stock ones and I thought it was pretty close in the front but I needed a little more in the back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
To make it easier for some of you, try not to worry so much about the science. Just do the mechanics of it. Turn the spring collars downwards till you get to the ride height desired! jack up the car, turn the collars are few turns, and get in the car. Do it till your at a hieght that makes you happy!. Front should sit a bit taller than the rear, this will put more leverage on the rear for improving traction and control.

run the front crossovers all the way up to the collars so to soften the ride a bit with the stock springs. If your car is loaded, you don’t have a lot of threads in the front with the shorter top springs, but should be enough. You can also add nitrogen pressure that will raise the ride height also. It will firm up the ride some, so you can back the dial out a bit. It will firm the sway characteristics also as the shocks only have about 100 to 110 psi stock. The stock Foxes have a bit ridiculously firm valving, There is so so much room to make the KX ride smoother!

my Kx set ups are getting out and about!! Find one and get a ride!

have fun! Moto!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts