Kawasaki KRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my KFI mount and HF Badlands 5000 winch mounted yesterday. Took a couple hours, bolt holes were tight clearances but finally got all 4 winch bolts in. Highly recommend the KFI kit off ebay.

Now wiring. I'm mounting my contactor on the back firewall rear of behind the battery. I've found the corregated pre-plumbed loom that you thread the wire through. What gauge yellow and blue wiring do people run up to the winch? I'm thinking 6 awg? and how many feet will I need? I'm figuring about 12 feet each?

off to the local wire shop, and just wondering what to buy.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it was a bear, but I got 2 of the 4 awg wires pulled thru the conduit, using a wire spool snake. Local battery shop I drove the machine to curbside and they crimped clean connectors at both ends. VERY clean install and looming. <insert happy dance here>

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rocky, did you have to customize or fab anything to install the badlands 5000 winch? Does It fit inside the frame like the warn appears to? I looked at the badlands 5000 winch but I was concerned the length (15-4/5 in) was going to cause problem. Could you post a pic?

TX

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,478 Posts
it was a bear, but I got 2 of the 4 awg wires pulled thru the conduit, using a wire spool snake. Local battery shop I drove the machine to curbside and they crimped clean connectors at both ends. VERY clean install and looming. <insert happy dance here>
Why 4 - 4awg wires in the conduit? Only need two from the contactor to the winch. Wires from the contactor to the switch are a much lighter gauge, and fit through the same conduit without issue.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Badlands 5000 fits perfect, KFI mount. Only issue is the roller fairlead, which you have to drift the holes (6" vs 6.5") or I just tack welded the fairlead on instead. Many Many people seem to use the Badlands 5000 as with a 20% off harbor freight coupon it's only $160 bucks!

only 2 wires were pulled thru the conduit......4 awg. my contactor I mounted behind the battery on the firewall.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Kawasaki KRX
1,478 Posts
Badlands 5000 fits perfect, KFI mount. Only issue is the roller fairlead, which you have to drift the holes (6" vs 6.5") or I just tack welded the fairlead on instead. Many Many people seem to use the Badlands 5000 as with a 20% off harbor freight coupon it's only $160 bucks!

only 2 wires were pulled thru the conduit......4 awg. my contactor I mounted behind the battery on the firewall.
My bad. I think I misread your post...😣

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Rocky, I'm going to order the KFI mount tonight and hopefully purchase the winch (download a coupon) over the weekend. Did you use the KFI Roller Fairlead (WIDE) UTV- RF? Badlands appears to get pretty good reviews and the price is great so I'll give it a try. Thank you again.

Flounder

·
Registered
11 Posts
In my search for winch components and always wanting to save where I can while being safe I wondered if I can use this wire to run to the winch. I realize its not Yellow and Blue but I could label it with Yellow and Blue electrical tape. $18.85 and Prime on Amazon

Thanks for any feedback. Free shipping returns if this is a bad idea.

Flounder

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that;s not going to fit through the factory conduit . here's What I did: Go to a local auto specialized battery store and get single conductor 4 awg, red/black 6 awg most likely will do, but compare the O.D of the insulation. 6awg may be a bit smaller OD...........I bought 4 gauge and the twin wire BARELY pulled through the conduit......I bought 15 feet of red and black single wires, you "Could" get by with 12................actual run is about 7 foot,........but I had to feed one wire through, then taped second wire to first, then pulled the pair through. I wound up with about 7 foot left over, but pulling the wires is a BITCH!!! hope this helps. The auto store can also crimp on the wire lugs for the contactor end. once I pulled wire and fastened to the contactor, I was able to cut off excess at the winch, then took machine down to them to crimp on the winch termination point.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Rocky, I was planning to use some KY to pull the battery cables. I thought I had found a cheap and safe solution but getting the wire locally is probably a better idea and getting the terminal ends crimped.

Thanks

Flounder

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.