Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all you KRX owners who are craving 160+ HP out of your KRX.
Why did you buy the 112 HP KRX? Polaris and Canam have many offerings nearing the 200 HP number right from the factory. Just curious why you would buy a 112 HP machine and then constantly complain about it's lack of power.
This is an honest question, not just being an @$$hole. What was behind the decision to buy this machine, knowing you weren't going to be happy with the power and no way to get the power out of it like the other machines already offer right out of the box?
Inquiring minds want to know...

·
Registered
132 Posts
People don't do their research, they assume it's like everything else. The HP numbers are on par with other normally aspirated machines. The difference is that the KRX is about 400 to 450 lbs heavier before you start bolting on accessories and lower geared. For the type of riding I do, i knew it would be fine. Trail riding and some rock crawling. We rarely ever get to 45 mph on any section of "main" road. I do wish they had geared these a little higher, lower rpm would be nice although it has no trouble with the 35" xtr 370's on it now and they are HEAVY.
At some point I might look into a turbo or supercharger if I have alot of cash burning a hole in my pocket and depending on the reliability of these after they've been out awhile.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's geared low already, and yet still runs out of power climbing hills. Should be able to climb a hill faster than 30-35mph, the machine makes a whole lotta noise but doesn't go anywhere. The base turbos from the other manufacturers can spin the tires fully loaded climbing the hill. They're a ECU tune away from 230hp. Kawi made too big of a machine for the weight once you start adding accessories and passenger. It's a great design let down by a sore lack of power. The suspension and durability are main purchasing reasons. But, kawi should have known better to bring a machine on the market with less than 150hp. There must be a regulation the requires less than 1000cc. If any of you have seen the Airel atom and their other models, they offer a Honda K Series 2.4 with and without the supercharger. They also offer Honda's 2.0 Turbo out of the Type R with 300hp. Why nobody has a SxS with a similar setup is beyond me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It's geared low already, and yet still runs out of power climbing hills. Should be able to climb a hill faster than 30-35mph, the machine makes a whole lotta noise but doesn't go anywhere. The base turbos from the other manufacturers can spin the tires fully loaded climbing the hill. They're a ECU tune away from 230hp. Kawi made too big of a machine for the weight once you start adding accessories and passenger. It's a great design let down by a sore lack of power. The suspension and durability are main purchasing reasons. But, kawi should have known better to bring a machine on the market with less than 150hp. There must be a regulation the requires less than 1000cc. If any of you have seen the Airel atom and their other models, they offer a Honda K Series 2.4 with and without the supercharger. They also offer Honda's 2.0 Turbo out of the Type R with 300hp. Why nobody has a SxS with a similar setup is beyond me.
the 1000cc thing is some sort of regulatory thing..... or they'd have to call it a car and put even more emission controls and regulations on it, plenty of information out there if you search "why are utv's limited to 1000cc"......... i would have like to have seen Kawi's 1000cc supercharged motorcycle engine being adapted, but it might not make the correct powerband for a SXS.... the supercharged H2 makes 300 horsepower at 14,000 rpm and 109 lb/ft of torque at 12,500 rpm while the KRX makes just shy of 80 ft/lbs at 7000 and we know the horsepower of 115 but at what rpm, but the lower rpm band is way more useable in a SXS. plus the supercharged H2 is $25K for something with a whole lot less parts, so i wonder how much of the engine choice was driven by cost to produce. plus if you've ever driven a bike like the H2 or other high hp race style bike, they're fun in short durations but if you have to rev the piss out of it every time and all you wanted is a little more throttle it's harder to control, you come to a rock on a trail that you just want to 'bump over' it gets old. my buddy has a Can-am X3 and there is stuff that my powerband allowed me to get over pretty easy whereas his turbo kept kicking in at the wrong time and wheel spin city. i like going fast on the forest roads, i just don't want to become part of the scenery.
that being said, a programmer and different exhaust has helped my KRX out quite a bit. still go plenty fast plenty quick to do some damage, in the dunes or in a drag race is about the only places where i think more power is really needed for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
the 1000cc thing is some sort of regulatory thing..... or they'd have to call it a car and put even more emission controls and regulations on it, plenty of information out there if you search "why are utv's limited to 1000cc"......... i would have like to have seen Kawi's 1000cc supercharged motorcycle engine being adapted, but it might not make the correct powerband for a SXS.... the supercharged H2 makes 300 horsepower at 14,000 rpm and 109 lb/ft of torque at 12,500 rpm while the KRX makes just shy of 80 ft/lbs at 7000 and we know the horsepower of 115 but at what rpm, but the lower rpm band is way more useable in a SXS. plus the supercharged H2 is $25K for something with a whole lot less parts, so i wonder how much of the engine choice was driven by cost to produce. plus if you've ever driven a bike like the H2 or other high hp race style bike, they're fun in short durations but if you have to rev the piss out of it every time and all you wanted is a little more throttle it's harder to control, you come to a rock on a trail that you just want to 'bump over' it gets old. my buddy has a Can-am X3 and there is stuff that my powerband allowed me to get over pretty easy whereas his turbo kept kicking in at the wrong time and wheel spin city. i like going fast on the forest roads, i just don't want to become part of the scenery.
that being said, a programmer and different exhaust has helped my KRX out quite a bit. still go plenty fast plenty quick to do some damage, in the dunes or in a drag race is about the only places where i think more power is really needed for me.
I wonder what Mahindra did to get the Roxor classified as a UTV, it has a 2.5L turbo diesel with a 5 speed manual or a 6 speed gm automatic. It would be nice if Polaris offered something like GM does, where they sell the car as a rolling chassis without a VIN and engine like in GMs COPO camaro program. Then they could just be "hint hint, this is the motor that fits in here" then you could register it as a specially constructed vehicle and be street legal.

·
Registered
249 Posts
There are hills here in Pa that at the bottom I can hit them at 40mph and at the top down to 29mph with tune. When your wife looks over and says "is that all it got?". "Maybe we need to look into a Can am?" What can I say? There's no "extra" when you're in a "stand on it situation". My seld is 500lbs and 160hp. This is now a "Car" 3k+lbs. Brakes are too small for any more power.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Green KRX
1,382 Posts
For me it’s simple. I didn’t fit in the other machines. Not comfortably anyway. New can ams are larger and seats are way better though. The only machine I didn’t try out was the arctic cat wildcat.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I feel the vast majority want more power, like they want more shock travel, ground clearance, etc. Thats why manufactures revamp their models every year and compete with each other. Those amenities in a machine sell units. Even on a trail ride it’s hard not be be competitive with friends. Either in a friendly drag race, how far you can jump, or the hills / obstacles you take on. So it’s just another facet for us to compete with our friends. No guy enjoys losing to his buddies or not being able to keep up with where they go or how fast they get there. I purchased a krx knowing I would want more engine power, but also knowing it would be last on my list of actual needs due to the terrain I ride. 35s were one of the best needed upgrades for where I ride to push the envelope for myself. Does having 35s cause a lack of power. It does take the zip out of it. But it causes me to think more about how I tackle obstacles, hills, creeks, etc if it comes to a situation where I know I will have to power over something as I know it’s not as on tap for me as everyone else due to having a different machine. Just like I had to think when I lacked tire size in more technical situations.

If my primary riding spots was Baja, or the dunes, I wouldn’t own a krx. I would own a x3. This being said. Where I live and ride, I don’t need 200hp, I couldn’t use it for where I ride. I could use another 20hp to give it what it needs with 35s. For the tight, technical trails of KY, WV, and TN. But till I get it, I’ll continue to actually drive the krx, instead of just mashing the skinny pedal.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I wonder what Mahindra did to get the Roxor classified as a UTV, it has a 2.5L turbo diesel with a 5 speed manual or a 6 speed gm automatic. It would be nice if Polaris offered something like GM does, where they sell the car as a rolling chassis without a VIN and engine like in GMs COPO camaro program. Then they could just be "hint hint, this is the motor that fits in here" then you could register it as a specially constructed vehicle and be street legal.
might be the diesel engine....... that's an interesting question.

·
Registered
2014 T2 SE, 2021 KRX 1000 TE
102 Posts
Y'all sure make me feel old talkin that much horsepower. FJ80MAN hit it on the head in post #4. Sure more is better in most instants, but Kawasaki tends to be a little more conservative and does things right. They gave us a good, tough, reliable base to start from at a reasonable price. Sure you can get 150+ HP out of 1000cc's, but you would not like it. It would be gutless on the bottom and have to be constantly revved, which I recall is already a minor complaint with the KRX in some circles. You can tune the KRX to 130hp, but even that draws some complaints about having to use 91+ octane fuel. I think most of us bought the machine based on what we planned to do with it and then customize it for our specific wants. Want more horsepower, there are turbo kits and a supercharger kit available. And just a tad more info, the 1983 Chevy pickup with the 305 (5.0l) V8 only had 130hp.

·
Registered
2021 KRX SE
296 Posts
The krx is the machine it is. It's been out long enough people know it's not the 200 horse, drag racing, ripping, rooster tailing, blowing the tires off in ANY terrain machine. But IMO its hands down the most comfortable, capable, durable, reliable, 100 horse machine. The good news is for those people that feel they have bought the wrong machine, right now those people can sell the machine and recover as much of what they spent as ever right now. The utv market is crazy.

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,257 Posts
Why did you buy the 112 HP KRX?
Horsepower was not my primary buying influence. The quality of the build, the roominess of the interior, and the bang for the buck was.
Polaris and Canam have many offerings nearing the 200 HP number right from the factory.
I really didn’t fit well in those machines, and they sit low to the ground compared to the Kawasaki.

What was behind the decision to buy this machine, knowing you weren't going to be happy with the power
You don’t know these types of issues until you own it for a bit. Most dealerships don’t let you take new buggies out for test drives, so you really don’t have any idea how it’s going to perform.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is exactly why I started this thread. It will be 2 years in October that the KRX has been on the market. For at least 1-1/2 of those years people have been complaining about their perceived lack of power. It's no secrete, yet folks continue to buy the KRX, continue to act surprised by it, and continue to complain about it. I'm baffled by that.

·
Registered
2021 KRX SE
296 Posts
This is exactly why I started this thread. It will be 2 years in October that the KRX has been on the market. For at least 1-1/2 of those years people have been complaining about their perceived lack of power. It's no secrete, yet folks continue to buy the KRX, continue to act surprised by it, and continue to complain about it. I'm baffled by that.
Exactly

·
Premium Member
2020 KRX
1,257 Posts
It’s a beast of a machine, that’s why they continue to buy it, and then complain about power.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Again I ask. Why buy a KRX if speed is what you want? I have never run out of power climbing hills, even at 12,000'+ in elevation. It is a great design, and has plenty of power for what it was designed to do, not what folks "think" it should do. Big difference. I rarely run much over 30 mph or so and even more rarely ride on a road. If I did that kind of riding regularly, I would have bought either another Polaris, or a Canam. Even back in December 2019 it was well known that the KRX wasn't an over powered speed machine, and it was heavier than most. It's a trail riding, rock crawling animal and it excels at that. It will crawl up any hill and I prefer to not spin my tires when climbing. If you like doing that at 40+ mph, you bought the wrong machine.
This is why it is so interesting to me about what draws people to the KRX knowing it is a low geared heavy 112 hp machine.

·
Registered
229 Posts
One thing to remember is when Kawi released the KRX they were under the impression that they had aftermarket support from K&T that was supposed to release a turbo kit with it. Which is why they were at the launch of it showing off the kit to dealers. This is the same route Honda went with the Talon as well because neither wanted the headache of boosting these machines. But obviously K&T didn't make it happen so Kawi had to wait for the rest of the aftermarket to catch up to meet this demand. So yes Kawi did want it to be a 160+hp machine just not from them directly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
One thing to remember is when Kawi released the KRX they were under the impression that they hard aftermarket support from K&T that was supposed to release a turbo kit with it. Which is why they were at the launch of it showing of the kit to dealers. This is the same route Honda went with the Talon as well because neither wanted the headache of boosting these machines. But obviously K&T didn't make it happen so Kawi had to wait for the rest of the aftermarket to catch up to meet this demand. So yes Kawi did want it to be a 160+hp machine just not from them directly.
A turbo kit isn't really worth all the added plumbing and complexity for 5psi of boost. That's where your supercharger makes more sense. I just don't understand why Kawi would come out with a machine that has pretty much the lowest hp in its class. Bring a machine to market and dominate. 180-200hp.

Again I ask. Why buy a KRX if speed is what you want? I have never run out of power climbing hills, even at 12,000'+ in elevation. It is a great design, and has plenty of power for what it was designed to do, not what folks "think" it should do. Big difference. I rarely run much over 30 mph or so and even more rarely ride on a road. If I did that kind of riding regularly, I would have bought either another Polaris, or a Canam. Even back in December 2019 it was well known that the KRX wasn't an over powered speed machine, and it was heavier than most. It's a trail riding, rock crawling animal and it excels at that. It will crawl up any hill and I prefer to not spin my tires when climbing. If you like doing that at 40+ mph, you bought the wrong machine.
This is why it is so interesting to me about what draws people to the KRX knowing it is a low geared heavy 112 hp machine.
You're missing out on the entire aspect of owning a sport SXS if you stay under 30mph. A utility quad is also a trail riding, rock crawling animal, so is a ranger or a Kawi Mule. You can't stop a Honda Foreman with the permanent 4wd. But, it can only go down the trail 5-10mph. These machines are made to go fast and soak up the bumps. There's nothing better than coming around a turn totally sideways and getting that perfect slide out of the apex.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The KRX does not have near the lowest HP for its class. It is pretty much on par with all NA machines. KRX 112 hp, Honda Talon 108 hp, Polaris 1000 RZR 110 hp. The difference is that all the larger and overbuilt parts on the KRX add up to about 400 to 450 lbs more from the start. Add to that the lower gearing the KRX has and you may perceive it to be under powered. For it's weight, yes it could use more power. I think if it had come with maybe 120 to 130 hp off the showroom floor we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
We grew up on super (now Outlaw)late model dirt track racing (go Greg Saterlee!- local boy). Tagman and big parm made great points...I would have bought the factory kit. Now, I would have bought the x3, no brand loyalty here. Still the motor is 5 years behind the market. The question is how many more would you buy? Are you going to be excited to get the samething 5 years from now?

1 - 20 of 101 Posts